Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #5621
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, its a major case of Georgeous George syndrome.

I would hope that they're not going to put him into matches at all. Please, please please.

I was never a huge fan of Ric Flair, especially in the later days. He really needed people to bring the best of him out. As a heel manager or mouth piece, I think he's probably still great.

But anyone that watched that "last match" of his, will tell you, that he should never get in the ring again.

I still expect that he's going to be found dead some day with a bottle clutched in his hands.
The busty lady with Randy Savage?

I just remember him mostly from like WCW towards the end in 97 or whatever and in WWF when he was fighting with McMahon.

Most of his matches sucked, he was only good on the mic.

I can't believe its 2023 and a wrestling company has Sting and Ric Flair as main pieces.

What is Hogan and Nash up too?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #5622
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

The original one.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #5623
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't believe its 2023 and a wrestling company has Sting and Ric Flair as main pieces.
Sting has never been a "main piece" in AEW. I think he's main-evented a couple of Dynamites, but he's mostly been a mid-card tag-team attraction. Also, I'm not sure how Flair showing up once and maybe managing a mid-card team for next four months makes him a main piece either.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:16 PM   #5624
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Sting has never been a "main piece" in AEW. I think he's main-evented a couple of Dynamites, but he's mostly been a mid-card tag-team attraction. Also, I'm not sure how Flair showing up once and maybe managing a mid-card team for next four months makes him a main piece either.

Why are they pieces at all?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 03:19 PM   #5625
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Why are they pieces at all?
Sting still pops ratings.

EDIT: Apparently not - https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/20...gift-ric-flair

Last edited by rubecube; 10-26-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #5626
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the way NJPW handles their veterans / legends. They keep them on the roster, but further down the card and not always full-time. People like Satoshi Kojima and Yugi Nagata are great examples of giving depth to the roster, and can step up when needed to in a pinch (Kojima can still go when he wants to). They act as gatekeepers, giving back to the business that gave to them, and putting the next generation of stars over. More often than not they can't wrestle like they used to, but they can sure work their character well into old age. Some people may not like this approach, but I do.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:36 AM   #5627
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

To shift gears a little bit, East Coast Pro Wrestling's Metal Mayham event is now on YouTube (well part 1 anyway, steel cage match is in part 2, but ladder match to main event part 1). Also, my suit is steel colored!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 09:53 AM   #5628
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Nope the original Gorgeous George Wagner. He was one of the biggest stars in the 40's with one of the first flamboyant characters in the black boots and black trunks era.

He was supposedly amazing a good worker, one of the best heels of his time, with a sexy valet in every town.

Sadly he was the prime example nowadays of the wrestler who made it all, blew it all, pretty much drank himself to death and died penniless. But he inspired a lot of wrestlers to this day.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #5629
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like MJF vs. Omega was as good as you'd expect. Still pissed they gave it away on free TV.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:13 PM   #5630
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like MJF vs. Omega was as good as you'd expect. Still pissed they gave it away on free TV.

Well, I guess the big positive is that Omega didn't defeat MJF when the Young Bucks came out and stunned MJF with a cattle prod.

Add on, I watched that match and it was decent, Its still the same thing that drives me bonkers though, the steady no sell of big moves, the weird timing thing when wrestlers are waiting for each other to pull big moves, so the match looks a bit choreographed.

I mean it wasn't consistently like that through the whole match, but there were times, when it was the flurry of moves, no sells, stand up wait for you opponent to run to the rope while staring at each other, then the ducked clothes line, then big move like a reverse hurricarana by MJF. Omega no sells stands up they bounce off of the ropes type of things.

Yeah, I get it, I'm old guy bitching, fine whatever. But I miss the old days of an immersive experience when you believed a big move or even a small move was devastating, or you could believe one guy was battered and exhausted which made the comeback more satisfying.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-28-2023 at 09:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 09:42 PM   #5631
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I do wonder if MJF is getting overexposed as well? You're having him open the next PPV with the ROH titles, a feud with Juice over the ring, a match with Kenny, a feud with Jay White, adding Samoa Joe as protection, an off-screen bromance with Adam Page, a quasi-feud with The Kingdom, and don't forget the program with The Acclaimed! How can he be featured in so many programs at once? He's all over AEW these days. I feel bad for the guy as he is being asked to carry so much. There's also whatever is going on with Wardlow!

Too much exposure isn't necessarily a good thing. If Freeman ever went down with an injury they would be a deep gap in talent depth, as everything is running through him right now.

Oh and was Danielson hurt again last night? They should be careful with how he is being handled as well. Especially since this is his final year, his matches should be featured in mainevent calibre situations, not random shows. Like Captain has said before, Tony and Co. need to protect Danielson from himself.

Meltzer is reporting that Daniel is out for the rest of the year after getting surgery.

I want to comment on the whole Danielson protecting himself. I most of the times won't watch his matches, first of all because he's been used like crap. Second of all, and I'm going to take heat from this. But I feel like I'm literally watching a Randy the Ram character in the ring. I get it, he wanted to go to AEW because they would clear him and allow him to wrestle after WWE pretty much shut him down. But with Daniel I see a wrestler that who is exceptional, and talented and well rounded, who doesn't protect himself in the ring, and does really unnecessary things.

I remember me and my friends that were hard core wrestling fans always had a ghoulish list of the most likely to have terrible post wrestling lives, either due to a accumulation of injuries, or apparent drug use or whatever.

I don't have Daniel on that list because frankly I have him on that list.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:51 AM   #5632
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand the anger. Sure it could have been a ppv main event, but I will gladly watch it for free.

I guess it could have been built more than a couple weeks, but it fit in the story they're telling with everyone coming after MJF and Adam Cole not helping his brochacho.

Watching the post match speeches to the crowd, Omega also made it sound like he's slowing down a bit.
GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:22 PM   #5633
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was awesome. Piper did the whole squeezing the beard thing Anvil used to do.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #5634
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

MJF vs. Daniel Garcia this week on Dynamite. I'm kind of thinking Max is heading to WWE in 2024 and TK is trying to squeeze out as much from him as they can in the meantime. I also think Max's character won't work as well in WWE, but he's proven go be pretty versatile, so who knows.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:36 PM   #5635
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
MJF vs. Daniel Garcia this week on Dynamite. I'm kind of thinking Max is heading to WWE in 2024 and TK is trying to squeeze out as much from him as they can in the meantime. I also think Max's character won't work as well in WWE, but he's proven go be pretty versatile, so who knows.

Its been weird booking for MJF. They've literally got him involved in every story line, he's being spread way to thin.

He is versatile, but for me the face MJF is just more cringe worthy and not as interesting as heel MJF.

Yeah, maybe he's leaving, I don't know. I think he works in WWE, though he's not a monster, he's a great heel.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #5636
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wonder if this is it for John Cena. He pretty much got his ass completely kicked in by Solo, taking a solid beating and being made to look like that past his prime but game veteran that can't keep up.

I don't know if Cena is done if this is a great last memory of him.

Overall Crown Jewell has been decent, and man did they make Rhea look great.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #5637
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Happy to see Kairi Sane back. I was a big fan of her as a crazed heel.

Old 11-04-2023, 02:34 PM   #5638
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

God I just want this Roman Regins era to end.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #5639
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He is versatile, but for me the face MJF is just more cringe worthy and not as interesting as heel MJF.
I don't think they had a choice but to turn him. He was getting massive pops as a heel, no matter how scummy he was.

His schtick works better in AEW because he's allowed to get away with way more stuff and go off script more than he ever would in WWE.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #5640
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
God I just want this Roman Regins era to end.
Oh, Roman won after massive amounts of outside interference? How fresh and original!