Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #41
Oilbert
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznTiburon View Post
And coburn is a first rounder
I think Brodie has the potential to have a Coburn like career.
Oilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbert View Post
I also don't think the downgrade of 1st to 13th is worth Erixon, sorry.
Anything more would be overpayment IMO. I like RNH but he's not Crosby, Stamkos, even Hall blue chip. Erixon (THN ranks him as the 15th best player in the world outside the NHL in their future watch) would immediately become the Oilers top defensive prospect and may be NHL ready. There's no way you can expect anything better than landing a guy like him as well as a top 15 pick for the 1st in this years draft. I'm not even sure that would be a good deal for the Flames as this draft is heavy with centers in the top 20 anyway.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-11-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #43
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with EE, the Flames should just stay the course and draft a center at 13th. If the option to trade up/down for some cap relief next season comes up I would look into that as well.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #44
Oilbert
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Anything more would be overpayment IMO. I like RNH but he's not Crosby, Stamkos, even Hall blue chip. Erixon (THN ranks him as the 15th best player in the world outside the NHL in their future watch) would immediately become the Oilers top defensive prospect and may be NHL ready. There's no way you can expect anything better than landing a guy like him as well as a top 15 pick for the 1st in this years draft. I'm not even sure that would be a good deal for the Flames as this draft is heavy with centers in the top 20 anyway.
I think both sides are happy with the assets they have.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #45
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, Brodie's ceiling is Brian Campbell, and I think we'd all be very happy with that (just not at 7M a year). Top 4 guy, undersized, but can move the puck well and skate his way out of trouble.

Erixon, if he absolutely maxed out, is a more defensively sound Visnovsky.

Now, of the two, I'd say the odds of reaching their max potential fall heavily in favor of Erixon; he looks REALLY polished for how young he is. But I hope both see time next year; we aren't one player away from contending, so we should give our best young players ice time so that the year after, when all our crap contracts are gone (except Stajan) we can really re-tool and go for it.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #46
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I may be pessimistic but even at his top end potential there is no way I ever see Erixon leading the league in scoring for defensemen.

He would have to improve by leaps and bounds to become a poor man's Visnovsky.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #47
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I may be pessimistic but even at his top end potential there is no way I ever see Erixon leading the league in scoring for defensemen.

He would have to improve by leaps and bounds to become a poor man's Visnovsky.
agreed. I envision a giordano type player without the physicality and shot blocking.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #48
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was wondering when the deadline is to sign your 2009 entry draft picks?. If unsigned they can re-enter the 2011 draft I believe. NHL teams used to be able to hold on to European players until they were 31 but not under this CBA they get treated just like players in Canadian Major Junior.

Not saying Tim Erixon is refusing to sign I am just curious of the date.

Last edited by Svartsengi; 05-11-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: incomplete info
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #49
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Toni Lydman seems like a better projection/comparison for Erixon than Campbell or Visnovsky. Well rounded, averaged sized, great skating euro, who's defensively sound without being physical, can move the puck, but doesn't have the enough offensive hockey sense to be a pp hog(at the NHL level)

If Erixon actually does become the next Toni Lydman, hopefully Sutter keeps him...so we don't have to see him on the top pairing of another team :facepalm:

Last edited by boogerz; 05-11-2011 at 10:54 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #50
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
I was wondering when the deadline is to sign your 2009 entry draft picks?. If unsigned they can re-enter the 2011 draft I believe. NHL teams used to be able to hold on to European players until they were 31 but not under this CBA they get treated just like players in Canadian Major Junior.

Not saying Tim Erixon is refusing to sign I am just curious of the date.
Yeah, I've been waiting for some news about anybody signing. Is Feaster on the job or what?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #51
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
If Erixon actually does become the next Toni Lydman, hopefully Sutter keeps him...so we don't have to see him on the top pairing of another team :facepalm:
Isn't that Feaster's job at the moment? Or did I miss the part where B Sutter takes over GM?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #52
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
To me, Brodie's ceiling is Brian Campbell, and I think we'd all be very happy with that (just not at 7M a year). Top 4 guy, undersized, but can move the puck well and skate his way out of trouble.

