Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 11:08 AM   #5801
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

If it is a broken spring, wouldn’t any threat be removed?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:13 AM   #5802
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was indeed a broken spring. I have no idea about this stuff, and I watched the guy change it out without hovering too much. He brought a long metal tube which I guess houses the spring (for safety, or just because that's how they do it? I didn't get the chance to ask). He swapped it in for the old one quite quickly - about 30 minutes all in.

I was expecting to see actual visible springs and had a brief flashback of snapping a bungee cord into my face as a kid.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:25 AM   #5803
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Anyone have any experience getting someone to design a room? I want to redo my home office, maybe even have some custom built in cabinets/shelves or even desk done, but I'm not good with starting with a clean slate and making good use of a space.

I suppose anyone that would be building the stuff could design something, but maybe getting the design first would let me get different quotes on building it.. or if it's simple enough I could even do it myself.
Have you looked into AI virtual renovation for ideas? I saw this the other day. Haven't tried it yet but it seems easy enough to use.
https://www.reimaginehome.ai
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #5804
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm interesting, maybe I'll try and see what it comes up with.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:29 PM   #5805
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have a recommendation for an appliance repair company? Our oven stopped working. We had a bad experience with another company a few years back, and doing my usual google search/read reviews has only made me think every appliance repair company is a scan.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:46 PM   #5806
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've always had good success with A Appliance Doctor (https://www.appliancedoctorrepair.com/). Once he made a replacement electronic part for me for a few dollars instead of ordering the expensive part for the old fridge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 04:52 PM   #5807
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might depend on the brand though? Some service people work on specific brands and not on others.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:02 PM   #5808
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My kitchen hood fan vent is destroyed by probably hail/birds/UV exposure. Anyway, my problem is that to reach it I need a ladder, which is fine, but the ground is sloping so much that the ladder doesn't go anywhere near vertical if I try to plant both legs on the ground. Is putting a shim under one of the legs the acceptable means of solving this or is there a more conventional solution?
I've seen some people use compressors and or electric high powered blowers for dryer machines (same type of vent) from the inside to push air through and clean or at least see the vents are opening. Probably some grease build up etc in the vent line.

Edit: More so dryer vents, but they in theory function the same.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:09 PM   #5809
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It might depend on the brand though? Some service people work on specific brands and not on others.
Yeah, true. The oven is old (20+ years) so I really just want to know if it's an easy fix (ie. replace an element or fuse or something) or if it's time to replace the oven. I imagine larger fixes like replacing the control board may not be possible as parts may be scarce.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:13 PM   #5810
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Yeah, true. The oven is old (20+ years) so I really just want to know if it's an easy fix (ie. replace an element or fuse or something) or if it's time to replace the oven. I imagine larger fixes like replacing the control board may not be possible as parts may be scarce.
What's it doing(or not doing), and is it gas or electric?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:48 PM   #5811
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Our oven/stove is closing in on 20 years and I'd be giddy if it died to have an excuse to upgrade to induction. Every time I'm cleaning the kitchen and have to scrub the carbon buildup on the stove glass I'm tempted to sabotage the thing myself
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:51 PM   #5812
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What's it doing(or not doing), and is it gas or electric?
Elements don't heat up at all, but front panel and fan (for convection) work fine. I can hear the relays click when I turn on the oven. Both broil and oven elements stopped working at the same time. I'm guessing it's not pulling the 240V for the element.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:12 PM   #5813
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Elements don't heat up at all, but front panel and fan (for convection) work fine. I can hear the relays click when I turn on the oven. Both broil and oven elements stopped working at the same time. I'm guessing it's not pulling the 240V for the element.
Hrmm, ya with both elements out I wonder if it's just a fuse. If it were me I'd google the model to see if it is a common problem and easy fix.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:00 PM   #5814
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Our oven/stove is closing in on 20 years and I'd be giddy if it died to have an excuse to upgrade to induction. Every time I'm cleaning the kitchen and have to scrub the carbon buildup on the stove glass I'm tempted to sabotage the thing myself
If you go induction check that you have enough wattage to the receptacle.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #5815
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it cause any damage if winter humidity gets really low in a house? We’ll be away for a few weeks and won’t be running the portable humidifiers we use.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:49 PM   #5816
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you have hardwood flooring that's probably the biggest concern.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:11 PM   #5817
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Does it cause any damage if winter humidity gets really low in a house? We’ll be away for a few weeks and won’t be running the portable humidifiers we use.
It'll be fine.

How have you made it this far lol?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 03:36 PM   #5818
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My bathroom exhaust fan tripped the GFCI, located at a receptacle in the same bathroom, after a long, hot shower. I can reset the GFCI and use lights and other loads on the circuit, but running the exhaust fan will trip the GFCI- the fan will only run for about a second. I've tried this a few times now. It has been several hours after the initial trip so the room humidity should have dissipated as well. I've removed the fan cover and had a quick look but there wasn't an "obvious" issue e.g., dust, moisture.

I might be able to recall one other time several years ago when this GFCI tripped that might have been due to high draw, but that just required a simple reset. I'll Google some more and troubleshoot but if anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears!
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:38 PM   #5819
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_joke View Post
My bathroom exhaust fan tripped the GFCI, located at a receptacle in the same bathroom, after a long, hot shower. I can reset the GFCI and use lights and other loads on the circuit, but running the exhaust fan will trip the GFCI- the fan will only run for about a second. I've tried this a few times now. It has been several hours after the initial trip so the room humidity should have dissipated as well. I've removed the fan cover and had a quick look but there wasn't an "obvious" issue e.g., dust, moisture.

I might be able to recall one other time several years ago when this GFCI tripped that might have been due to high draw, but that just required a simple reset. I'll Google some more and troubleshoot but if anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears!
Are you kidding?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:44 PM   #5820
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Deadly serious.
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to no_joke For This Useful Post: