Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #5721
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is pretty funny.
A friend of mine who's seen it had this to say about it, when I asked for her review of it: "If you are thinking about going to see it, skip the theatre and just rent 'Spaceballs'. Same plot, better movie."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:15 AM   #5722
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Yikes. Things are not looking good for the MCU. Deadpool 3 will probably do okay. Beyond that the next one that could actually be a hit looks like Fantastic Four? I don't see blade, Thunderbolts, or the new Captain America saving the franchise.

Blade is already in production troubles, going through rewrites, changing directors, budget slashes, and the main actor threatening to quit.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #5723
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

A huge plot point of The Marvels was spoiled for me on *Wednesday* by some thoughtless ####wit's tweet, and I remembered why social media is just rotten.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:11 PM   #5724
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Okay, fair enough. I find Brie Larson about as interesting as Wonder Bread, but to each their own.
Watch the film Room.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:59 PM   #5725
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Watch the film Room.
I've seen it, albeit a long, long time ago but I wouldnt say it made an indelible impression upon me. I might have to give it another whirl.

But...'what have you done lately?' And the answer in Brie Larson's case is...'not a whole lot.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #5726
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've seen it, albeit a long, long time ago but I wouldnt say it made an indelible impression upon me. I might have to give it another whirl.

But...'what have you done lately?' And the answer in Brie Larson's case is...'not a whole lot.'

Actually she has: Lessons in Chemistry on Apple TV. Surprisingly good and somewhat offbeat quirky. Terrific sets.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #5727
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Captain Marvel was never as great as it was hyped up to be. It was sandwhiched between two of the biggest movies of all time and pegged as a 'necessary watch' for the final chapter of the greatest arc in the history of modern cinema.

Of course it would have amazing numbers.

Now without those crutches to lean on it's toppling over, falling down the stairs, rolling out the front door on to the street and getting crushed by the Pepsi truck.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:19 AM   #5728
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I try to give movies the benefit of the doubt and not judge too harshly based on the trailer but this looks bad. It started out interesting but then they started showing too much. The dialogue is horrendous.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:40 AM   #5729
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

I try to give movies the benefit of the doubt and not judge too harshly based on the trailer but this looks bad. It started out interesting but then they started showing too much. The dialogue is horrendous.
Are all the younger girls supposed to be like spider totems ala the og Spiderverse or something?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:45 AM   #5730
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Are all the younger girls supposed to be like spider totems ala the og Spiderverse or something?
Sydney Sweeney is Spider-Woman
Emma Robers is Mary Parker (Spider-man's mom?!?)
Anya Corazon is Spider-Girl
Mattie Franklin is another Spider-Woman?

Adam Scott is playing Ben Parker. Uncle Ben...

The whole thing gave me Catwoman vibes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:20 AM   #5731
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks pretty bad, success of Venom tricked Sony into thinking anything somewhat Spider-Man related would also be an automatic hit. That's what greenlit this triple bomb of Morbius, Madame Web, and Kraven the Hunter. Hopefully that'll be the end of that experiment.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:29 AM   #5732
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Sydney Sweeney is Spider-Woman
Emma Robers is Mary Parker (Spider-man's mom?!?)
Anya Corazon is Spider-Girl
Mattie Franklin is another Spider-Woman?

Adam Scott is playing Ben Parker. Uncle Ben...

The whole thing gave me Catwoman vibes.
Yeah, that's the one.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #5733
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boy, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel these days...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #5734
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Looks pretty bad, success of Venom tricked Sony into thinking anything somewhat Spider-Man related would also be an automatic hit. That's what greenlit this triple bomb of Morbius, Madame Web, and Kraven the Hunter. Hopefully that'll be the end of that experiment.
Kraven looks like Morbius redux. I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

I think part of it is that they are managing to make these films for a far lower budget than most big supervisor films. The budgets are in the $75-110 million range. So even Morbius made a small profit after streaming and other revenue streams?

Perhaps there's an advantage to just having Spiderman's name out there? They keep the brand continuously running, they sell toys?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:07 AM   #5735
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya that looks bad.

In other news I got an email from Landmark they are offering half point tickets for The Marvels this weekend.

That prompted me to just check and see how full the theatres were.. I counted 8 sold seats for tonights shows, between 9 show times. All but 3 of those theatres have 140+ seats, the other 3 have 60.

So out of a thousand possibly seats, they've sold 8.. or 0.8%.

I am assuming there will be more sales between now and the first show time at 4:30. But still.. speaking of studios that over reached on perceived popularity..
Old 11-15-2023, 11:15 AM   #5736
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was in charge of Sony I would have done a Black Cat movie. Include a Tom Holland (or even Tom Hardy) cameo, and it will do well at the box office. I like the idea of them doing these mid-budget movies, as I think that's one thing Hollywood needs to address. However, there are more popular characters to choose from, with Madame Web they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:44 AM   #5737
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
That prompted me to just check and see how full the theatres were.. I counted 8 sold seats for tonights shows, between 9 show times. All but 3 of those theatres have 140+ seats, the other 3 have 60.

So out of a thousand possibly seats, they've sold 8.. or 0.8%.

I am assuming there will be more sales between now and the first show time at 4:30. But still.. speaking of studios that over reached on perceived popularity..
I was curious about The Marvels opening weekend, and I have the Cineplex app. So I kept an eye on 'my' theatre (Sunridge) for ticket sales over opening weekend.

Out of all the showings, at least 2 every day showed to an empty theatre. A 101 seat theatre, and a 150 seat one. Most of the showings only had 5-10 people. A couple had ~20.

Not good news at all for Marvel.

As to the Madame Web trailer...what a mess of "Who the hell are these people and why am I supposed to know or care about them?"
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:08 PM   #5738
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:34 PM   #5739
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Kraven looks like Morbius redux. I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

I think part of it is that they are managing to make these films for a far lower budget than most big supervisor films. The budgets are in the $75-110 million range. So even Morbius made a small profit after streaming and other revenue streams?

Perhaps there's an advantage to just having Spiderman's name out there? They keep the brand continuously running, they sell toys?
I don't think a Spider-Man extended universe thing is a bad idea even, the execution is just sloppy (because of course it is). Venom did prove there was an appetite for it, they've just followed it up with crap movies featuring lame villains and characters no one cares about. If they had done like a Green Goblin movie, then a Venom sequel, then a Doctor Octopus movie, and now were going to have all three team up against Spider-Man in a big cross-over? Money. This current plan is just bizarre though. I guess part of the problem is most of the good villains have already been in very recent MCU movies, so they're left with the scraps? Who knows.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #5740
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris Pratt as Garfield had to be the worst casting in a movie trailer I’ve seen this week.

Dakota Johnson as Madame Web: hold my beer.