Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #41
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
We'll go with imdb.com
I don't know if we can do that.

They don't appear to classify any shows as Soap Operas (I checked some obvious daytime and prime time soaps and none had Soap as their genre).

Legal and medical also seem to not be IMDB genres.

Also, many reality elimination shows are also listed as game shows, so I don't know if we want to clarify that or not.

Personally, I don't think that any of the categories are confusing to the point of any argument, like there was with Titanic fitting into Non-Fiction in the movie draft.

I think if you can justify a pick into a category (and most will be pretty obvious), you should be able to make the pick, knowing that the pick can be challenged and overturned if need be. I doubt anyone will try to push the limits too far (and if they do, I trust the commish to make the call). For example, M*A*S*H would fit into medical, but even though Scully was a doctor, I don't think you could say The X-Files would fit into medical.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #42
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just so I have this straight, a show can fit in multiple categories but can only be taken once, right?

So Fawlty Towers can't be chosen for World since it's already been picked.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Just so I have this straight, a show can fit in multiple categories but can only be taken once, right?

So Fawlty Towers can't be chosen for World since it's already been picked.
Exactly.

However, later in the draft, if he wanted to, Jagger could move it to World and pick another show in the Sitcom category.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #44
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on my way out to a halloween party so here's my pick really quickly and I will add more to it tomorrow. In the SciFi/Fantasy category, Team MissTeeks selects her favorite series of all time, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I'm probably taking this too high but it's always been my favorite show and I really didn't want to miss out on it. I will add some clips and such tomorrow morning.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #45
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post

Nice pick.

I'm guessing I've seen maybe 20% of the episodes. This is one of those series I'd like to watch from start to finish.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #46
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I said I was done talking about M*A*S*H* but I wanted to add that it is one show that while predominantly comedic was just as good when it delved into the dramatic. It was very, very good when it was serious too.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #47
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Hmmm. I was never a huge fan of Buffy, but I am really liking David Boreanez right now, so I may have to give that show another chance.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #48
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't know if we can do that.

They don't appear to classify any shows as Soap Operas (I checked some obvious daytime and prime time soaps and none had Soap as their genre).

Legal and medical also seem to not be IMDB genres.

Also, many reality elimination shows are also listed as game shows, so I don't know if we want to clarify that or not.

Personally, I don't think that any of the categories are confusing to the point of any argument, like there was with Titanic fitting into Non-Fiction in the movie draft.

I think if you can justify a pick into a category (and most will be pretty obvious), you should be able to make the pick, knowing that the pick can be challenged and overturned if need be. I doubt anyone will try to push the limits too far (and if they do, I trust the commish to make the call). For example, M*A*S*H would fit into medical, but even though Scully was a doctor, I don't think you could say The X-Files would fit into medical.
We'll try the best we can. I'm sure there will be a few issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
I'm on my way out to a halloween party so here's my pick really quickly and I will add more to it tomorrow. In the SciFi/Fantasy category, Team MissTeeks selects her favorite series of all time, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I'm probably taking this too high but it's always been my favorite show and I really didn't want to miss out on it. I will add some clips and such tomorrow morning.
Team MissTeeks? Aww come on

and here's a picture.

Mmmmmm..

Last edited by GirlySports; 11-01-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #49
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Cool! You take the 21st spot now.
Glad to be in, but why aren't I taking his spot in the draft?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #50
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

With our first round pick, Team Emerald City is proud to select, in the category of Crime/Law, the show that changed everything... How could I not take it? The Sopranos

As its tagline suggests, The Sopranos not only redefined the idea of the gangster genre in American culture, it redefined what was possible in the medium of television itself. Such intense artistic license, character development and abstraction had rarely been seen before on the small screen, and the fact that it was met with such commercial success (on top of the obvious critical successes) had to have been seen as a bit of a surprise.

The Sopranos did what only the greatest cultural artifacts can do: it became an institution in and of itself. The postmodern gangster series offered up weekly critiques of contemporary life and events in ways so original, viewers could simply not get enough. We have David Chase and Tony Soprano to thank for opening the floodgates for it and the other US cable networks to continue to compete in the episodic format. They created an artistically brilliant show that was able to serve as THE template for what a television show could be. The fruits of their labours speak for themselves: Six Feet Under, The Shield, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Weeds, Mad Men, Entourage, Rescue Me and on and on and on...

It is difficult to imagine another show coming along anytime soon the scope and size of The Sopranos: both in terms of quality and in terms of cultural footprint.

Last edited by liamenator; 11-02-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #51
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice pick...knew that one would be gone before my first choice!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #52
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

First of all I would like to thank GirlySports for administering the draft and CalgaryPuck Off-Topic Board for the lovely venue this evening. I’d also like to congratulate Halifax-Drunk on his Hottie Draft victory, well done sir. Now down to business, with our first selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, one of the greatest television shows of all time. Staring the legendary Carroll O’Connor, the lovely Jean Stapleton, and launching the careers of Sally Struthers, and Rob Reiner; Running in series from 1971 through 1979, and winning 8 Golden Globes (with 21 nominations) and 22 Emmy’s (with 34 nominations) along the way; from the Pre-1980’s category, we humbly select from the Columbia Broadcasting Agency, All in the Family.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #53
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solid choice Q.

Also spawned a spin-off we might see taken later in the draft.

Archie Bunker is one of the greatest characters in TV history.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #54
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Solid choice Q.

Also spawned a spin-off we might see taken later in the draft.

Archie Bunker is one of the greatest characters in TV history.
Thanks, being born in the 80's it makes it difficult for me to really choose properly for television shows prior to 1980. Ergo, I wanted to get my pick in before it was gone.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #55
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Glad to be in, but why aren't I taking his spot in the draft?
Cause it's still early? Once the first round ends we're not replacing teams anymore, we're just throwing them out.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #56
Got Miikka?
One of the Nine

Exp:

Geez, the more I think about it the more I realize I could have had a blast playing in this draft - I didn't because I thought, What the hell do I know about a lot of TV? but about 5 different awesome shows just popped into my head and heck, a lot of ones I figured would have been long since been taken already are still out there (I know it's early but that is kind of the point). I hope someone out there has the same taste as me and builds a roster that is similar to the one I would make. So far the team with Fawlty Towers is the closest - that is a superlative choice.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #57
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Damn I wish we were doing a snake draft, being 2nd last sucks, but on the bright side I have at least 5 picks in each category already, but waiting this long again to make a pick is going to suck. Plus by the time that it gets back to me for the second time all the best shows will be gone.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #58
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great pick, Q...All in the Family was also my first choice for pre 80's. Damn the randomizer for placing me 12th!!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #59
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Damn I wish we were doing a snake draft, being 2nd last sucks, but on the bright side I have at least 5 picks in each category already, but waiting this long again to make a pick is going to suck. Plus by the time that it gets back to me for the second time all the best shows will be gone.
Heh, so you just have to think like the Red Wings do. They always draft late and somehow manage to draft well!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #60
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Yea but in the draft I would rather be the Lightning then the wings, oh well I am sure I can find a few Zetterbergs in here.