Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2024, 01:08 PM   #41
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than cap floor, is there a need to sign anyone?

I suppose trade deadline day, but other than that…
Old 06-15-2024, 01:26 PM   #42
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I think they will target a veteran defenceman just to stabilize the bottom 2 pairs and improve depth for when Ras gets traded. Probably a similar signing to bring in a middle 6 forward for depth and stability.

I like the idea of signing Gio to a one day contract and let him retire as a Flame. That would be a nice storyline for the City and franchise.

Just no big splash or long term commitment please.
Yeah, I think that a top 4 D is pretty much a must, so that Miromanov, Kylington and Pachal are slotted properly, and are placed in a position to succeed.

If we have both Kylington, and Miromanov in the top 4 it would lead to a pretty porous defense, that would struggle to get the puck back. That would be a pretty bad/tough environment for the development of our younger players.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 01:35 PM   #43
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Any interesting Russians that can be enticed to come over, or has that window passed?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
According to this guy, Debrusk will be a Flame on July 1.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1801688796548972610

And then another random guy piled on with the below.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1801753818457325589

Tampering is out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Any interesting Russians that can be enticed to come over, or has that window passed?
Andrei. Kuzmenko.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 01:56 PM   #45
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Maxim Shabanov, he has been developing very nicely in the KHL. He's 23, but he's only 5'8", but he has a ton of skill. He has a pretty good shot, so he can beat goalies clean form the top of the circles. He has a decent speed and smooth hands, which make him pretty good on breakaways.

Not sure if he's too small, or if he would consider coming here, but I would give him a shot. His points increased from 31P(18G) in 67GPlast year to 50P(25G) in 64GP this season. It is his 2nd full season in the KHL.

Last edited by gvitaly; 06-15-2024 at 01:58 PM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 03:34 PM   #46
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames currently have 33 contracts on the books for next season. Most teams operate somewhere in the mid-40s during the season, but it can vary. I suspect the Flames will have around 45 which seems typical, and no lower than 40. Based on this assumption, the Flames will be adding between 7-12 players and no more than 17 (can only have 50 players under contract playing in North America). I am going to go with 12.

Current Flames free agents are below with ages in brackets. I don't know who will or won't be re-signed, but I make some more assumptions,

Forwards

Greer [27] (UFA - unlikely to be re-signed, but not against it)
Dube [25] (RFA - absolutely will not be re-signed)
Damiani [24] (RFA - unlikely to be re-signed)
Klapka [23] (RFA - re-signed)
Pelletier [23] (RFA - re-signed)
Schwindt [23] (RFA - re-signed)
Jones [25] (Group VI UFA - unlikely to be re-signed, but not against it)

Defense

Kylington [27] (UFA - hopefully re-signs, but starting to wonder what's up)
Gilbert [27] (UFA - unlikely to be re-signed, but not against it)
Okhotiuk [23] (RFA - qualified, but not signed)
Kuznetsov [22] (RFA - re-signed)
Solovyov [23] (RFA - re-signed)
Pysyk [32] (UFA - unlikely to be re-signed)
Oesterle [31] (UFA - unlikely to be re-signed)
Poolman [28] (UFA - unlikely to be re-signed)

Goalies

Wolf [23] (RFA - re-signed)
Dansk [32] (UFA - unlikely to be re-signed with Ignatjew coming in)

So going out on a limb, the Flames will re-sign 6 players, which would give them 6 jobs to fill. I am going to assume that 2 roster players are traded over the summer, and 3 brought in through trade. I am also going to assume that 2 drafted prospects are going to get contracts between now and September.

So to get to 45 contracts, the Flames will sign 3 free agents. This will include 2 NHL roster players (1 forward and 1 defenseman), and one AHL tweener.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-15-2024 at 08:34 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 07:01 PM   #47
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
After all, if there's one thing the Flames need it's another left shot winger.
Makes 1 expendable to trade for more future assets

Free asset helps make future assets - use that cap space
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 08:02 PM   #48
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Flames do bring in Debrusk, I think that sends a pretty clear message Kuzmenko and Mangiapanne will be moved. I also wonder if this might suggest there’s a market for Coleman the Flames are also interested in exploring.

To me, it’s fine to sign Debrusk. He’s young enough that the Flames can give him term without being too concerned of a cliff at the end of his deal, or if there is, it should be more than a year, or two. Further his cap hit shouldn’t be too bad. Player acquisitions have to be considered with more of an eye towards the mid-long term.

Anyone thinking the Flames should be selling every vet they possibly can and just replace them with picks or 22 year olds must be new here. The Flames don’t do that.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 08:44 PM   #49
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It seems rare that a team will sign absolutely zero free agents though. I would be surprised if the Flames don’t sign anyone. I’m not expecting anything big though.
Just please not Debrusk at what he'll likely get. I feel we're walking right into Brouwer again "he's already building a house here and wants to play here, how could we NOT sign him?!".

At 3-4 years at $5mil or less? Sure, that would fit alright while we're not competitive. But that;s not what he'll go for, it'll be 5+ years at $5+mil AAV. Hard no, hard hard no.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 08:57 PM   #50
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Just please not Debrusk at what he'll likely get. I feel we're walking right into Brouwer again "he's already building a house here and wants to play here, how could we NOT sign him?!".

