Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes because Canada needs more sub par Canadian programming like Sue Thomas FB eye, road to Avonlea, little mosque on the prarie and other low rent shows that need help to stay on the air.

Maybe they can bring back that Canadian show Small wonder about the robot girl.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #42
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
They didn't cancel it. A few of the cast decided they wanted to do other things.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
The only reason I see fit to try and salvage some kind of viability for the locals is to save local news.

It would suck not to have a local station that has news that effects Calgarians.
Meh. I get all of my news from CP and the interwebz anyways. I can't remember the last night I watched a morning or evening news broadcast.

IMO It would be a fair trade off not to have to wait a week for one of my shows to be on and then even worse shown at some stupid time and date. I like having most of my shows to watch Mon-Thur. I could see CTV/Global pushing things to Fridays & Weekends just to gain more viewers.

This would be a huge mistake by the CRTC and companies like Shaw, Rogers & Bell because I could just imagine the amounts of people going to illegal. Right now I don't mind paying my $80/month because I get everything I need/want, but if this happened that would change.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #43
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yes because Canada needs more sub par Canadian programming like Sue Thomas FB eye, road to Avonlea, little mosque on the prarie and other low rent shows that need help to stay on the air.

Maybe they can bring back that Canadian show Small wonder about the robot girl.
Humm...Small Wonder was actually American Cap...at least according to wiki. Sue Thomas was on PAX in the states before it was on in Canada, and Road to Avonlea was on in Canada and the States at the same time, like, say, Flashpoint is with CBS.
As for the topic at hand, I don't see the US networks being blocked, but stranger things have happened...Fox and it's various networks was blocked in NYC for a bit, and Versus is still off Direct TV.
Julio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #44
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only reason I see fit to try and salvage some kind of viability for the locals is to save local news.

It would suck not to have a local station that has news that effects Calgarians.
I have it on good authority that CTV and Global news programming is a loss leader. It's the American programming and subsequent ad revenue that it drives that brings in the revenue.

I also have a beef with stations like CTV here in Calgary that feel it is necessary to run almost the same half hour newscast three times in a row with three different sets of anchors each evening. That seems neither economical or necessary. Barb and Darryl could read the news once and they could replay it in a loop like SportsCentre (heck, they are owned by the same company I'm sure TSN could let them know how it's done).
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #45
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Actually, if it wasn't for hockey, I probably wouldn't even get cable anymore.
This. + Football of course...

Man do I ever wish I could get a simple cable package of:
ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX East & West <- Football
TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet & CBC <- Hockey & CFL

That's all I want, 12 channels, all HD, I pay $65/month or whatever it is for HD Plus and I watch all of 12 freaking channels...
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #46
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably wishful thinking, but I would be a supporter of individually negotiated prices for cable/satellite companies to pick up local broad casts if they were allowed to offer stations a la carte. Pick the stations you want, don't pay for the ones you never watch. Bundling less popular stations in the same tier or package as the stations people actually want is lame.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

CBC tries to go middle ground and mediate by suggestion a low price basic cable package that doesn't have this tax.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...s5pS25BQZIwuPw
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #48
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post

I also have a beef with stations like CTV here in Calgary that feel it is necessary to run almost the same half hour newscast three times in a row with three different sets of anchors each evening. That seems neither economical or necessary. Barb and Darryl could read the news once and they could replay it in a loop like SportsCentre (heck, they are owned by the same company I'm sure TSN could let them know how it's done).
But what if Druh does something shocking at City Hall? We need live coverage!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #49
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
But what if Druh does something shocking at City Hall? We need live coverage!
Then @C_Dig could take a moment or two from her twitter account to break in with a live update on air.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
It's probably wishful thinking, but I would be a supporter of individually negotiated prices for cable/satellite companies to pick up local broad casts if they were allowed to offer stations a la carte. Pick the stations you want, don't pay for the ones you never watch. Bundling less popular stations in the same tier or package as the stations people actually want is lame.
That's the only way I'll ever pick cable back up.

The irony there is that I would pick up CTV and Global, but not the American stations. Why? Because I want Canadian news, and I can get the same shows as I'd see on an American station anyway.

Don't make me pay $50 to start when all I want, and all I would ever watch are CFCN, TSN, Space and Discovery.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #51
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:

I could see other local stations picking up the slack- like CityTV, Omni, or if nothing else CBC.

What I could also see happening is small market US stations starting to cater more to Canadian local news. Take Spokane- they already include Calgary in their weather forcasts. Winnipeg would have Grand Forks, and I'm sure there are other US stations that are in < 100,000 people markets that would love to have major Canadian cities to cater to.

In fact back in the 80's and early 90's (when simsubbing was almost non-existant) in Winnipeg it wasn't uncommon to see more ads on the Grand Forks stations for Winnipeg businesses than US businesses.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transcripts from the first part of the hearing this week are online: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/transcript...dex.htm#tb1116

Has anyone seen a decent report/summary of what has been argued so far?