Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2024, 10:16 PM   #41
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy and Iginla were super friendly but I think everyone knows that.

Sean Monahan was really nice to me when I met him.

Daymond Langkow wasn’t rude to me but he wasn’t overly outgoing either.

I asked Mikael Backlund for a photo like 12 years ago and he said no. Granted, it was 2am, I was hammered, and it was in the middle of Cowboys. It was after a road game. I was leaving around 2am and he was just walking in. I think his wife used to work there? But yeah, can’t hold that against him. I’d have denied 18 year old N-E-B a photo as well. And he was polite when he said no.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:18 PM   #42
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is a beauty, met him at the Parachutes for Pets event. Took time to chat & signed my jersey + a picture. Never felt pressured to move on
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:19 PM   #43
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

David Wolf stole my apple strudel.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 10:30 PM   #44
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have generic white man face, and about a dozen retired Flames have come up and talked to me around town, on airplanes and even in Toronto over the years. Maybe it’s all their concussions. It’s really fun when it happens and a coworker is with me. “How to you know Ron Stern?” (I don’t) LOL

All have been amazing people in my brief interactions. Whomever I look like must be a great guy!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 10:32 PM   #45
Andrew
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bumped into bouma monahan and gaudreau. Bouma was not very friendly but gaudreau and monahan super nice
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:33 PM   #46
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the Flames I've met I'd say Denis Gauthier stood out as the friendliest. Iggy was nice but he was kind of quiet.

I can't really think of any bad experience I've had with not just Flames but any NHLer.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:33 PM   #47
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
David Wolf stole my apple strudel.
It's OK, he was always the 2nd Wolf in Flames fans' hearts.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:36 PM   #48
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ran into Brett Hull when I was a kid in Toronto of all places. It was when he played for St. Louis though. It wasn't just me, he was already talking to some fans by the time I walked up. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy and pretty engaging with fans.

I am sure they are just like anyone else. Sometimes you have time for it, and other times you're maybe not into it.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:07 PM   #49
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a counter to the Phaneuf stuff. He used to stop at Starbucks on the way to the dome and my younger cousin worked there. She says he was a nice friendly guy and a good tipper. Elisha Cuthbert was with him then and would often come in as well, and was super friendly too.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:17 PM   #50
Norland
Draft Pick

I met Zarley Zalapski during his stint with the Utah Grizzlies. I wouldn't say he was standoffish or aloof, just like he was on another planet. I always figured it was the shellshock of playing years in the nhl and ending up in the ihl.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:26 PM   #51
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Met a few idiot flames but Eric Lindros was the worst human I ever met, think a mix between Donald Trump and Dennis Rodman
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 12:11 AM   #52
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quick story for me. I was about 8 years old when Theo did his first hockey school in Calgary at the Leisure Center in the SE. I had never played organized hockey before, just outdoor rink stuff and ball hockey. I didn't really have the full gear set up, just skates, helmet, gloves, pucks etc for no reason other than it wasn't really needed.

Anyhow my mom dropped me off at the 1st day of the hockey school and Theo was actually running the school himself with a few assistants. He asked me about my gear/cup etc. I didn't know nothing. He took me upstairs to an office kinda pissed off and used the landline to call my mother. He proceeded to get fairly pissed off about how his hockey school wasn't a daycare and made a list of all the gear I needed. I could hear my mother apologizing profusely, indicating how we were Greek, my father worked in the restaurant business 14 hours a day and how my uncle, who played some minor pro hockey never helped her with any of this stuff. She got her list of stuff and we went downtown and I got all new gear and needed to learn how to wear it properly.

I became fairly close with Theo and his son Josh after that for a little while and my experience was always super positive I have always had nothing but positive personal and professional experiences with every member of the Flames.

It leads me to something I recall hearing once on Vancouver radio about a similar topic being discussed here. The TSN radio hosts were talking about how one of them had seen a marquee former player a few days ago at a downtown bar, drinking alone in a kinda sad, nobody knows who I am scenario. They didn't mention names but indicated he was a big deal in Vancouver and a first line player for a while (not Sedin twins btw) At some point a player like him would be annoyed generally at talking with fans, signing merch etc. Now that he was retired only a few years, nobody cared and gave any attention and this place was packed.

They debated on how if some players could perhaps enjoy being famous a little more because when it ends, it can end in a sad way.

Last edited by curves2000; 05-16-2024 at 12:47 AM.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 12:22 AM   #53
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Darryl Sutter was nice when I met him. Same with Regehr and Iginla.

Johnny Gaudreau paid for my meal at Quiznos once, he walked in and paid for 4 or 5 people who were in line. That was very random and didn't expect him to be that nice.

Fleury came to my school one time and it must have been just before he got sober. He was supposed to be giving an inspirational speech and he was clearly on something at the time and showed up late. I felt more bad for him than anything though during his speech that made no sense.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:47 AM   #54
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post

Fleury came to my school one time and it must have been just before he got sober. He was supposed to be giving an inspirational speech and he was clearly on something at the time and showed up late. I felt more bad for him than anything though during his speech that made no sense.
He got sober?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:18 AM   #55
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm only gonna speak on the Flames players who were awesome when I worked at the Dome:

Iggy - Possibly the most humble and generous person ever to step foot in the Dome. Also the man has jokes.

Housley - An absolute gem. Always stopped to talk with the security staff.

Savard - Hilariously profane and upbeat

Regehr - Quiet man, always waved hello and was super polite

Belak - Always had the best stories. The #### that man has experienced would make for an excellent comedy special

Fuhr - He would come sit at the security station at the player's entrance and chill with us. Genuinely interested in people and what they were up to. I wanted to hate him due to his greasy beginnings, but he was just too awesome to hold that against him.

Brathwaite - RAZOR sharp wit. That man LOVED to banter and shooot fun little barbs back and forth.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:11 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Oh yay. One of those threads where we use brief anecdotal experiences around a person to determine their entire personality, then rank them!

Because as we all know, catching a person on a bad day or stressful moment is a myth.

If you were a jerk for a minute you're just a jerk.

Brought to you by: the Fundamental Attributon Error

(But yeah some of these guys are definitely jerks..)
I mean, you could say the exact same if the question was who is the bestest human to fans off the ice. Until you get to know someone on a personal level, you can't rate their personality accurately from a single interaction. They are humans like us and have the same ups and downs we do.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:13 AM   #57
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Seems far fetched.

If Phanef was salking an individual to the point of having a restraining order placed, wouldn’t that have made the news in some fashion?
He was a no name . Nobody knew him. He could freely roamed the streets lol
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:15 AM   #58
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Oh yay. One of those threads where we use brief anecdotal experiences around a person to determine their entire personality, then rank them!

Because as we all know, catching a person on a bad day or stressful moment is a myth.

If you were a jerk for a minute you're just a jerk.

Brought to you by: the Fundamental Attributon Error

(But yeah some of these guys are definitely jerks..)
Yup or a guy like Dube , who was a nicest guy until…
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:28 AM   #59
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to counter some of the Vernon observations, I met him at a friend's place in Calgary and had a long conversation with him. We didn't talk hockey; he was genuinely interested in my work as I was living in Australia at the time and starting off my career in tech. He was familiar with my silicon valley company at the time from his time in San Jose and we had a good little chat about it.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:56 AM   #60
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard about some bad interactions with Mike Smith. Both in Calgary and around the league.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good