At 3-4 years at $5mil or less? Sure, that would fit alright while we're not competitive. But that;s not what he'll go for, it'll be 5+ years at $5+mil AAV. Hard no, hard hard no.
Dude, 2019 was 5 years ago. $5/ for a top 9 winger in his late 20’s isn’t something the Flames, or any team for that matter, should be scared by.

Who do you think will be filling these spots anyway?

As for the Brouwer comparison, that’s pretty flimsy. Jake Debrusk and Troy Brouwer both have brown hair. Bad sign. Don’t do it Connie!! Also, never make a trade with the Leafs because it’s a guarantee they will fleece us again! Most of all, please be scared of your own shadow!!
Old 06-15-2024, 09:48 PM   #51
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there are trades for Mangiapane or Coleman pending, and this is the vet that you slot into their vacant spot then I guess it makes sense.

I really was hoping we could use that cap space to pry a player from a team looking to make cap space - either a solid player that fits the Flames timetable or someone that comes with sweeteners (more picks). Seems like smart teams do that every off season except the Flames.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 10:00 PM   #52
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
If there are trades for Mangiapane or Coleman pending, and this is the vet that you slot into their vacant spot then I guess it makes sense.

I really was hoping we could use that cap space to pry a player from a team looking to make cap space - either a solid player that fits the Flames timetable or someone that comes with sweeteners (more picks). Seems like smart teams do that every off season except the Flames.
Well, the Flames picked up Kuzmenko and Sharangovich. They could flip those two players for picks/prospects. That deserves some credit for being smart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 10:52 PM   #53
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I want more of the same though.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:12 PM   #54
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Debrusk signs here I bet a lot of fans will be happy to be proven wrong...guy always plays hard, especially in big games. You want guys that show up for rivals and not just against the Yotes or Sharks? He is one of them. He was one of Bostons best players in the playoffs.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:29 PM   #55
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If Debrusk signs here I bet a lot of fans will be happy to be proven wrong...guy always plays hard, especially in big games. You want guys that show up for rivals and not just against the Yotes or Sharks? He is one of them. He was one of Bostons best players in the playoffs.
If he signed with the Flames, I think it would be a good thing for a couple of reasons. I am sure he isn’t dumb and realizes where this team is in the rebuilding process. It would signify that he is willing to be part it. If he has the patience and wants to be part of the solution, that’s not a bad characteristic for a player to have. He is also one of the more high profile UFAs this year and for a team like the Flames which needs to work its image given the exodus of players over the past couple of seasons, it helps.

I think DeBrusk is a good player, but it’s not like signing him suddenly moves the needle so much that the overall state of the team or Conroy’s strategy changes. It would give management another asset and more flexibility for additional moves though. Getting DeBrusk would open up possibilities for future moves that could help the process, but isn’t a quick fix that suddenly takes the team away from where it is in the grand scheme of things.

There are only 3 ways to get assets in this league. Trading, drafting, and free agency, and the first typically involves giving up assets sometimes with a net loss. I think it is really short sighted for anyone to want the Flames to completely sit out free agency in any year. Being a rebuilding team might affect the kinds of players targeted, but it’s still essential to try and get some assets that way.
Old 06-16-2024, 02:15 PM   #56
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames aren't going to let the conditional pick dictate the way the build the roster for next season.

What will, seems to be the limit upon which they are willing to go to pay players. Seems Conroy has established a pay grade and won't go above it. It's going to be tough signing good FAs if there's no leeway for agents to haggle.

A thought I had about this and it's kind of a secondary thing , is that they don't want agents to use Flames offers for leverage with other teams. I wonder if Conny hates/hated being the bridesmaid on the giant FAs or trades they went after during his tenure in the front office.

IIrc, it started with Brad Richards, then the Eichel thing, Bishop just off the top of my head.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:03 PM   #57
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salim hinted that there could be a reunion of sorts with the Flames and a free agent. If that is true what are the options? I think the same guy that is claiming Debrusk is coming also stated someone was coming back?

Monahan, Brodie, Giordano, Lindholm, Zadorov, Toffoli, Tanev

I think the only somewhat realistic options would be Tanev or Monahan with Tanev filling the biggest hole. Monahan coming back would make sense to some degree unless Zary is the answer as a 2-3C.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:11 PM   #58
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monny baby. That's the only re union that matters. Maybe Gios 1 day retirement contract too.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:15 PM   #59
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Salim hinted that there could be a reunion of sorts with the Flames and a free agent. If that is true what are the options? I think the same guy that is claiming Debrusk is coming also stated someone was coming back?

Monahan, Brodie, Giordano, Lindholm, Zadorov, Toffoli, Tanev

I think the only somewhat realistic options would be Tanev or Monahan with Tanev filling the biggest hole. Monahan coming back would make sense to some degree unless Zary is the answer as a 2-3C.
IIRC, he said something like "an on-ice reunion", so it didn't necessarily mean a former Flame returning, but could also be former teammates. When he said that, I saw a lot of speculation that he meant Duclair reuniting with Huberdeau.