Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #561
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know, i'm gonna point the obvious here.

When the team gets underwater, killing back to back penalties and such, why can't Glen just call a timeout.

Take a timeout. Get the Flames over to the bench. Give them a rest and tell them what they need to achieve for the next 2 minutes.

He has wasted enough timeouts on Coach's challenges. Maybe you can't take a timeout anymore so that you can do a coach's challenge. Which defeats the initial purpose of the intended timeout. Anyways, based on the downward spiral, it would have been well utilized.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #562
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
It needs to be said re Johnny:

He is Daniel Larusso and the Ducks are the Cobra Kai.

He better be practicing the crane technique today on the beaches of Cali. Just sayin.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #563
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames do lack a little bit of the intangibles like pure will and determination. Not that they don't care but I just feel like they can't always channel it within the gameplan.
Execution of the gameplan is clearly a key but the playoffs are such a war that there are key moments you just have to want it more than the other guys. The Flames are going to have to learn that to succeed against a team like the Ducks that is full of (annoying) guys who know all about that. Its not just executing a gameplan that's going to get you over the finish line.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #564
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Agreed. That OT goal the Blues scored the other night was all Tarasenko willpower.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #565
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Agreed. That OT goal the Blues scored the other night was all Tarasenko willpower.
But still with a flukey finish. Luck plays a role too.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #566
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really surprised by all the negativity in this thread. We lost an away game by one goal against a very good team, even though some of our best players had pretty bad games. (Hamilton especially.) I still like our chances in this series, and most importantly it doesn't look at all like we're going to get blown off the ice.

Ducks are a strong cup final candidate, and we're the underdog. It was always going to be a tough series for us. After game 1, it looks like it's going to be a tough series for the Ducks too. We can absolutely win this series. "Can" doesn't mean "will", but no matter how the series ends I'm feeling pretty good about our team right now.

Go Flames Go.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #567
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was mad last night didn't want to post anything cos anything I say will be bad, I woke up this morning, didn't come in to say anything cos I was sad. I'm feeling a little better now and want to drop a few lines, didn't read through the whole thread so not sure somebody has already said them.

Looking back at the game, the first PP goal the Ducks scored was tipped in by Engelland, how unlucky was that? The second goal they scored was on a brain fart by the entire line, how often do you see that happened? The team was nervous, GG and the coaching staff need to settle them down.

So we lost the first game, we are not the only team that lost the first game, it's not the end of the world. Sure, there are people who's saying we got dominated and were lucky the score was 3:2, well, I don't agree with the dominated part but, I'm sure glad our goalie came out to play. I believe the team will come out and play better tomorrow and win.

I did have a question though, wondering why GG didn't call a timeout when we have the 5 on 3 close to the end of the game?
Old 04-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #568
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was able to watch most of the game and while I agree the ducks were the better team, I by no means feel like the Flames were blown out. Both goalies made some pretty clutch saves so that wasn't that lopsided. If the Flames can stay out of the box it will be easier for them to maintain momentum and hopefully carry the play in the attacking end for a couple of shifts.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #569
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This.

"Our line wasn't good enough. We've got to be way better." - Mikael Backlund on Game 1 https://t.co/8yzsjDvWLb
#
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #570
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night was frustrating, but seeing how they can stand up and play to the Ducks' level is really encouraging. I thought this series would be over in 5 (for the Ducks), but it's clear the Flames can beat this team.

The line change gaff cost them. That's when doubt sank in, and then they screwed themselves. If that play hadn't happened I think they would have broken the curse last night.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #571
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I was mad last night didn't want to post anything cos anything I say will be bad, I woke up this morning, didn't come in to say anything cos I was sad. I'm feeling a little better now and want to drop a few lines, didn't read through the whole thread so not sure somebody has already said them.

Looking back at the game, the first PP goal the Ducks scored was tipped in by Engelland, how unlucky was that? The second goal they scored was on a brain fart by the entire line, how often do you see that happened? The team was nervous, GG and the coaching staff need to settle them down.

So we lost the first game, we are not the only team that lost the first game, it's not the end of the world. Sure, there are people who's saying we got dominated and were lucky the score was 3:2, well, I don't agree with the dominated part but, I'm sure glad our goalie came out to play. I believe the team will come out and play better tomorrow and win.

I did have a question though, wondering why GG didn't call a timeout when we have the 5 on 3 close to the end of the game?
you'd have to ask GG... my guess is that because the PP was called with 3-4 min left, the idea was to keep the TO for the last minute in case they didn't score on the 5-3...

i was thinking that they should call the TO to set up the 5 on 3 as well, but I can understand the decision not to at that point in the game...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #572
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pissed off last night by the many things well covered in this thread.

I will say I really enjoy watching Ferland, Tkachuk and Bennett play. I would like to see them get more ice time.

We need the guys with edge out there. The guys not afraid to get hit or to initiate contact.

Hamilton gets lots of love here, but man he frustrates me. Dodges contact all night, rarely hits; then takes that cross checking penalty on Getzlaf. Ugh.

That said...PLAYOFFS!! Just incredible to be in it again. There is nothing quite like the pure fun of watching the first round of NHL playoffs. Elation, anger, frustration, joy...what a ride. Oh and hatred of Kesler.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #573
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Johnny needs to perform in this series, so that we get good value for him this summer.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #574
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite moment so far in game one is still Backlund giving the lumber to Kesler in the final seconds.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #575
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
My favorite moment so far in game one is still Backlund giving the lumber to Kesler in the final seconds.

Yup
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #576
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised how negative a lot of the comments are in here considering the Flames only lost by a goal in what was a tight game! The Flames have a chance I think after how they played - hopefully they can take home ice advantage by winning game 2.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #577
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
you'd have to ask GG... my guess is that because the PP was called with 3-4 min left, the idea was to keep the TO for the last minute in case they didn't score on the 5-3...

i was thinking that they should call the TO to set up the 5 on 3 as well, but I can understand the decision not to at that point in the game...
I was so mad last night I didn't watch the post game press, didn't anyone in the media ask GG why a timeout wast called?

I think the 5 on 3 was called at around 2 and a half minutes to the end of the game, and to think that they should save the timeout in case they don't score on the 5 on 3 is silly to stupid though, don't you think? I mean the reason to call a timeout is to make sure they DO score! Instead, they essentially wasted valuable seconds at the beginning of the 5 on 3 and that's the game!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #578
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm surprised how negative a lot of the comments are in here considering the Flames only lost by a goal in what was a tight game! The Flames have a chance I think after how they played - hopefully they can take home ice advantage by winning game 2.
I agree it has a lot more to do with how we lost and knowing how difficult it has been to win in the Honda Center. I agree win game 2 and game 1 is a memory. Still Flames lost where they were in a position to win. Still even if the line change error never happened or we scored on the 5 on 3. There's still no guarantee we will would have won. It's playoffs and Anaheim is a rival the Flames lost to two years ago and fast. Negatives they played nervous and Ill prepared. Positives there's a game two Flames win they get a best of 5 series with home ice advantage. Compared to 2015 version, this Flames team played 10 times better.

calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #579
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I was so mad last night I didn't watch the post game press, didn't anyone in the media ask GG why a timeout wast called?

I think the 5 on 3 was called at around 2 and a half minutes to the end of the game, and to think that they should save the timeout in case they don't score on the 5 on 3 is silly to stupid though, don't you think? I mean the reason to call a timeout is to make sure they DO score! Instead, they essentially wasted valuable seconds at the beginning of the 5 on 3 and that's the game!
I totally agree. Someone argued that GG thought the Ducks were tired and it was a good idea to keep them on the ice. Pah - I'd FAR rather that the Flames had a moment to remind the guys how they needed to play and to NOT keep chipping the puck into the centre slot when no-one was there. Sheesh. If that isn't a good time to call a time-out, what is?
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #580
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I guess the issue for me is that Game One developed as THE game that the Flames COULD have taken from the Ducks, in Anaheim.

Due to the Flames' own massive line-change-brain-fart and inability to produce on the PowerPlay (at least, when it mattered most), they lost a close game that they likely should have won. They wasted an opportunity that most thought never would have existed going into the game.

The Ducks have vast playoff experience and know how to win. They are unlikely to let Game 2 unfold in the same way Game 1 did. That's why the loss is now (in retrospect) so much more damaging to our chances than had we simply been blown out.

I don't think the Flames have a higher gear than what they showed last night; I think the Ducks do. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I can't see this series going past five games.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote