Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #5961
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Umm... nothing?
That’s my point. Read the posts above mine. They were about how it was only unrealistic expectations that made the show suck.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 AM   #5962
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

so I finally just finished watching and it wasn't perfect but I didn't mind it at all. It was entertaining and it wrapped things up. I don't know what people were expecting.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #5963
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
so I finally just finished watching and it wasn't perfect but I didn't mind it at all. It was entertaining and it wrapped things up. I don't know what people were expecting.
Thats exactly the problem. Everyone was expecting something different and they didnt all get it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #5964
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats exactly the problem. Everyone was expecting something different and they didnt all get it.
Exactly. I was expecting at least Harry Potter and instead got Twilight.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #5965
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
With some time to reflect it really wasn't as bad as I first felt. Still, it just felt too rushed in the end, so the big pay-offs, twists, and reveals felt hollow. For instance, they always teased Dany's madness, but until she went full scorched earth the worst she had done was roast the Tarly's, but that had its logic and strategy (and she showed remorse to Sam).

In context, the ending was OK. When weighed against the entirety of the series, it was a let down.

Ah well, onto the spin-offs!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #5966
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Exactly. I was expecting at least Harry Potter and instead got Twilight.
I'm suspecting that you might have been watching the wrong show.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #5967
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People have clearly expressed, multiple times, what they were expecting. A well crafted ending where events reasonably built to a conclusion and didn't just race to it in the lazy manner they did in what we got.

It is not outlandish to expect well done storytelling in a TV show that did it for the majority of it's run, especially at the crux of the story.

So no, that's not "exactly the problem".
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #5968
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
I'm suspecting that you might have been watching the wrong show.
As an avid fantasy fan, seasons 1 to 4 were a total revelation. And as I said earlier, I was willing to forgive 5-7 for multiple reasons. The final season was just brutal.

No, it was the right series, but turned into something else.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #5969
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
With some time to reflect it really wasn't as bad as I first felt. Still, it just felt too rushed in the end, so the big pay-offs, twists, and reveals felt hollow. For instance, they always teased Dany's madness, but until she went full scorched earth the worst she had done was roast the Tarly's, but that had its logic and strategy (and she showed remorse to Sam).

In context, the ending was OK. When weighed against the entirety of the series, it was a let down.

Well, I'd say crucifying 163 "Nobles" whether they were guilty or not and feeding another one to the dragons.

Yeah and burning the Tarly's.

Her first instinct was pretty much always extreme, it was just that she had good advisors that appealed to her "Gentle Heart" which wasn't so gentle in the end.

We knew long before her best friends head bounced off of the ground in front of Kings Landing that there was just something a spark of if not madness, malignancy in her.

She was also consumed by the concept of breaking the wheel no matter who it hurt. I still liked the exchange between her and Jon when he asked her what would happen if people didn't agree with her vision of the world, and she simply replied that they didn't have a choice. It so summed up her character arc nicely.

I'm sure that her next move if Sansa didn't bend the knee was that she would have marched on the North and killed everyone there as being against her. If I could make a change or even extend the season, that would have been the change that I made. The conflict between Daeny's and Jon as she set forth to burn the North.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #5970
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy goes a little over the top but I had similar feelings about some of the character arcs
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #5971
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

Despite some of my misgivings and strong language I may use from time to time I totally agree.

I have no strong desire to rewatch season 8 but I’m far from feeling betrayed or anything crazy. I actually liked the finale and thought episode 2 probably my favourite of the last two seasons.

It’s why I think we need to not conflate some of the hysterical online reactions with genuine criticism that’s on CP.

Obviously some people feel differently here but to me no one has been spamming this thread with insane complaints that basically amount to trolling. Especially since I felt that way about some posters after TLJ came out. I thought season 8 was overall a failure but far from the type of “it’s ruined Star Wars, including all past and future movies” reactions we saw. In fact, it made me want to reread book 5 again because I just can’t get enough thrones. I also picked up Fire and Blood and can’t wait to start reading it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #5972
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

HBO submits Game Of Thrones Finale for Best Writing at the 2019 Emmys. Lol.

D&D have really drank the crazy kool-aid
https://www.tvguide.com/news/hbo-gam...s-submissions/

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-11-2019 at 08:16 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #5973
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Should have been episode 2!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #5974
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Should have been episode 2!
Not written by Benioff/Weiss.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #5975
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
HBO submits Game Of Thrones Finale for Best Writing at the 2019 Emmys. Lol.

D&D have really drank the crazy kool-aid
https://www.tvguide.com/news/hbo-gam...s-submissions/
They also made the odd choice of only submitting the first 40 minutes of the episode for consideration saying other shows are only about that long anyway so we didn’t think it was fair to submit the whole episode.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #5976
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They also made the odd choice of only submitting the first 40 minutes of the episode for consideration saying other shows are only about that long anyway so we didn’t think it was fair to submit the whole episode.
silent meandering through burning wreckage, a nazi rally, an argument between two characters that is very unsubtly aimed at the audience, and a dragon learning the importance of symbolism. sounds like a clear cut winner to me.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #5977
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #5978
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you insinuating that all of this was just building to a movie?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #5979
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
.. Cringe..
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #5980
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are people trying to pretend that the Deadwood movie wasn't a total ####ing troll job on an epic scale?

It told a little more story and still ended unresolved. I actually laughed at the end because of the audacity of it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: