Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #41
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Not worth the risk.
Depends on what it is that you're risking. I mean I'd be willing to trade "future considerations" where it's pre-determined that the return is fair value if he signs and some bum off the depth charts if he doesn't.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a tough call

if he has a team set in mind and that team finds out through back channels they wouldn't give anything up when they know they can get him for free

from the sounds of it the Canucks/Leafs/Oilers/Rangers are thought to be the front runners from reading a few guys throughout this year
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Not worth the risk. If he doesn’t sign with the Ducks I assume it is because he wants to leverage his status as a free agent, and as such I would doubt any other team could be successful signing him.
If the Ducks trade his rights they will grant the other team permission to negotiate with Sshultz before the trade is finalized. Same thing we did with Erixon. Otherwise no team is giving them value for Schultz.

And Schultz wants to pick his location. Not his price. Every team will be offering him the same ELC.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #44
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read somewhere he's from Kelowna and may want to sign with a team closer to his home. He sounds like a bit of a possibility to sign here but than again I don't approve of his FA game.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I read somewhere he's from Kelowna and may want to sign with a team closer to his home. He sounds like a bit of a possibility to sign here but than again I don't approve of his FA game.
From the sounds of it he wants top 4 opportunity. There is speculation he may want to be close to home. Which brings in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. With the biggest opportunity in Calgary and Edmonton.

In Edmonton he gets to own the D and play with players like Hall, Eberly, and Hopkins. In Calgary he still gets top 4 time but gets to play with Bouwmeester.

I have no idea where he would sign. But fingers are crossed.

As for the FA rules I agree with you. But those are the rules. And after losing Erixon this would be karma-tic retrobution.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #46
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Which brings in Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. With the biggest opportunity in Calgary and Edmonton.
If proximity to home is a factor then we have a shot. Money will be the same regardless of where he goes so it'll come down to other factors... some of which we have some of which they have.

Man, it'd be awesome if Feaster could pull a rabbit out of a hat on this file.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He would be given the chance for top 4 in Vancouver, he'd have to earn it (and probably the same in Calgary) but I could see him getting it and just taking Salo's minutes. With Edmonton he would basically just be given it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
He would be given the chance for top 4 in Vancouver, he'd have to earn it (and probably the same in Calgary) but I could see him getting it and just taking Salo's minutes. With Edmonton he would basically just be given it
Oh, I dunno. In Edmonton he'd have to beat out one of the many Giordano's they have kickin' around.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #49
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I doubt it. Chances are Vancouver fills that spot with a proven top 4 D via trade or free agency. In Calgary and Edmonton we can take bigger risks in giving a young D top minutes. Though he is going to have to earn it on any NHL team.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #50
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Oh, I dunno. In Edmonton he'd have to beat out one of the many Giordano's they have kickin' around.
The Kings and Dustin Brown were oh so lucky not to face the Oilers in the playoffs. They would have golfing after 4 games.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #51
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If he wants to be close to home and have the opportunity to play in the top4, it doesn't get any closer than Calgary. It also just happens that there is a vacant spot on the second pairing.

Hopefully Ramage is an inside track and tells Schultz good things about the Flames organization. Apparently, as long as a teammate isn't explicit (i.e. come to ____, they'll offer you ____), teammates telling each other about the organization and their experiences with the organization is not tampering.

Last edited by boogerz; 05-27-2012 at 11:28 AM.
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #52
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, if Shultz makes it to UFA status offer him ELC for a 1st overall pick. Sure its a lot of money for someone young and not NHL proven but its just money and will not hamper the Flames going forward.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #53
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Honestly, if Shultz makes it to UFA status offer him ELC for a 1st overall pick. Sure its a lot of money for someone young and not NHL proven but its just money and will not hamper the Flames going forward.
30 teams will be offering the max ELC contract. The choice is simply up to Schultz now.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #54
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

from Craig Button's twitter

Quote:
To add a little On Justin Schultz. NHL ready & a player I feel could be like Drew Doughty. Dynamic & controls game.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #55
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the Flames need to catch a break. I hope this kid becomes a Flame.

Highly unlikely, but I really really hope he does.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #56
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Rumors going around that a team already got to him and he has made up his mind. Anaheim thinking about filing tampering charges. Russo thinks the team is Toronto.

Last edited by OILFAN #81; 05-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #57
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didnt he not want to play with Gardiner or something like that?

I though I heard something like that before, but I'm probably wrong.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #58
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Rumors going around that a team already got to him and he has made up his mind. Anaheim thinking about filing tampering chargers. Russo thinks the team is Toronto.
Makes sense, his good buddy Jake Gardiner from U. of Wisconsin has probably been in touch. If this is true, the Leafs' blue-line will be in phenomenal shape with those two going forward.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #59
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Rumors going around that a team already got to him and he has made up his mind. Anaheim thinking about filing tampering charges. Russo thinks the team is Toronto.
Well if it's Toronto, I hope they do file.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #60
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hasnt Burke been warned about tampering with players before?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote