Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #41
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Jeez, I finally got around to checking out this show after you recommended it and My Lord this has to be the most messed up show I have ever seen. 10 minutes in and I had no idea what was really going on. I can't tell if it's a great show, or if I just enjoy watching something this insane, but I'll be finishing the entire first season in 3 days.

Even the title sequence in crazy as I have never seen it where the main acting credits are switched for each episode.
I think it takes about 3 or 4 episodes to really see whats going on in season 1.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #42
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I didn't realize these were 2nd episodes, but I watched them both last night and I laughed a lot. Will give them some time to see if I stay interested.
I am just happy I found that TVguide link before it aired, as thats where I found out they were the 2nd episodes.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #43
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Jeez, I finally got around to checking out this show after you recommended it and My Lord this has to be the most messed up show I have ever seen. 10 minutes in and I had no idea what was really going on. I can't tell if it's a great show, or if I just enjoy watching something this insane, but I'll be finishing the entire first season in 3 days.

Even the title sequence in crazy as I have never seen it where the main acting credits are switched for each episode.
Stick with it. It is very well done and Jessica Lange is amazing.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boardwalk Empire and Treme coming up! YAy!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #45
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Stick with it. It is very well done and Jessica Lange is amazing.
Oh I did, almost finished the season. The Practice was one of my favorite shows in the 90's, so this having Dylan McDermott in it pretty much forced me to get through the season. Quite a good show like you said, although to me the school shooting midway through the season was easily the most queasy part. It took me a while to get to sleep after seeing this before going to bed. Just way too realistic.

NSFW
Spoiler!
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #46
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Helter skelter.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #47
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

The promos for Season 2 are quite creepy as well.

Last edited by CofR; 09-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #48
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Was that Adam Levine? What the....
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #49
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
^Was that Adam Levine? What the....
Yep

Quote:
Indeed, details about AHS' second season have been few and far between, but this is what we do know: it will be set on the east coast, possibly in a mental instution and some season-one castmembers will be returning (Jessica Lange, Zachary Quinto, Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson). And now, apparently we know that Adam Levine is pretty much a lock to appear.
"It's going to be fun. And I told [Ryan] I really didn't know what I was doing but he didn't seem to really care," Levine says. "So I'm just going to go and try to [do] acting. I think I'm going to be kind of playing myself so hopefully it will be easy."
http://ca.eonline.com/news/305721/ad...ror-story-role
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #50
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gave Guys with Kids a shot despite some pretty poor reviews.

Anthony Anderson gets less funny the thinner he gets. But I thought Jesse Bradford and Zach Cregger were funny.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #51
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a show this year that is receiving incredible reviews from both critics and the public? I'm basically wondering if theres a new Lost or something like that out there to get into.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #52
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

A couple new shows tonight.
Vegas (CBS)
Ben and Kate (Fox)
The Mindy Project (Fox)
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #53
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I really liked Ben and Kate. Great, fast-paced and whitty jokes. Reminded me a lot of Arrested Development with so many layers of jokes.

I'll be watching this one.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #54
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Person of Interest is back for season two tonight. It's been a long week - watching Jesus go all Jason Bourne on people should be just what the doctor ordered.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #55
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched the premier for Elementary and really enjoyed it. It was more true Sherlock Holmes than the recent movies (though I did like those for what they are) even with the show making the interesting choice of having Holmes be a flawed, young, modern era man with some angst.

Plan on watching Last Resort soon, which received a positive review from Time Magazine's TV columnist, who I generally agreed with.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #56
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Is there a show this year that is receiving incredible reviews from both critics and the public? I'm basically wondering if theres a new Lost or something like that out there to get into.
Homeland is a fantastic show. It's not really anything like Lost, but it has great reviews from just about everyone. It also just won a boatload of Emmys.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #57
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I just watched the premier for Elementary and really enjoyed it. It was more true Sherlock Holmes than the recent movies (though I did like those for what they are) even with the show making the interesting choice of having Holmes be a flawed, young, modern era man with some angst.

Plan on watching Last Resort soon, which received a positive review from Time Magazine's TV columnist, who I generally agreed with.
You want me to ruin Elementary for you?

Watch Sherlock. It's a BBC series starting Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. There have only been 6 episodes in 2.5 years (because each episode is 1.5 hours long), but it is some of the best television produced in years.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #58
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dexter and Homeland return tonight! So excited!
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last Resort was actually really good. Interesting concept but I have no idea how they will be able to stretch the story into multiple seasons.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #60
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

I left despising what they did to the Sherlock lore.

I get that the "creators" are trying to be "fresh" and "cool" by making Watson a woman, also, a gorgeous, and talented actress at that. But the entire base of Sherlock and Watson is going to be ruined with some sort of awkward love story. Furthermore, I believe that they have alienated most Sherlock Holmes fans with this huge character rearrangement.

It changes the "elementary" choices of Sherlock Holmes by making it sexual. I like the fact that he is flawed, an addict and extremely selfish. But now the whole process is going to circle around sex and the tension it creates. Ridiculous.

It's just a lazy American style grab at trying to get both sexes to watch the show and it has no real reason other than that. It's ruined the series in it's infancy for me. Even if they make her a lesbian it will make the change even more meaningless because he was already a guy in the first place. (Of course they won't, as they have already foreshadowed the love interest model.)
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote