Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2024, 09:54 PM   #5761
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Just need to check a box is all.

Sent from my SM-F741W using Tapatalk
Fair enough. I do stuff like that too.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 08:26 AM   #5762
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Free*

*for now while it’s good press
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
It'll be interesting. Porter has free wifi. I could see them going either way - if they think it drives bookings maybe they keep it, although I agree "unbundling" seems to be more the trend.
I think that it is actually a smart move by WestJet to keep it free. I personally wouldn't buy internet on a flight, and I'm not sure that a huge percentage do. It is included as a credit card perk, so I've done it a couple of times, but pay extra? Nah.

So now they can cross-promote with Starlink, and while everything else about Westjet and air travel in general has become worse and more expensive (for less), fast and free internet might be a factor when booking. I think that they'll gain more because of that vs. the revenue from individual purchasers.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 09:04 AM   #5763
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping it free is also in line with their agreement with Delta to have benefits to their rewards members, and vise versa
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 07:24 PM   #5764
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Keeping it free is also in line with their agreement with Delta to have benefits to their rewards members, and vise versa
I don't think it works that way. You aren't getting on DL WiFi with your WS account credentials and vice versa. All I get on WS as a DL medallion is free bags and picking my own economy seat for free. Oh, and access to their (one) lounge, only when transiting YYC to/from somewhere else in Canada and to/from somewhere not in Canada, lol.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #5765
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I don't think it works that way. You aren't getting on DL WiFi with your WS account credentials and vice versa. All I get on WS as a DL medallion is free bags and picking my own economy seat for free. Oh, and access to their (one) lounge, only when transiting YYC to/from somewhere else in Canada and to/from somewhere not in Canada, lol.
Yeah but I think they're working on smoothing that out, getting Delta people access to the Azure lounge, as well as the Evolution lounge, for example, is something I know has been in the works.

It was kinda put on pause because of covid after their failed joint venture fell apart in 2020, but reciprocal member benefits for their frequent flier programs has been a work in progress ever since
Old 07-26-2024, 08:11 PM   #5766
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but I think they're working on smoothing that out, getting Delta people access to the Azure lounge, as well as the Evolution lounge, for example, is something I know has been in the works.

It was kinda put on pause because of covid after their failed joint venture fell apart in 2020, but reciprocal member benefits for their frequent flier programs has been a work in progress ever since
Do you mean Aspire and Elevation lounges here?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2024, 08:13 PM   #5767
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do'h. Yeah, that's definitely what I meant. Azure lounge is a bar in Toronto I think, lol
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2024, 08:27 PM   #5768
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post, deleted
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 10:36 PM   #5769
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
The Elevation lounge we can get into but only flying Canada-YYC-Another Country (or the reverse) because of where it is in the airport. If you O&D at YYC, no dice unless it is YYC-Canada-Another Country.

The Aspire lounge is the only one I remember after getting past the US preclearance facility. Would be nice to get that free as a DL medallion as I keep wanting to cancel a card I have that lets me get in that one with Priority Pass. But in fairness, DL does practically the same for WS elites from what I understand.

The DL/AM relationship is better as we have access to upgrades on AM operated flights and AM lounges (even when flying DL marketed and operated itineraries on 006 stock).

Last edited by butterfly; 07-26-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:32 AM   #5770
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
The Elevation lounge we can get into but only flying Canada-YYC-Another Country (or the reverse) because of where it is in the airport. If you O&D at YYC, no dice unless it is YYC-Canada-Another Country.

If you originate in YYC, you do have access to the Elevation Lounge as long as your flight is NOT Transborder (Domestic and Non-US flights) as Concourses A to D are all connected.

WS Business class passengers on Europe and Asia flights all have complimentary lounge access, it would be silly if they can't access the WestJet lounge...
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2024, 06:51 PM   #5771
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
If you originate in YYC, you do have access to the Elevation Lounge as long as your flight is NOT Transborder (Domestic and Non-US flights) as Concourses A to D are all connected.

WS Business class passengers on Europe and Asia flights all have complimentary lounge access, it would be silly if they can't access the WestJet lounge...
Which doesn't yield access to DL medallions unless connecting somewhere else in Canada, like YYC-YYZ-DTW. If a DL medallion is flying WS YYC-YYZ, we can't get in.
Old 07-28-2024, 09:22 PM   #5772
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just learned this a few days ago:

If you are a top tier member for various hotel chains or airlines, you can use that status to be matched by car rental places like National. Usually its hotel A will match your status with hotel B but or rental A will match your status with rental B but this is Rental A will match your status from Hotel or airline, which I think is neat and wish I knew it sooner.

I travel lots and am platinum with Westjet and top tier with 5 different hotels.
I submitted my status from a hotel and WJ together and was given the Executive Elite level for National car rental. The whole process took less than 24 hours too. I love the Emerald Aisle but am excited to be able to pick from the executive side from now on.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2024, 09:54 PM   #5773
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish the status went the other way around! We have it with Enterprise/National, but it only transfers to other rental car agencies, not to hotels or anything.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 12:34 AM   #5774
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Just learned this a few days ago:

If you are a top tier member for various hotel chains or airlines, you can use that status to be matched by car rental places like National. Usually its hotel A will match your status with hotel B but or rental A will match your status with rental B but this is Rental A will match your status from Hotel or airline, which I think is neat and wish I knew it sooner.

I travel lots and am platinum with Westjet and top tier with 5 different hotels.
I submitted my status from a hotel and WJ together and was given the Executive Elite level for National car rental. The whole process took less than 24 hours too. I love the Emerald Aisle but am excited to be able to pick from the executive side from now on.
I've had both and Aisle is fine for me. Every now and then there will be something nice in Executive and most stations have just let me take it once I ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wish the status went the other way around! We have it with Enterprise/National, but it only transfers to other rental car agencies, not to hotels or anything.
You aren't missing anything. You earn points faster but the only other benefit to me is guaranteed 4pm checkout without bickering for it. If you stay at the same property often enough with zero status, the staff will remember you and give you whatever you want anyway.
Old 07-29-2024, 01:32 AM   #5775
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Can anyone give my information on walking/getting around in Lisbon? We’re going with my wife’s 80-year old parents in the fall. They are still quite active but he has a bit of a limp. Have heard it’s quite hilly and cobblestoned. Any neighbourhood flatter than others (just hanging out is one of our plans)?
Yeah like Fuzz says, the area around Praca do Commercao is pretty much the only flat part of the city. You might consider staying at the beaches out in Cascais or across the river in Setubal if you want flat, but if you're sightseeing in Lisbon you're going to get hills and slippery tiles, and uneven cobblestones. Maybe look into a guided tour where you get chauffeured around? My folks are the same age, and I appreciate what it's like to go sightseeing with the less mobile. Hong Kong was a real challenge with them, so make it easier for everyone and try to minimise walking in Lisbon.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:58 AM   #5776
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Good to read up on some "Japan with kids" posts a few pages back.

We're heading there for almost a month with kids aged 10, 8 and 5.

Rough itinerary:
- 7 nights in Tokyo to start. (Random wandering in neighborhoods, Disney, and typical tourist stuff)
- 3 nights in Hakone (Onsen hot springs, pirate ship cruise, cable car and chill out at the lake)
- 5-6 nights in Osaka (Universal Studios and more typical tourist wandering, eating and shopping. There's a good aquarium)
- 3 nights in Kyoto (Seems like temples and "old" Japan. Fully expect kids to complain that shrines are boring)
- 1-2 nights in Nagoya (Legoland, maybe)
- Few more nights in Tokyo before we head home

I think this is pretty close to what we'll do.
I briefly considered Hiroshima to see war stuff but not sure I wanted to make it that far west. Too much moving.
Did not even really consider anything up north cause it's not ski season.

Its our first BIG airplane trip as a family. I'm really excited. Our older 2 will really love the kitschy stuff like vending machines, arcades, toy stores etc.

I expect to be saying "no" a million times a day to all the toys and stuffed animals they will want to buy.

I'm also going to try to catch as many baseball games as I can.

We are planning on going to a Giants game together as a family, but hopefully I can catch a few more either solo, or with my son if the wife and younger ones dont wanna come. Swallows, Tigers, Buffalos are all playing at home when we're in those cities but I'm only marking the Giants game as the only "must do".

I booked some traditional Japanese AirBnB accomodations so we'll he having a few family sleepovers on mattresses on the floors. I think the kids will like that too.
This sounds amazing!! Y'all are going to have so much fun. Japan remains one of my favorite destinations in the world and right now, your dollar is going to go super far there! Perfect opportunity to take in some real Wagyu beef and premium sashimi sold by the slice!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2024, 10:16 AM   #5777
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Super jealous, I really want to go to Japan. Maybe next year. I've seen some Japan/Tavel YouTubers that setup group trips, I wonder if something like that might be good for Japan where culture and language are going to be a challenge. Someone experienced to be a kind of guide. Though might suck to be locked into what the group is doing if you want to do something different.

Question about car rentals, I haven't rented a car in forever.

Going to Hawaii and I could rent a car via the usual suspects (like Costco or AMA Travel), but Turo is a thing now and you can get a lot of different interesting vehicles via Turo it seems.

Question is about insurance in general, my personal policy specificly excludes rental cars so I need to get something. Does Turo offer any and/or is it any good? Or am I better off just getting specific car insurance via a website (AMA?). My credit card might have some coverage too I guess but will have to check to see what it covers, and not sure how much I should trust that.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:22 AM   #5778
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Super jealous, I really want to go to Japan. Maybe next year. I've seen some Japan/Tavel YouTubers that setup group trips, I wonder if something like that might be good for Japan where culture and language are going to be a challenge. Someone experienced to be a kind of guide. Though might suck to be locked into what the group is doing if you want to do something different.
The bolded part wasn't an issue at all with us when we went last year. Google translate is your friend and makes things super easy.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2024, 10:28 AM   #5779
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah my sister is a fight attendant and she's brought me stuff back from Japan a few times, had to use it to translate the instructions on the fancy ramen

Hm seems Amex specifically excludes sites like Turo, so would need to buy Turo's insurance if I went through them. Would credit card insurance still be good for booking through Costco though?
Old 07-31-2024, 12:00 PM   #5780
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The bolded part wasn't an issue at all with us when we went last year. Google translate is your friend and makes things super easy.
Ya, I'm going again in October, except this time going to the more rural areas where there will be no English expected. I know only a few phrases in Japanese. Google translate will get you by in those situations. May have a few words it gets confused by, but you can still get the idea of what is being said.