Now, of the two, I'd say the odds of reaching their max potential fall heavily in favor of Erixon; he looks REALLY polished for how young he is. But I hope both see time next year; we aren't one player away from contending, so we should give our best young players ice time so that the year after, when all our crap contracts are gone (except Stajan) we can really re-tool and go for it.
I would be pretty stoked if Brodie turned into a Brian Campbell type guy
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #53
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah, I've been waiting for some news about anybody signing. Is Feaster on the job or what?
Someone convince me not to worry... They'll sign him, won't they?
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #54
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbert View Post
Me too! I would love to see a Matt Duchene like player centering the 1st line in a few years!
RNH isnt going to be a Matt Duchene. I have watched him play in Red Deer over the past 3 years and he does not show any of the traits that Duchene does.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #55
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think people are assessing Brodie properly for fear of overrating him. Truth is, he has a lot of potential. He's not limited to Brian Campbell levels. Don't get me wrong, he probably won't ever reach his full potential but there's nothing glaringly obvious holding him back from being another Duncan Keith or the like. I'd say the chances are extremely small of him reaching that potential, but he's not undersized, he's a great skater, seems to have a head for the game offensively. If he can develop defensively and bring his offense to the NHL, he could be a top 2 guy.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #56
Oilbert
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
RNH isnt going to be a Matt Duchene. I have watched him play in Red Deer over the past 3 years and he does not show any of the traits that Duchene does.
Ok thanks for your opinion.

What are your projections on him?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #57
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know this thread is meant to compare the potential of Brodie and Erixon. But everytime I see the title 'Erixon or Brodie?' I laugh because in my mind it's Erixon AND Brodie.

Two great players to have in our system going forward. Brodie had a big impact in pre-season last year and if he works hard enough this summer could find his way onto the team.

Erixon to me is a Lidstrom-lite, and that is fantastic praise.

Again, two very solid d-men to have in our system.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #58
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its not a comparison that I have heard at all this year, but IMO he has Adam Oates lite written all over him.
A smaller player who can take over games by using speed, positioning and his passes, however he can be neutralized by playing him physically and if he were to be keyed on specifically he can dissapear in games.

However, his passing is immaculate. Like Oates, Tanguay or Thornton he has the ability to draw players towards him with his stickhandling ability and eventually drawing a 2 on 1 scenario, which then opens up another skater and RNH can hit him seemingly wherever that player is on the ice.

With all that, Oates would be a hell of a player to draft especially for the Oilers and what they are trying to build. What I am trying to say is that RNH is strictly a comlplimentary, playmaking player and would not be able to lead a team or be the #1 guy like Duchene can.

Last edited by DropIt; 05-12-2011 at 06:25 PM.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #59
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've seen of him, RHN is basically at best Tanguay or in that ball park. Good player, but not exceptional. None of the players in this draft are in that exceptional category. A lot of decent 2nd/3rd liner types but definitely no superstars. Larsson looks to me like Roman Hamrlik. Solid at both ends but not spectacular, a solid #3 but not someone you'd jump for joy at. Even the goalies suck badly this year which is unusual.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #60
Oilbert
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Its not a comparison that I have heard at all this year, but IMO he has Adam Oates written all over him.
A smaller player who can take over games by using speed, positioning and his passes, however he can be neutralized by playing him physically and if he were to be keyed on specifically he can dissapear in games.

However, his passing is immaculate. Like Oates, Tanguay or Thornton he has the ability to draw players towards him with his stickhandling ability and eventually drawing a 2 on 1 scenario, which then opens up another skater and RNH can hit him seemingly wherever that player is on the ice.

With all that, Oates would be a hell of a player to draft especially for the Oilers and what they are trying to build. What I am trying to say is that RNH is strictly a comlplimentary, playmaking player and would not be able to lead a team or be the #1 guy like Duchene can.
Thanks for the report! I appreciate the time and effort writing it!

Adam Oates would be superb! (If one can dream) However I hope RNH can be as good as the guy in my avatar, Doug Weight in his prime years.

And I don't think RNH needs to lead the team since it's Horcof, err Hall's team. I do agree with the pass first approach he has, and I think that's perfect for Eberle.