Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #5721
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ubisoft is rumored to have multiple Assassin's Creed announcements for Saturday's showcase and one is a game set in Japan.

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-cr...5Nryu1jGJKAMME
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:25 PM   #5722
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

And no one should care because #### Ubisoft.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:57 PM   #5723
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
And no one should care because #### Ubisoft.
Why? What did I miss?
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:16 AM   #5724
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean nothing new, Ubisoft has always been the quintessential embodiment of everything that's bad about AAA game publishers. They have really no regard, and it sometimes seems to verge on contempt, for their customers - they are shamelessly and remorselessly focused solely on grabbing any dime that isn't nailed down at any cost and with zero regard for any other consideration that one might have in making a video game. It's as if there was a movie studio that exclusively made variations of Space Jam 2. If you want specific examples, I would bet googling "why is Ubisoft hated" will get you a thousand results... Any complaint anyone can aim at any company that makes video games applies to Ubisoft.

So really just a general comment of "#### Ubisoft", because... #### 'em. Which isn't to say you're a bad person for liking a game they made, obviously.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-07-2022 at 12:19 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 02:29 AM   #5725
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### Ubisoft. Watched them spend the last two decades ruining all my favourite franchises.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #5726
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me Ubisoft is like the Michael Bay of game devs

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #5727
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ubisoft had the abuse allegations which are bad and thankfully were taken seriously and sounds like things have gotten better with their internal culture now.

But in terms of the actual games they develop I don't think they are as bad as others. They actually still create single player experiences, and haven't been as heavy handed with GAAS and Microtransactions.

Sure lots of games are just re-skins of the same framework (AC and Far Cry come to mind) but overall still better than what places like Activision have done to their studios and games imo.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #5728
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
but overall still better than what places like Activision have done to their studios and games imo.
Atleast they don't charge new game prices for games that are 6+ years old like Activision. I doubt I'll play another COD until they end up on Game Pass because no way will I be paying that much for old games.

Last edited by Inferno; 09-07-2022 at 11:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #5729
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
We will see . I own every ac game and Valhalla was one I left half done for years now. Well 70 to 75% done. I just really didn't dig it. I'd rather play glitchy unity on repeat than Valhalla. I wasn't really even a fan of ac 3 and conner but that held my attention way more than the go for this and that play of Valhalla.

So we will see what's up when We see actual game play .
I actually liked Valhalla and played through it twice, but yeah it gripped me the least out of the last few ACs for whatever reason. I can't even blame it on not enough stealth, as Origins and Odyssey were similar and I loved both those games. I just didn't resonate with the character, and I thought Eivor's voice actor was weak (I played the male version so I can't comment on the female), he's probably my alltime least favourite AC protagonist.

Don't even get me started on Unity...I didn't play it until 6 months after it released so I loved it, it deserved to be remembered so much better. Ubi totally blew it releasing it too early, and the blowback was so bad they basically rebooted the franchise from the ground up. I truly feel AC looks entirely different right now if they pushed back the Unity release a few months.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #5730
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say I have been roped into the last decade of AC games. Yes they are all essentially variations of the same game but they manage to do a bit of everything at a high enough level that makes them enjoyable to sink 50-80 hours into. I don't know how anyone can diss a game like AC and pile up praise for Horizon Forbidden West or Ghosts of Tsushima which follow the identical blueprint and in some ways not as well. The Far Cry games are a little more hit and miss with me but I find them decent enough. What other big franchises do they really have going these days though other than the Tom Clancy games?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #5731
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I will say I have been roped into the last decade of AC games. Yes they are all essentially variations of the same game but they manage to do a bit of everything at a high enough level that makes them enjoyable to sink 50-80 hours into.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with them feeling the same as long as the setting is different each game. The only thing I can say that really annoys me about them is when I have to go back into present day and play for a while. But they seem to have gotten better with that and they aren't as long.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #5732
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With all the AC talk going on and I apologize if it's been mentioned but AC: Origins is free on Amazon Prime gaming right now along with Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Also, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is free on Epic Games until tomorrow.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #5733
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I enjoyed Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Old 09-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #5734
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't Ubisoft like 10 years late with that AC Black Sails spiritual successor that skips the sneaking around, and instead focuses on the ships?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #5735
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Isn't Ubisoft like 10 years late with that AC Black Sails spiritual successor that skips the sneaking around, and instead focuses on the ships?
Skull & Bones?

It's supposed to be coming out November 8th.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #5736
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome strategy humble bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/2k-megahits
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #5737
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Awesome strategy humble bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/2k-megahits
Great bundle, only 4 games in there I don't own, haha. Many of which I still play on occasion (especially XCOM2 & Civ)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #5738
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

It makes me so mad that with all our modern technology, new transport games are not even as good as Railroad Tycoon II (1998).
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 04:11 PM   #5739
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Skull & Bones?

It's supposed to be coming out November 8th.
The ship warfare was one of my favourite parts of the AC franchise, but if I'm being honest I'd pretty much given up hope Skull and Bones would see daylight. I'm less interested than I was years ago when I played Black Flag and Rogue, but....yay, finally!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #5740
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
To me Ubisoft is like the Michael Bay of game devs
I am a casual gamer, and have no idea who makes these games. However finished far cry 6 recently and consistently was shocked at the 20 year old design and physics of the game.

Literal road pylons that don’t move, their like metal poles in ground. Have we not solved this problem?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote