Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #41
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Anybody got any good recipes or suggestions for turkey leftovers?

Thanksgiving just passed and we ended up tossing a lot of week-old leftover turkey into the garbage can.

I can see the same thing happening come Christmas.... because it happens every year (the garbage thing that is).

I've yet to taste a homemade turkey soup that I like (at least one that I've made) and you can only do so many turkey pot pies.

Any suggestions?
Turkey Soup with Stuffing Dumplings

2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups onions, diced
1/2 cup each of carrots and celery, diced
2 cups button mushrooms quartered
1 Tbsp garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup sherry
4 cups turkey broth
2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Stuffing dumplings, recipe follows

1 Put the butter in a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot, and celery and sweat until soft, about 5 minutes.
2 Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
3 Sprinkle the flour, thyme, nutmeg, and pepper over the vegetables and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4 Deglaze with the sherry and simmer until nearly evaporated.
5 Add the broth, turkey, and cream. Use chicken broth if you have not made turkey broth from the turkey carcass. Slowly bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the soup into warm bowls and top each with 5 or 6 stuffing dumplings. The picture shows a large dumpling, but I prefer to make them smaller and basically serve them as croutons sprinkled on the soup.

Stuffing Dumplings

I purposely make more stuffing than necessary and bake it in a bowl on the side, just so I can make these stuffing dumplings for the turkey soup.

1 to 2 eggs, beaten
4 cups left over stuffing
1/4 cup turkey or chicken broth
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sage (optional)

1 Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2 Put the stuffing in a bowl and break up into smaller pieces. Add the parsley, chicken broth, and 1 beaten egg and mix with your hands until well combined. If you feel the stuffing mixture is still too dry, either add another beaten egg or a bit more broth. The egg is what helps bind the dumplings together. Taste and adust for salt and pepper if necessary. You could also add a bit of sage if so desired.
3 Shape into small balls about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the stuffing dumplings are browned and crispy on the outside but still soft inside.

Note: This recipe assumes that your stuffing was made using celery and onions. If it was not, finely dice about 1/2 cup of each, lightly sauté in a bit of butter until softened, and add to the stuffing mixture.

Last edited by redforever; 10-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #42
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

This salad is extremely healthy and does not wilt over time like other salads do. Even my husband likes this one and even requests it when he goes fishing for the day.

I use Meyer lemons when making this salad as they are not quite as tart as regular lemons. If you don't have Meyer lemons or can't find them in the supermarket, use regular lemons and start with only 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Then make the salad, toss with the dressing, and adjust for more lemon juice if necessary.

Kale Chickpea and Edamame Salad

Dressing
3 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
4 Tbsp light oil, such as canola
1 garlic clove, finely minced or crushed
3/4 tsp dried Italian herb blend
1/3 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Salad
4 cups kale, ribs removed, cut chiffonade style
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2/3 cup dried cranberries, plumped
1 cup frozen edamame beans, lightly rinsed under warm water
1/3 cup red onion, diced
Handful each of fresh mint and basil, minced
A few carrot shreds, for color

Garnish
Cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
Toasted slivered almonds
Feta cheese

Add all dressing ingredients to a large salad bowl and whisk until combined.
Add the rest of the ingredients except the garnish and toss well to combine.
This salad is best if covered and refrigerated for at least half an hour. Serve
the garnishes separately on the side.

Serves 6 to 8 as a side salad, or 3 to 4 as a main dish.

Note: To plump the cranberries, put them in a glass bowl, sprinkle 1 Tbsp water over the top, and microwave for 30 seconds. Cover and refrigerate until cooled. Drain any excess water from the cranberries before adding them to the salad.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I'm certainly full after eating, hence why I wait 3-4 hours before doing my workout, but it's not ridiculous to eat or anything. With a daily caloric intake of 1500 calories, I usually make my meals around 1200 calories, and get the surplus from snacks post-workout.
Probably a million things that could be said about your posts, and many things that have been said, but just this part made me think about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...ion_Experiment

"Semi-Starvation Period (24 weeks): During the 6-month semi-starvation period, each subject’s dietary intake was cut to approximately 1,560 calories per day."

"Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis...most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression...Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation."

"There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate."

This is also a really good write-up about some of the experiment: http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.fr/2...ieve-that.html

And, um, on topic...one of my favourite recipes for a quick and easy lunch is chickpeas, bocconcini cheese (cut into bite size pieces), and grape tomatoes, halved. Mix together however much sounds good to you for lunch along with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dill, and pepper. I don't have any specific measurements or anything, I generally just throw everything together until it looks like about enough and tastes good.
bcsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #44
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Eating lots of meat (chicken, pork tenderloin, sirloin steak), lots of fruit, lots of vegetables, and supplemented with protein shakes. As a percentage of my total caloric intake, protein makes up a significant portion of that. I would consider that high protein.
It's great that you're able to lose weight and gain muscle mass (congrats btw) but you would see better results spreading your meals out throughout the day. That keeps your body's blood sugar level constant and provides your body with consistent fuel throughout the day.

Also, what will be your plan to keep the weight off once you're off this odd diet? You would be better served to just start living a proper life style which includes a healthy diet now.

My advice - add back the breakfast and lunch while cutting back your splurge at dinner.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #45
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Enough with the salads. How about some man meals?
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #46
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
Enough with the salads. How about some man meals?
Here's some meat, potatoes, and sour cream for you.

Sausage and Potato Bake

6 to 8 Italian sausages (or your choice)
4 to 6 potatoes (I prefer Yukon gold)

1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, halved and sliced

1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped

1/2 green pepper or Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup Marsala

1/2 cup chicken stock, a bit more if needed
Salt and pepper to taste

1 Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease or spray an ovenproof casserole dish.

2 Brown the sausages or barbecue them until they’re almost, but not completely, cooked through. Remove sausages from the pan, cut into bite-sized pieces, and put in the prepared casserole dish.
3 Peel and slice the potatoes about 1/2 cm thick. Parboil, drain, and set aside.
4 Put the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and peppers and cook a few minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
5 Add the Marsala and cook off some of the alcohol. Add the sour cream and chicken broth and stir to combine. Allow everything to cook and bubble a few minutes until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6 Add the parboiled potatoes and stir to combine well. Put the potato, onion, and pepper mixture on top the sausages. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper. Cover with foil and place in the oven.

7 Bake 30 minutes and then remove the foil. Continue to bake another 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened and potatoes are cooked through.