Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

One of my favourite things was at the flood relief concert at McMahon she came out with just a guitarist and violinist and played a really stripped down set. She started with "Could I be your girl" and then after, mentioned to the crowd with tongue in cheek 'Well, that was all our up tempo material, now we encourage you to just......have a rest".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #42
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

She asked AMP to take her off their playlist during this. So, now it's punishment and censorship? Seems like it can't be both.

https://twitter.com/jannarden/status/497536506270322689
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #43
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Artistic integrity aside do artists get less money if the entire song is not played? Not a huge fan of Amp radio but isn't half a song on the radio better for a young artist than no radio play?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #44
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sadly, FUEL was a lot like the original Winnipeg Jets. Far more people claim to have cared about the station after it was gone than did when it was on the air.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Will AMP have to pay more royalties for logging more songs?

http://www.socan.ca/creators/about-royalties#radio
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #46
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was a big fan of Fuel. I even got to tape a special New Years Eve show where I introduced my top 5 songs with the morning crew.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #47
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
She asked AMP to take her off their playlist during this. So, now it's punishment and censorship? Seems like it can't be both.

Yes it can.
She asked to be pulled from Amp. Newcap is pulling her from all their stations.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #48
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

She asked Amp to take her off their playlist. NewCap Radio responded by taking her off the playlist of every station they own.

NewCap is the second-largest private radio broadcaster in Canada. They have nearly 100 radio stations across the country, with at least one in every province except Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec. They have stations in every city in Canada with a population over 1 million, except for Montréal. They also own a lot of stations in small markets, where they're the only stations in town.

That's basically the point of her argument. NewCap is so big that smaller artists who need radio airplay to get noticed by the public can't afford to speak out against this change because they fear the backlash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Artistic integrity aside do artists get less money if the entire song is not played? Not a huge fan of Amp radio but isn't half a song on the radio better for a young artist than no radio play?
Royalties don't have to be paid if less than 60 seconds of the song is played, otherwise they'd get paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Will AMP have to pay more royalties for logging more songs?

http://www.socan.ca/creators/about-royalties#radio
Royalties are paid as a percentage of gross revenue not on a per song basis. Stations that play music for less than 20% of their broadcast time pay a reduced rate (1.5% of gross revenue). All other music stations pay 3.2% of their first $1.25 million in gross revenue for the year, and 4.4% on the rest (http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2014/2...l/sup1-eng.php).

If this helps increase Amp's revenue without decreasing the revenues of the other stations, it will be an overall bump in royalties received by the artists.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #49
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really love Jann and pretty much everything she has ever stood for. I follow her on Facebook and, well, she gets pretty opinionated about stuff.

She did touch on the "artistic integrity" thing. She said she spoke out against AMP totally realizing that they would never have cut one of her songs since they never played her music to begin with. I think her statement was "they aren't playing Leonard Cohen over there". But she said that if she didn't stand up now, where it starts, it might get a foothold and be picked up as a format for other stations. Easier to come out against it right from the start even when it isn't going to affect you. For two reasons. She has the resources to fight this where others do not. And someday this COULD affect her.

Sept. 25th I am seeing Jann play at the National Arts Centre. It will be my first time seeing her live in 20 years. Last time she was opening for Jian Gomeshi and the rest of Moxy Fruvous. First time I ever went to a concert for the opening act more than the main.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's basically the point of her argument. NewCap is so big that smaller artists who need radio airplay to get noticed by the public can't afford to speak out against this change because they fear the backlash.
Exactly. Newcap is trying to punish Jann Arden for speaking out against them while making it very plain what will happen to any other artists who speak out. It is a slimy way to silence criticism. Fortunately for me, I don't listen to either of their Calgary stations anyway, so no need to boycott them.

Also, for those listing off the idiotic things AMP has done over time, don't forget that they gave away a breast augmentation surgery as a prize once.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 08-11-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #51
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQorMILDEW View Post
How can anyone even listen to the crap music they play every day?

Their music director is lazy and should've been fired months ago. Amp, virgin and 101.5 are what's wrong with radio.
It might be because not everyone has the same tastes as you. Actually the fact that there are three radio stations playing this type of music probably means most of the public disagree with your taste in music.

Strange.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #52
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

as someone who has arrived in Canada in the last 3 years, I still don't get who or what Jann Arden is?
Sure she's a songwriter but i've only seen her on CBC being a 'talking head' multiple times - listening to her music im kinda guessing she's a major winner from CRTC rules.
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #53
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofillips View Post
as someone who has arrived in Canada in the last 3 years, I still don't get who or what Jann Arden is?
I saw her at blockbuster once. Not sure if that helps.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Sure she's a songwriter but i've only seen her on CBC being a 'talking head' multiple times - listening to her music im kinda guessing she's a major winner from CRTC rules.
They really need to scrap those Canadian content rules.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #55
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I listened to AMP on the way home yesterday, just to see if I liked the format or not. I didn't notice the shortened versions of songs I don't care for, but I did notice it on the songs that I liked. After it happening a few times, I decided I didn't like it. I'm not outraged by it, but it bothered me enough whenever I did notice it to decide it sucked. But I guess it did make me take a listen to them for a bit, which is more than usual. Back to good ol' 660 News for me!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #56
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
... listening to her music im kinda guessing she's a major winner from CRTC rules.
Eh? If your suggestion is that her music is so bad she never would have made it without CANCON, I would suggest that you try not being the sole judge and jury of what constitutes good music. I have 40 of Jann's songs on my phone and enjoy all of them.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Devils'Advocate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They really need to scrap those Canadian content rules.
They shouldn't be scrapped, but amended so that radio stations can't get away with playing the same 10 Canadian bands all of the time (if the intent is to promote and develop new Canadian artists).
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #58
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the change is over....

Quote:
But Steve Jones, vice-president of programming, says the station went back to its original format today.

He says there were threats of lawsuits on behalf of a number of unnamed musical artists and the company decided it wasn’t worth it to continue.

Jones says he is convinced that the format is a good one and could be rejigged and brought back in the future.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1516116/ca...t-song-format/
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #59
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate 90% of the music they play, but shorter/more songs do in fact work in keeping a listener's attention.

However, for any real artist, playing 60% of a song you wrote, when you wrote it with the intention of it being heard in its entirety, must be infuriating (I would be).

But these particular artists make #### music anyways, so I doubt enough care was put into their product to really bother them. Repetitive, looped, digital sludge is all it is.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #60
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been back just about a year now, I'm honestly trying to remember if I've ever listened to any other station but FAN 960. I don't even know what station AMP or any of these other ones are on. I guess I just assumed most on CP were the same during their commute.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote