Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2024, 10:31 AM   #5841
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I forgot about "The Suicide Squad". Probably a tie between that and No Way Home at #5?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:22 AM   #5842
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

ha - i've only seen a total of 3 of those... and they were all quite forgettable
Old 01-16-2024, 12:01 PM   #5843
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1746924795902427510

ZS Justice League
The Batman
Spiderman No Way Home
The Flash
Blue Beetle
I dunno...theres some decent ones there.

- GOTG 3
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Into the Spider-Verse
- The Batman
- Shang-Chi (I liked it. Its not a 'masterpiece' or anything)

But oof...there are definitely some dogs on that list that I'd never, ever watch again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:23 PM   #5844
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking about past decades top 5 CBMs I'd go:

80s
Superman 2
Batman 89
Superman 3
Howard the Duck
The Punisher

90s
Batman Returns
Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles
Batman & Robin
The Mask
The Crow

00s
The Dark Knight
X2
Watchmen
Spiderman 2
Batman Begins

2010s
The Dark Knight Rises
Wonder Woman
Batman V Superman
XMen Days of Future Past
Infinity War/End Game

The 2010s was certainly the hardest decade
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:11 PM   #5845
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the 2000s Sin City, Unbreakable, Oldboy, American Splendor, A History of Violence are all contenders for the list and frankly better movies than... well, arguably any of those you have on it.

2010s should have Scott Pilgrim vs. the World probably although there is a stronger field there in the superhero vein. 1990s should probably have the first Blade, although it's very weak in this area by comparison.

Sin City might not be the best movie as a movie on the list but for me, it's the best comic book movie in terms of actually being a movie version of a comic book. It's literally a bunch of comic panels but in live action.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 01:39 PM   #5846
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sin City blew my mind. Might have to give it a re-watch soon.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:59 PM   #5847
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Sin City. Classic IMO. Sin City 2 and the Spirit were not good.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:01 PM   #5848
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott Pilgrim was really good too. But I don't know how one could justify either Sin City or SPMD over The Dark Knight. I saw it 3 times in theatres and every time it gave me that tingly feeling in my spine in multiples.

Not comic book but sci-fi: Inception came close. Nolan had a really strong decade.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:04 PM   #5849
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Rewatching Batman vs. Superman. It's actually better than I remember. Part of that may be that I know what the plot was going to be, so it no longer seems disjointed. The movie actually had potential. It would have been so much better if they didn't have the Doomsday battle and vastly edited down Lex Luthor's role. The constant monologues and exposition from the Eisenberg Luthor are awful. If they'd left him as more of a subtle manipulator from behind the scenes and then had the team up in the end be just Batman and Superman against a non-Doomsday Luthor threat, it would have been a solid film.

It was all just trying to cram in too much too quickly. Batman v. Superman to Doomsday to Justice League to Darkseid.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #5850
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I love Sin City. Classic IMO. Sin City 2 and the Spirit were not good.
Sin City 2 has to be on the list of absolutely shameless Cash Grabs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-17-2024, 03:03 PM   #5851
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sin City 2 has to be on the list of absolutely shameless Cash Grabs.
It really makes no sense how it ended up being not so good. There is plenty of source material that is equal in quality to what was used in the first Sin City movie. For some reason it just doesn't work in the sequel.

Apparently Miller wrote two more side-plots exclusively for the film, but that alone shouldn't account for its overall crapyness. I just don't get how they managed to make Sin City 2 so boring, when the first one punched so hard.

Also, I though 300 was great....if you want even bigger cash grab, the sequel to 300, 300: Rise of an Empire, takes the cake. After 300 was a big hit, Miller wrote a follow up comic book that was adapted into this awful film.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 05:32 PM   #5852
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It really makes no sense how it ended up being not so good. There is plenty of source material that is equal in quality to what was used in the first Sin City movie. For some reason it just doesn't work in the sequel.

Apparently Miller wrote two more side-plots exclusively for the film, but that alone shouldn't account for its overall crapyness. I just don't get how they managed to make Sin City 2 so boring, when the first one punched so hard.

Also, I though 300 was great....if you want even bigger cash grab, the sequel to 300, 300: Rise of an Empire, takes the cake. After 300 was a big hit, Miller wrote a follow up comic book that was adapted into this awful film.
Yeah...that was rough. That one may as well have been called:

302: The Cash Grab

"We know 300 was Zack's only good film and by God we're going to Capitalize!"

Old 01-17-2024, 06:13 PM   #5853
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are forgetting the first two Hellboys. I'm also surprised that so many people liked The Batman. I enjoyed it until I really started thinking about it.

A more fun exercise might be to pick the worst three of the 2020s.

WW84
The Flash
I'd say Blue Beetle only because I hated that they wasted so much good material, and I haven't watched Morbius.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:19 PM   #5854
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
People are forgetting the first two Hellboys. I'm also surprised that so many people liked The Batman. I enjoyed it until I really started thinking about it.

A more fun exercise might be to pick the worst three of the 2020s.

WW84
The Flash
I'd say Blue Beetle only because I hated that they wasted so much good material, and I haven't watched Morbius.
Its a pretty good move, but it does fall apart. Still though, its enjoyable enough.

Would I watch it again? Probably not. I didnt really enjoy it that much.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:38 PM   #5855
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Old 01-17-2024, 08:48 PM   #5856
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Morbius being so bad it became meme metamaterial saves it from the ultimate shame pile imo.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:13 AM   #5857
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really makes no sense how it ended up being not so good.
It was just unnecessary. They'd done it. The best possible outcome was "this is the same movie as the first one again". Which, fine, but at that point you're making a TV miniseries basically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
People are forgetting the first two Hellboys.
The first Hellboy was... pretty bad. The second one was great, fun, well done and really amazing visually (if you wanted to show off a fancy new plasma TV in 2010-2014 that's the movie you'd want to use) but probably not top 5 for the decade. The 2000s was really strong for non-superhero (or at least non-traditional) comic book movies.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:36 AM   #5858
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think The Batman love is more from a lack of options of better. It was decent.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:03 AM   #5859
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Into the Spider-Verse was the only good one, with No Way Home and GOTG3 being acceptable. All the others were forgettable to outright bad.

I find the love for The Suicide Squad funny. It was mostly forgettable to me. I wonder how I would have felt about it if the first one wasn't so bad. I'm still angry about how aggressively bad Suicide Squad was.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 09:10 AM   #5860
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Totally agree, but I think you mean Across The Spiderverse, which was #2. The first one was out in 2018. Both are top notch movies.