Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #41
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Once again, I'll use an example that people defending the use of sending files in MS Office format have conveniently ignored:

Do you send images in Photoshop's .psd format? No, of course you don't. That format is used for editing image files, but when it comes time to distribute the completed work, you'll save it as a JPEG or PNG or whatever. Sending MS Office documents that you don't intend for the recipeient to edit is the exact same thing. If you want to distribute a completed document, send it as a PDF.
i think thats a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. psd's are pretty rare. i can take a picture with my digital camera, put it on my computer and crop it and edit it and resize it without ever using photoshop or its psd format. i would say most users never need a program like photoshop to manage their image files.

on the other hand, microsoft has managed to make its office suite pretty much standard operating practice at all colleges and businesses i have been involved with. generally, everyone is expected to at least have a basic operating knowledge of office products like word, excel, and outlook. however, outside of graphic designers and such, not many people need photoshop skills for their job.

though i must say, i do agree with the concept of having completed documents be pdf's. on our website i do regularly ask people if the files they want added need to be edited by end users; if they don't i will convert to pdf. personally, i have no problem using pdf's for finished documents. there was just a terrible amount of microsoft/office hate in this thread.

while doc files are not quite as universally used as exe or jpg, they are still a very common file type that just about everyone can open up. so its the initial criticism that no one should use doc files for anything that i think got this all going.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #42
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bah, this debate is silly.

All hail TeX: http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?...56203&from=rss
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #43
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
there was just a terrible amount of microsoft/office hate in this thread.
I don't hate Microsoft or Office.

I'm just adament that people should follow best practices and distribute files in the proper format. MS Office files are for editing works-in-progress, PDF files are for viewing completed works.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #44
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I don't hate Microsoft or Office.

I'm just adament that people should follow best practices and distribute files in the proper format. MS Office files are for editing works-in-progress, PDF files are for viewing completed works.
No disagreement on the premise...but wanting to point out that pdf files are equally available for editing and ripping unless the pdf is locked down...something many people do not know how to do. adobe standard or adobe pro will allow editing out the ying yang...just as easily as office products allow.

but i do agree that the pdf format, for completed, formatted documents, can be an appropriate standard if properly locked down.

on the other hand, i myself find word incredibly easy to use. but that's just me.

anyone want to mess up the world and talk about anonymity and email security on the web?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #45
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
No disagreement on the premise...but wanting to point out that pdf files are equally available for editing and ripping unless the pdf is locked down...something many people do not know how to do. adobe standard or adobe pro will allow editing out the ying yang...just as easily as office products allow.

but i do agree that the pdf format, for completed, formatted documents, can be an appropriate standard if properly locked down.

on the other hand, i myself find word incredibly easy to use. but that's just me.

anyone want to mess up the world and talk about anonymity and email security on the web?
What is all the concern about locking down PDF's anyways? There are plenty of tools out there that would allow a user to unlock a PDF and have it...