Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #41
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was pretty funny
Old 12-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think all visual displays should be penalized. Ring-kissing isn't as bad as the throat slashing the night before, but where do you draw the line? For me, it all has to be a penalty.

Kids watch their heroes. If they do it, kids will do it to. That's what I don't like about it.

I am old school and I would prefer to keep the game classy.
The game has never been "classy". If you're old school, then you've absolutely seem some #### that is far worse than some of the stuff that occurs today.

Besides, if Marchand is a hero to any child, then he's a hero for antics like that. There's just no justification you can use to say this is bad for the kids, sorry homie.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #43
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Marchand's coach didn't like it:

“We work with him and we are going to continue to work with him. The perception it gives our organization is not what you want to see with those kind of things. I don’t know what he said to you guys but it’s certainly something we are going to deal with. He’s too good a player, and we don’t want him to be a different player, but there are certain things we want him to be different at. From what I hear, what happened, that’s definitely not something we will accept in our organization.”

Although sometimes I think in situations like this the coach is just paying lip service...he may not be crazy about it but I really doubt there would be a real consequences for Marchand.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ouver-canucks/
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #44
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything against the nucks is fine with me haha
Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #45
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Enoch Root...

jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #46
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the description, I was expecting this to be pretty funny, but Marchand is such a hate-the-face guy that I think I'm incapable of appreciating anything that he does. He's just such a punk and really is bad for the game of hockey.

Having said that, I don't have any problem with what he did. Unlike his cheap shots and dives, trash talking and taunting are harmless.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #47
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Met him two days ago in Van. Nice enough guy, but definitely reminded me of those doofus hockey players I couldn't stand in high school.

Surprised how small he is. Barely even 5'10.

edit. Met most of the young guys on the Bruins, as well as Greg Campbell. They really did not like that Canucks team in 2011. Holy moley.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Met him two days ago in Van. Nice enough guy, but definitely reminded me of those doofus hockey players I couldn't stand in high school.

Surprised how small he is. Barely even 5'10.

edit. Met most of the young guys on the Bruins, as well as Greg Campbell. They really did not like that Canucks team in 2011. Holy moley.
It's funny how small some people look in real life. I partied with some of the Avs last weekend after they beat our Flames (they flew into Van that night). Duchene is so greasy it's insane. People list him as 200 or so but damn he didn't look it at all, Mac looked much bigger.
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #49
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems a tad ridiculous to do, especially when the Bruins were down at least a couple of goals. Just seems like being a piss poor loser and considering it didn't really motivate his team or any benefit for them, I'd say it was just him re-enforcing his ######bag status.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #50
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If they do it, kids will do it to.
If they do it, it will have zero meaning until they win the Cup.

Kissing your Stanley Cup Ring finger and lifting an invisible Stanley Cup isn't going to cause anything of harm if the kid mimics them
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #51
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of Marchand at all, but I thought that was some pretty damn funny trolling.

One thing I've never liked about the Canadian hockey culture is how incredibly uptight people tend to be about the smallest of things.

It's showbiz. As long as it's not a major distraction from the game itself, let the players act like it.

Last edited by Itse; 12-16-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see no problem with stuff like this. Simple trash talk, what's wrong with that?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #53
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, that's a bit much...he's way more effective when he slashes or spears someone, then seconds later does a perfectly timed embellishment to draw a penalty...what all top level agitators have perfected.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #54
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Dbag move by Marchand, but its against the same Canucks team that has a certain Mr. Kassian who used gestures to mock a player who's jaw he broke. So I'm cool with it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #55
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hotdogging is fine. But do it when you're winning, not when your team is being blown out.

If Marchand had been focusing on his play with the puck instead of the theatrics, his team might not have lost so badly.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #56
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's a punk. It really bugs me that someone borrowed the moniker "little ball of hate" for this cretin. The REAL "little ball of hate" would have ragdolled this punk (Pat Verbeek).
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #57
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #58
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like it stopped and got his picture taken with the imaginary cup at center ice
Old 12-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #59
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chirping has always been good for competition. If a player can back it up chances are they are a champion, if they can't there is a good chance they are just an idiot.
Marchand is not just a pest he is damn good hockey player. One of those kind of guys that is involved in getting the clutch goal or changes the momentum.
Marchand was saying i don't give a shat that you are beating us tonight we have our name on the cup and your ring.
Don't get me wrong as fans we respect the players that are modest too. My personal hockey idol was Bobby Orr and he was as modest/humble as they come but a fierce competitor, he shut up the opponents not with his mouth but his constant production on the ice.
The current Bruins have a lot of leadership on that team, various styles of leadership and motivators and believe it or not Marchand is one of them.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #60
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was against the Canucks so all taunting and even dirty play is fair game. Now, if it was Burrows doing something similar, then there'd be an issue. Burrows is trash. Same goes for Kesler. Marchand, meanwhile, is the type of player everyone would want on their team.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote