Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #5841
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the bottom line is that this year's roster will likely be the best they surround McDavid with in a while and they will never likely get a regular season schedule like they did this season or go another season where zero key players get injured (I know Nurse was out for a while but that's akin to Stone being out for the Flames and Stone wasn't even a flame for 2/3 of the season). RNH and Eberle aren't stars but it's been convenient having players like that in bottom roles and that's coming to an end because one or both will have to be moved for salary reasons. Russell was on the cheap but he's going to get paid considerably more and he could leave. They have only one season left of Letsetu and Maroon on affordable deals. Even Talbot is only two seasons away from a franchise goaltender size contract. No matter how you look at it once McDavid and Draisaitl get their big contracts the Oilers are going to have a very fine line from which they can maintain a decent talent level and keep their better players long term.

Puljujarvi was an AHL scratch and right now can't even make the national team as he got only 2 or 3 shifts in their preliminary game so I fail to see him being a difference maker for a while.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-06-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #5842
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
why won't Collie McDoggy wake up this morning?
Best line yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #5843
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's very disheartening that many of you would cheer for a US team over a Canadian team regardless of who they are. Shame on you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #5845
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
It's very disheartening that many of you would cheer for a US team over a Canadian team regardless of who they are. Shame on you.
There are Canadian players on all NHL teams so shame on you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #5846
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha... yeah. You're disheartened.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #5847
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #5848
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't the Olympics. Hey, don't you dare 'shame' me!

Old 05-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #5849
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

National pride has no relevance in the NHL. I am not going to cheer on one of my team's most hated rivals because they happen to reside in the same country. Screw that and screw the Oilers. I wish that franchise nothing but misery.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #5850
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's very disheartening that any of you would cheer for our natural, long-standing rival over any team from anywhere.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #5851
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the bottom line is that this year's roster will likely be the best they surround McDavid with in a while and they will never likely get a regular season schedule like they did this season or go another season where zero key players get injured (I know Nurse was out for a while but that's akin to Stone being out for the Flames and Stone wasn't even a flame for 2/3 of the season). RNH and Eberle aren't stars but it's been convenient having players like that in bottom roles and that's coming to an end because one or both will have to be moved for salary reasons. Russell was on the cheap but he's going to get paid considerably more and he could leave. They have only one season left of Letsetu and Maroon on affordable deals. Even Talbot is only two seasons away from a franchise goaltender size contract. No matter how you look at it once McDavid and Draisaitl get their big contracts the Oilers are going to have a very fine line from which they can maintain a decent talent level and keep their better players long term.

Puljujarvi was an AHL scratch and right now can't even make the national team as he got only 2 or 3 shifts in their preliminary game so I fail to see him being a difference maker for a while.
No prospects only golden boys. That is what will really do them in. No cheap young homegrown talent.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #5852
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's just good Canadians supporting fundamental Canadian values of fair play and trying hard, no true Canadian should support a team that has attempted to suck its way to roster building.

I know this and I ain't even Canadian, go Ducks!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #5853
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #5854
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #5855
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a message board. We aren't a good example of regular fans. The hate here for other Canadian teams doesn't really reflect most Calgarians views.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #5856
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't want to see the Oilers win as much as the next Flames fan, but that goal review last night was bush league.

It's one thing to mess up the call on the ice, but to mess up the REVIEW as well?!? I know if that happened to the Flames I'd be be upset. I'm happy the Oilers lost, but still, laughable-levels of incompetence from the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #5857
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

It raised some major red flags for me when Columbus passed on Puljujarvi. He was the concensus numbe three pick going into that draft but by all accounts the Blue Jackets wanted nothing to do with him. Why? They clearly saw something in his game or makeup that gave them major concern.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #5858
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first thing out of Ron MacLeans mouth during the opening of the Sens/Rangers game is that they have a call in to Colin Campbell to explain the confusion over the poor Oilers tying goal against last night. Hey Ron, your beloved Oilers lost!!! Get over it and move the #### on!!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #5859
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't want to see the Oilers win as much as the next Flames fan, but that goal review last night was bush league.

It's one thing to mess up the call on the ice, but to mess up the REVIEW as well?!? I know if that happened to the Flames I'd be be upset. I'm happy the Oilers lost, but still, laughable-levels of incompetence from the league.

I can see the argument, and Kesler was definitely getting his hand into Talbot's pad, but Nurse is pushing and holding him there so he has nowhere to go and can't get up. I think that is why the call went the way it did. Without Nurse pushing and holding him in that position, there is no question the goal is disallowed.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #5860
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Incompetence by the Oilers + incompetence by the refs = the saltiest tears.
Closed Thread