Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #561
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
so far in BAP, I am a point per game player, whether defense or forward.

Hitting is so hard though, does anyone have any tips?
once i get the download i am sure i will be able to teach all you wannabe's!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #562
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
so far in BAP, I am a point per game player, whether defense or forward.

Hitting is so hard though, does anyone have any tips?
In the prospects game I scored 2 goals and lost 1 fight.

As for hitting... go back and practice 09.
You wernt good there either (kidding)

But I find the hitting much easier as the game physics seem alot more fluent and the deking is a bit less.. extravagant..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #563
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

So jealous of you guys. I'm off to the team canada scrimmage tonight so i won't be able to give this a whirl until late tonight (or get up very early tomorrow).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #564
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

oh russic.... only you would be jealous of people getting to play video game hockey instead of watching real hockey!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #565
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
oh russic.... only you would be jealous of people getting to play video game hockey instead of watching real hockey!
lol ... touche. A demo no less. Team Canada no less! Iggy and Crosby on the same goddamn line no less!

Don't worry, my priorities are in the right place. Truthfully I've been having so much fun with my 09 dynasty I'm almost hesitant to jump into a new game right away. My team is just getting fun to play with! My rookies are starting to develop just as the new game comes out.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #566
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i hear ya. i started playing dynasty after i took time off from the fatas. i have been playing every game in both leagues, so i have finally made it to march. i might try to cram the rest of the season/playoffs in before the new game comes out, but i don't know if its worth it.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #567
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So...is it out yet for Canada? Anyone confirming this? I'm too lazy to set up a new account.
flamestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #568
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestalker View Post
So...is it out yet for Canada? Anyone confirming this? I'm too lazy to set up a new account.
No. I just checked. I had a euro account in a couple minutes though. I'm kind of surprised the file is only 820megs with all that's in the demo.

BTW, feel free to visit me- Fred Faker at 123 London Way 90210, London, UK!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #569
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i was hoping i wouldnt have to create a new account. but when i got home 20 minutes ago nothing was there for me. i went ahead and made a fake account and am downloading now.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #570
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I'm done. The download speed was quick. Installing now...

I'm delighted I can play a bit before the red and white scrimmage!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #571
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

~1.8 MB / sec from the "UK" servers, or whatever.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #572
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
yeah, i was hoping i wouldnt have to create a new account. but when i got home 20 minutes ago nothing was there for me. i went ahead and made a fake account and am downloading now.
I have a japanese and european account. Sometimes they have some fun demos to try out like katamari on the japanese store and dirt 2 on the european one.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #573
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Well, I played one prospects' game and one BFTC. my impression so far is pretty positive!

Firstly, I was delighted at how cool the intimidation factor is. Guys that I went after hard or won in fights against would make the occasional bad pass. It wasn't overdone, it was just interesting.

Boardplay is a great addition too, and it is a bit awkward at first, but it makes it seem like a more "real" game.

Also, the goalies ARE better for sure.

Lastly, playing BFTC on Pro-Hardcore resulted in one of the most fun NHL games I can recall. In hardcore, the direction and speed of your pass is really up to you. It's so different than previously, but sending passes off the boards and stuff feels great.

Me likey!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #574
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i had a lot of fun with the demo. the new fighting is much more challenging! guess i can't just pump the square/x combo like last year!

i enjoyed the board play. as someone that plays primarily defense, i had to actually make sure i didn't do it too much. the first game or two i was pinning guys all the time but it was taking me out of my game. i found if i just play my game like i used to, its just an added tool in the toolbox. when playing the cup game i found it to be more important when on offense. it makes the computer much better defensively. last year you could generally skate around the edges and protect the puck to get where you needed. i was getting pinned quite a bit which really hampers that.

one problem i had was centering passes. i don't do the cross crease passes a lot in single player, but i was having a heck of a time doing them. in the cup game, my guy kept passing behind the net to no one. i am pretty sure i was pressing towards my guy rushing the net. but whatev.

those are the things that jump out at me so far.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #575
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

lol I can't believe the demo isn't up yet. Poor basterds are going to get hammered for this despite the high probability of it being sonys fault. Thank god the euros were on top of things! I'm too tired to play tonight but I might try to get up a touch early tomorrow and try it out.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #576
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After snagging the demo from the UK store, I have to say, it did get better, from what I've seen.

The fact that players will bobble a pass after getting repeatedly checked and enforced is a nice touch, as is the lower passing accuracy. It's such a nice touch to the game, and makes it feel a lot more realistic. The goalies are better, and it's nice to see them take away the cross crease pass (well overdue).

I'm not too fond of the fighting yet, but it's better than 09's for sure.

Notes from my first play through:
- Got an assist in the Prospects game, as well as a couple hits and shot blocks.
- Drafted 9th Overall by the Sens. Don't think I'm the answer to Heatley quite yet.

BFTC:
- Got Sykora on a breakaway and was tripped onto my knees and Ozzy saved it.
- Detroit scored to tie it up, Zetterberg ruined by regulation win with 32 seconds to go.
- Sprung Fedotenko on a breakaway and he was tripped, regained posession and passed it around, got a couple of shots on net, and then found out I had a penalty shot from the Fedotenko shot. On the penalty show I deked and hit the post in OT.
- Scored on a close in one timer by Letang. Fun times.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #577
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I guess there's no word on when the demo will actually pop up on Canada? (of all the places to f-up getting an NHL game demo to, Canada should be last on the list).
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #578
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Definitely an improvement on last year. If only because your teammates are not complete morons
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #579
lanevosky
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The demo was great!
The update on goalie animation is a good touch.

Still trying to figure out the fighting and board play part.

I played Defence in BAP and got drafted first.
Got 2 assists in the game.
lanevosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #580
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

one thing i did notice in the demo i didn't like was the ai in the offensive zone. when i was in the box for fighting, it was all up to the ai, and there was a spurt when they were in the zone where 2 guys passed it back and forth to each other at least 20 times. this is something they would do in 09 and i hated it. its just so unrealistic that these 2 dudes would just keep passing back and forth over and over. i didn't really put too much thought into the issue, but i was really hoping the imperfect passing would effect the computer more. it seems they are still programmed to go tape to tape. which is really sad. because in 09 the computer often gets into these grooves where they make 13 passes in like 3 seconds. and thats frustrating.

Tags
ea sports , hockey , nhl 10 , soundtrack , video games