Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #41
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still hoping that Danny Taylor gets signed and we see Taylor getting 60% of the starts and Brust getting 40% or something along those lines.

Taylor showed he could handle 60% of the workload last season, so I'm sure he can do it again.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I'm still hoping that Danny Taylor gets signed and we see Taylor getting 60% of the starts and Brust getting 40% or something along those lines.

Taylor showed he could handle 60% of the workload last season, so I'm sure he can do it again.
I think the only way another goalie gets signed is if Karlsson or Irving gets moved/leaves.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #43
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I think the only way another goalie gets signed is if Karlsson or Irving gets moved/leaves.
You're right, and I think that will happen.

I think Irving will be the Flames backup and I think Karlsson will refuse to play in Abbotsford where he'll probably go back to Sweden.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #44
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated 2012/13 Heat Building Blocks, with G Danny Taylor signed to an AHL deal.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Forwards

NHL Contract, Played Some NHL Last Season

1. Krys Kolanos (30) C/W
2. Lance Bouma (22) C/W
3. Roman Horak (22) C/W
4. Greg Nemisz (22) C/W
5. Paul Byron (23) C/W
6. Akim Aliu (23) W

NHL Contract, Didn't Play NHL Last Season

7. Ben Street (25) C
8. Ben Walter (26) C
9. Max Reinhart (20) C
10. Ryan Howse (21) W
11. Michael Ferland (20) W
12. Carter Bancks (22) W
13. David Eddy (22) C/W

AHL Contract

14. Dustin Sylvester (23) C
15. Quinton Laing (33) LW
16. Adam Estoclet (23) F

NHL Contract, Likely AHL/ECHL/Back To Junior Next Season

17. Turner Elson (20) W
18. Gaelen Patterson (22) C/W
19. Mitch Wahl (22) C
20. Bryan Cameron (23) W

Defense

1. Brett Carson (26)
2. Joe Piskula (27)

3. Chris Breen (22)
4. James Martin (20)
5. Brady Lamb (23)

AHL Contract

6. Zach McElvie (27)
7. Nick Tuzzolino (26)
8. Joe Callahan (29)

Goalies

1. Leland Irving (24)
2. Henrik Karlsson (28)

3. Joni Ortio (21)[/QUOTE]

AHL Contract

4. Barry Brust (29)
5. Danny Taylor (26)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #45
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
wranglers

If the unfortunate event of a NHL lockout happens this season, would Blair Jones or any other Calgary Flame be eligible (or likely) to play in the AHL?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #46
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I think only players with two-way deals are eligible to play in the AHL if their is a lock-out but i could be wrong. I think the only way guys on one-way deals could play in the AHL during a lock out is if they clear wavers and if we put a player like Backlund on wavers he will most defiantly get picked up. But our AHL line-up with Baertschi, Backlund, Bouma, Jones and Brodie their would be one of the best in the AHL.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 08-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #47
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This doesn't have too much to do with the Heat, but I'll mention it anyways and it'll probably ruin everyone's day:

If there's a lockout, the OKC Barons are going to win the Calder Cup hands down. Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov all on the Barons... ugh.

However, there is a chance that since they're NHL-level talent now that they'd go play overseas. God, let's hope so.

*EDIT* Nevermind, I think they might be waiver eligible.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #48
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This doesn't have too much to do with the Heat, but I'll mention it anyways and it'll probably ruin everyone's day:

If there's a lockout, the OKC Barons are going to win the Calder Cup hands down. Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov all on the Barons... ugh.

However, there is a chance that since they're NHL-level talent now that they'd go play overseas. God, let's hope so.

*EDIT* Nevermind, I think they might be waiver eligible.
Yukapov for sure will not be permitted due to his age and playing in the CHL. RNH is also under 20 but with a full NHL season I am not sure if he has to be sed to Red Deer or not. I am not sure about Eberle and Hall.

Edit - Did some looking around

Taylor Hall is exempt from waivers for the upcoming season.
Jordan Eberle is NOT exempt from waivers for the upcoming season.
Ryan Nugent Hopkins is CHL eligible but since he has a full NHL season under his belt he would likely be allowed to play in the AHL as it was allowed with Patrice Bergeron.
Nail Yakupov is not AHL eligible.

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 08-13-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #49
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on EXTENSIVE research using the CapGeek waiver calculator, the following Flames are waiver exempt:

G: Joni Ortio
D: T.J. Brodie, Chris Breen, James Martin, Brady Lamb
F: Roman Cervenka, Bryan Cameron, David Eddy, Carter Bancks, Sven Baertschi, Greg Nemisz, Roman Horak, Mitch Wahl, Lance Bouma, Max Reinhart, Ryan Howse, Turner Elson, Gaelan Patterson, Michael Ferland, Ben Street

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #50
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Based on EXTENSIVE research using the CapGeek waiver calculator, the following Flames are waiver exempt:

G: Joni Ortio
D: T.J. Brodie, Chris Breen, James Martin, Brady Lamb
F: Roman Cervenka, Bryan Cameron, David Eddy, Carter Bancks, Sven Baertschi, Greg Nemisz, Roman Horak, Mitch Wahl, Lance Bouma, Max Reinhart, Ryan Howse, Turner Elson, Gaelan Patterson, Michael Ferland, Ben Street
that waiver calculator is a pain and takes forever. thank god for tabbed browsing and quick keys
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #51
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cervenka was the biggest pain to figure out, but he's actually a case SPECIFICALLY referenced in the CBA.

He's 26 and in his first NHL season. He's exempt from waivers this season, but this season ONLY.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #52
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that one was, fortunately someone else explained that to me just after he was signed.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #53
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what type of clause there is in Cervenka's contract in the case of an NHL lockout.

Would love to see him here in Abby, but I doubt he comes here.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #54
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder what type of clause there is in Cervenka's contract in the case of an NHL lockout.

Cervenka's contract would roll over I believe since he doesn't have a season of NHL experience. During the last lockout players only saw a year of their contracts disappear if they had at least 1 year of NHL service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #55
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

In absence of a CBA is anyone really waiver eligible? I would think there would be a lock down on player transactions following Sep 15 if a new CBA isn't signed. I could be wrong though.

It doesn't directly affect the Heat though. Only Piskula, Walter, and Kolanos are skaters that are waiver eligible and they are all going to the Heat anyway (and won't be claimed). The only guy I see having a problem clearing is Irving.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #56
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Irving even waiver eligible? He hasn't played many NHL games at all.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Irving even waiver eligible? He hasn't played many NHL games at all.
It's based on [a] years since you signed a pro deal and [b] NHL games played.

He signed with the Flames during the 2006-07 season, had the contract slide once and had four years under pro deals. Under the CBA, he had five years of waiver exempt status. He's used them already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #58
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I think only players with two-way deals are eligible to play in the AHL if their is a lock-out but i could be wrong. I think the only way guys on one-way deals could play in the AHL during a lock out is if they clear wavers and if we put a player like Backlund on wavers he will most defiantly get picked up. But our AHL line-up with Baertschi, Backlund, Bouma, Jones and Brodie their would be one of the best in the AHL.
One way deals have nothing to do with waivers and shouldn't have anything to do with AHL eligibility as well.

One way deal/Two Way deals only have to do with how much you get paid at NHL versus AHL. One way you get paid same no matter where you play, two way you get paid one salary in NHL and less if in the AHL.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #59
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
In absence of a CBA is anyone really waiver eligible? I would think there would be a lock down on player transactions following Sep 15 if a new CBA isn't signed. I could be wrong though.

It doesn't directly affect the Heat though. Only Piskula, Walter, and Kolanos are skaters that are waiver eligible and they are all going to the Heat anyway (and won't be claimed). The only guy I see having a problem clearing is Irving.
I wondered the same thing myself but the situation last time around was the same with the CBA expired and I found articles discussing waiver eligibility with regards to players playing in the AHL. I don't know for sure but based on this I'm pretty sure there's not a lockdown on player transactions. Perhaps it's because waiver transactions don't completely fall within the CBA or something.

Quote:

While I don't think there's much chance of him playing in the AHL, there still might be a little hope. I think he talked about coming to train with some of the players and get acclimated in Calgary in mid August. If he's over here and maybe things aren't resolved at the start of the NHL season but looking kinda close, then who knows?
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stampede2TheCup For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #60
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am just wondering where Heat fans see Laing.

Street, Reinhart, Ferland, Eddy, Estoclet, and Aliu are (basically) all new additions to the team. Howse should be full time next season. Leblond and Rheault are the only full timers leaving. Though it is likely Patterson is dropped to the ECHL, loaned to another club, or negotiates a contract release.

But that still leaves 15 forwards fighting for 12 spots. 16 if Wahl doesn't get put into the ECHL. It gets much worse if there is a lock out as Baertschi and Bouma will be slotted in. Possibly Backlund or Cervenka as well.

So where to the players with AHL contracts go? Sylvester was a top scorer on the heat and has some NHL potential so he will probably get a spot. Estoclet is a depth signing and will probably provide injury support. But where does Laing fit? I don't see room for him on the roster. But he has another year and is the captain. Curious to see the opinion of those that watch the Heat.

Byron-Walter-Kolanos
Sylvester-Street-Eddy
Horak-Nemisz-Howse
Ferland-Reinhart-Aliu
Bancks, Laing, Estoclet

(Wahl-Cameron-Patterson)

Obviously injuries and call-ups happen so the roster won't be full all season. But benching the Captain to start the season is unusual. So what do they do?
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote