Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #5641
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
OK, say it's a year. Can you build a transit system in a year? I think we're going on a decade for the Green line, so surely you can see my point here.

There are a lot of transit improvements you can make in a year that aren't major infrastructure projects like the Green Line.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:29 AM   #5642
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
First, I'd like to say I am ambivalent about the carbon tax, and all taxes.
That said, I get the sense that most people spend money to their absolute limit no matter how much they have. Outside of the folks who live in actual poverty, most people would simply spend that money on more things. Now, people are allowed to spend their money how they please, but I have a hard time sympathizing with people who drive brand new gas guzzlers as commuters complaining about cost of living.

Of course there are people who are forced to change their diet and their living arrangements because of the cost of living. Never the less, some personal accountability for your finances is still required.
To me, it's not even about targeting gas prices... It's simply the easiest mechanism for the gov't to quickly and effectively change an expense that affects the majority of people.

As I said in my previous post, I like consumption taxes, so for all I care, they could jack it up, and that's as someone with a household full of gas guzzlers... But even at $4/L like Corsi said, I'm not taking the bus
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #5643
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
To me, it's not even about targeting gas prices... It's simply the easiest mechanism for the gov't to quickly and effectively change an expense that affects the majority of people.

As I said in my previous post, I like consumption taxes, so for all I care, they could jack it up, and that's as someone with a household full of gas guzzlers... But even at $4/L like Corsi said, I'm not taking the bus
I am all about personal accountability, and as such, I am happy to let people spend their money how they please. So by all means commute how you like. By that same token, you have to be your own first responder when it comes to finances. Take food waste for example. Is it the governments fault people waste their food (money)?

Quote:
  • Canadians create over 50 million tonnes of food waste every year despite 60% of it being avoidable through better planning and awareness.
  • The average Canadian household produces 79 kilograms of food waste per year according to the UN Food Waste Index.
  • 47% of food waste in Canada is generated at the household level.
  • Over six tenths of food waste in Canada could be easily avoided.
  • Canada’s yearly food waste is equivalent to 9.8 million tonnes of CO2.
  • Fruits and vegetables account for 45% of food waste.
  • Redirecting or rescuing surplus edible food could save 3.82 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per tonne of food.
https://madeinca.ca/food-waste-canada-statistics/
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #5644
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am all about personal accountability, and as such, I am happy to let people spend their money how they please. So by all means commute how you like. By that same token, you have to be your own first responder when it comes to finances. Take food waste for example. Is it the governments fault people waste their food (money)?

https://madeinca.ca/food-waste-canada-statistics/
Personally speaking, my household food waste went up logarithmically when I had kids. You can't not cook them healthy food, but it's also damn near impossible to get them to eat most of it. I talk about food waste a lot in my household, but it's not as simple as making better choices and planning- trust me, I am planning to the maximum extent at the moment lol.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 11:19 AM   #5645
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
There are a lot of transit improvements you can make in a year that aren't major infrastructure projects like the Green Line.
Absolutely, but... do both. And the reason the green line is taking so long is a bunch of ####wit NIMBYs, as is tradition. They should be doing that AND improving airport access immediately AND beefing up the infrastructure around the existing lines AND extending the west leg north through Aspen Woods to COP. 10 billion dollars, go.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #5646
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Absolutely, but... do both. And the reason the green line is taking so long is a bunch of ####wit NIMBYs, as is tradition. They should be doing that AND improving airport access immediately AND beefing up the infrastructure around the existing lines AND extending the west leg north through Aspen Woods to COP. 10 billion dollars, go.
Your party is not going to have any success if you continue to just talk about your policy platform. Need more attack ads!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #5647
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I would certainly have a lot of targets to attack considering no party seems to agree with me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:49 AM   #5648
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
From $0.1105/L litre to $0.1431/L in April 2023 (for Alberta). Rate increases are always in April.
Why does CBC Radio keep saying that gas tax was nulled out because the carbon tax also went up?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #5649
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Personally speaking, my household food waste went up logarithmically when I had kids.
Your food waste was the inverse function to exponentiation? Are you cooking food that ends up in a black hole?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #5650
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Your food waste was the inverse function to exponentiation? Are you cooking food that ends up in a black hole?
My waistline has grown exponentially since cooking for kids, so I must be a black hole.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:02 AM   #5651
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Why does CBC Radio keep saying that gas tax was nulled out because the carbon tax also went up?
When it was introduced it was on Jan 1, but since then it's been in April, per the following:

Quote:
January 1, 2020 for Alberta (see Table 1 below), the date on which Part 1 of the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act Regulations (Alberta) (SOR/2019-294) will come into force. The rates for this province will increase every April 1 thereafter, beginning on April 1, 2020.
Next increases are as follows: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...3-to-2030.html

CBC might be assuming the gasoline carbon tax increase is lumped in with the governments carbon tax increase on Jan 1 for large industrial emitters (which went from $50 to $65/tonne). They must have bought into the conservative media BS, say something enough and it's bound to be accepted as the truth. That or no one does their homework anymore?
Old 01-05-2023, 04:11 PM   #5652
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
When it was introduced it was on Jan 1, but since then it's been in April, per the following:

Next increases are as follows: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...3-to-2030.html

CBC might be assuming the gasoline carbon tax increase is lumped in with the governments carbon tax increase on Jan 1 for large industrial emitters (which went from $50 to $65/tonne). They must have bought into the conservative media BS, say something enough and it's bound to be accepted as the truth. That or no one does their homework anymore?
Heh, so they'll rescind the fuel-tax-holiday on April 1 then to massively overstate the carbon tax increase?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:10 PM   #5653
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Jesus Christ. This is our Minister of Mental Health & Addictions

https://twitter.com/user/status/1612134846113132549
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #5654
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Jesus Christ. This is our Minister of Mental Health & Addictions

https://twitter.com/user/status/1612134846113132549
What did it say, the tweet has been deleted?
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #5655
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
He just quoted an article from the Daily Mail about a Portland woman who said that the Government feeding her made being homeless and and addicted to drugs really easy.

Which may or may not be accurate...but...its the Daily Mail.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the Daily Mail suffice it to say that the average citizen has more than likely wiped their ass with journalism of greater integrity than the Daily Mail at some point in their lives or another.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 03:25 PM   #5656
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Here ya go:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1612167393505312768
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 07:03 PM   #5657
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

This guy is my MLA. Yay me. I can’t wait to vote these turds out.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 07:15 PM   #5658
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:43 PM   #5659
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Alberta Politics & Government Thread 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
This guy is my MLA. Yay me. I can’t wait to vote these turds out.

Unfortunately I think the UCP is going to cruise to victory. The economy is good, inflation notwithstanding. Jobs are increasing, people are moving here, the budget is in surplus (100% due to royalties of course), the government is giving out money, Smith’s handlers are dialling back her crazy, bad man Kenney is gone, healthcare is bad but ‘it’s bad everywhere’, and NDP-bad is being rammed down our throats every day between now and the election. As loathsome as I find the party they will win over the majority who don’t follow politics closely.

I hope I’m wrong
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 08:23 PM   #5660
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't doubt it now. The UCP happens to be in government while the economy rebounded from the recession of the late 2010's and the pandemic. They will take credit of course, and people will believe them. Even though they've been nothing short of a horrible joke and embarrassment. But I guess you could say that about conservatism in general these days.

Of course when Smith gets reelected, get ready for the real Danielle to emerge. Her handlers have a gag order on her at the moment, but once that spot is secured for another four years, it's open season for far-right libertarianism. And God help Alberta when that happens.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 01-08-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote