Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #41
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah, not a bad premiere. The plot with Lucky and that pregnant woman was interesting.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #42
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Yeah, not a bad premiere. The plot with Lucky and that pregnant woman was interesting.
You mean Nucky right? Not Lucky Luciano.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
You mean Nucky right? Not Lucky Luciano.
Ha! RW99 is like the FBI agent who couldn't tell the difference between Lucky, Nucky, Rothstien. On the phone in the hotel lobby.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #44
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Ha! RW99 is like the FBI agent who couldn't tell the difference between Lucky, Nucky, Rothstien. On the phone in the hotel lobby.
Haha ya, that scene was great.

"Does he look big to you?"
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #45
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll have to try and watch it again.. honestly I was a little disappointed? But who knows at this point. I ended up watching Cheech and Chong instead, haha. Perhaps it was my state of mind.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #46
Knut

Exp:

I really enjoyed the pilot. It took me some time to get used to Buscemi in the role, but by the end I thought he was perfectly suited for the role. Michael Shannon is great as usual, but i never really liked Michael Pitt's constant frown. Pitt just seems weird in everything he does.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #47
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loved the premiere, this will become must watch for me.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #48
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want to like this, but I don't know if I will keep watching. It's a little slow if that is the best way to put it. I had an exhausting day and was really tired....and ashamed to say I got lost. I have no real clue why they whacked the Italian in Chicago? I feel kind of dumb...surely someone else was as lost as I was at some points?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #49
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"Sausage McMuffin"...sorry but this character always come to mind when I see Buscemi.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #50
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I really want to like this, but I don't know if I will keep watching. It's a little slow if that is the best way to put it. I had an exhausting day and was really tired....and ashamed to say I got lost. I have no real clue why they whacked the Italian in Chicago? I feel kind of dumb...surely someone else was as lost as I was at some points?
You thought that episode was slow?!

Maybe I've just been watching too much Rubicon and Mad Men, but so much stuff happened in that hour plus of TV, not sure what you found slow.

I understand why you were lost with the amount of people they introduced. Others have complained about it too, it apparently gets easier in upcoming episodes. Luckily I am familiar with all the people introduced, so that definitely helped.

Explanation on the guy in Chicago in white if you're interested.
That was Big Jim Colosimo, Johnny Torrio's boss. Johnny Torrio was the mentor of Al Capone. Colosimo was old school and didn't want to go into prohibition, but Torrio did, so they killed him.

In all, I loved ... LOVED that premiere. Love the Scorsese style and I love that they're getting right into the meat and potatoes of prohibition. It's probably gonna be tough to match that episode visually, but man, I was excited for this series, and after that first episode, I'm beyond excited.

Last edited by nik-; 09-20-2010 at 11:22 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #51
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^yeah, slow would be the last word I would use to describe last night's premiere. They packed a lot into it. I've seen the next three episodes and while I think the pilot is the best, the next three don't really let up either.

Off topic, what do ya think of Rubicon?? It took me a few episodes, but now I'm totally into it. A solid complex thriller.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #52
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
^^^yeah, slow would be the last word I would use to describe last night's premiere. They packed a lot into it. I've seen the next three episodes and while I think the pilot is the best, the next three don't really let up either.

Off topic, what do ya think of Rubicon?? It took me a few episodes, but now I'm totally into it. A solid complex thriller.
I'm totally into it. I knew it was going to be a crawler when I came in, so I was prepared. The overall mystery is cool, but I'm also enjoying a peek into the day to day of what these people do. I like the characters as well. Also, I'm happy they brought in the girl who played Lena Basilone in the Pacific to be Will's neighbour ... she's a fox.

I hope it continues, the ratings have been pretty poor.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #53
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried watching this with the wife and it didn't go well.

I will try watching it when I am not distracted and see if it is better.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #54
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up for a second season as per Entertainment Weekly!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #55
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So, good episode last night. A lot more character development. It's good having the cop explain what's going on. Feel like I caught up with some of the stuff the pilot was referencing.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #56
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Also, more boobies on screen then you could shake a stick at in last night's episode. I tried.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 AM   #57
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too many posts in this thread and nothing in awhile. Does that mean people here don't like it?? I just finished watching Sunday's episode and I'm still into the show for sure. What we all saw coming with Nucky and Margaret finally happened, but I didn't think it would happen like that.

I like the supporting characters in this show a lot more than Nucky. Margaret is fantastic, Jimmy's great, but I think Agent Van Alden is my favorite. Total prick, total hard ass, doesn't put up with crap from anyone.

Anyone still watching Boardwalk??
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #58
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching religiously. Last Sunday's episode was the best yet. Eli getting hammered and making a fool of himself, Pearl and her unfortunate demise. Mrs. Darmody is a total MILF (GILF I guess it would be, so hot). Al Capone is a badass. It took me a few episodes to realize that Al is played by Stephen Graham (Tommy from Snatch)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #59
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mrs. Darmody is the same actress who played the girlfriend in Rounders, too lazy to imdb it. I've been watching, the characters are really what is keeping me watching. I've found the story is moving a little slow for my taste.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #60
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Mrs. Darmody is the same actress who played the girlfriend in Rounders, too lazy to imdb it. I've been watching, the characters are really what is keeping me watching. I've found the story is moving a little slow for my taste.
I think her name is Gretchen Mol.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
al capone , martin scorsese , nucky thompson , steve buscemi , terence winter