Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #541
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rule of Thirds Financing

City of Calgary pays $185M. Period. All other slushed costs outlined in their slide are on the City. Flames pay $185M. Period. Ticket Surcharge is $185M, and stays in place until that amount is recovered. City owns the building. Flames have exclusive use of the building and receive all revenues. City can recover their contribution through the imposition of a 1% entertainment tax, like they do in many of the US cities. This tax stays in place until that $185M is recovered. All revenues are recovered through use taxes and surcharges. Everyone gets what they want and what they need.

This is a win-win for everyone. City gets a recovery scheme for their investment. They also get a helluva deal on the "rent" the Flames are paying upfront in the tune of that $185M. If the City was forced to pay for the whole building, and then lease it out based on competitive rates ($3.5M per year in Edmonton) it would take the City 52.8 years to recoup that money. There is something in there for everyone to love, and something in there for everyone to hate.
Sorry, but I think that is a brutal deal for the City. How is $185 million (let's say $370 million including the ticket tax) a "helluva deal" for rent from the Flames when the building costs $550 million to develop (plus generates zero property tax). It's just the City taking a guaranteed and horrific loss on its investment.

And why on earth should the local hotel industry have to subsidize the Flames?

EDIT: for some reason, I thought you proposed a hotel tax.

In any event, my point remains the same.

In any event, municipalities are creature of provincial legislation. They only have whatever tax authority granted to them by the province.

Last edited by Makarov; 09-15-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #542
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This is the stuff that I don't like.

Shill?

There are 1000s of pro city comments in this section, 1000s, are they city shills? The guy has a difference of opinion, let that stand on merit and discuss what you do or don't agree with.

Labeling him as a shill is the weakest form of argument existing.

New Era has consistently twisted himself into a pretzel to make this the city's fault no matter what , short of the city just giving the flames a new rink he basically thinks it's a bad idea. If that's his position then we have all heard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #543
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
How? Pay less then 100% of costs but keep 100% of revenue? How is that a bad deal?

The Flames pay their share + they pay the property taxes(so the city gets it money back through ticket sales, ticket sales that will come from Flames games.) And have not heard what the Flames have to say.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #544
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
This is turning into a bad drama playing out in public. Like a dysfunctional couple yelling at each other over money issues in a restaurant.
See, this is something I've been saying for a while now. We've got the head of the CSEC dealing with the head of the City, maybe we need different people sitting in the seats talking this over.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #545
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
New Era has consistently twisted himself into a pretzel to make this the city's fault no matter what , short of the city just giving the flames a new rink he basically thinks it's a bad idea. If that's his position then we have all heard enough.
There are 10x that many people doing the exact same the other way.

Guess what! You can ignore him then!

Try it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #546
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

No...he just has a different point of view and you are all butt-hurt over it. Clearly you can't tolerate that somebody else sees things different than you. Maybe the internet isn't a safe place for you.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #547
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think NewEras position is the Edmonton deal set the market and Calgary if they want to keep the flames Needs to have its deal approach the dumpster fire in the North. He is "willing" to pay close to that price to keep them.

So fair to him becomes better than a dumpster fire. It's a reasonable position to take, not a shill.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #548
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
The Flames pay their share + they pay the property taxes(so the city gets it money back through ticket sales, ticket sales that will come from Flames games.) And have not heard what the Flames have to say.
I don't understand what you are saying here?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think NewEras position is the Edmonton deal set the market and Calgary if they want to keep the flames Needs to have its deal approach the dumpster fire in the North. He is "willing" to pay close to that price to keep them.

So fair to him becomes better than a dumpster fire. It's a reasonable position to take though, not a shill.
See, I dont see that. I think the 'Edmonton Deal' as largely acknowledged as an outlier as opposed to a benchmark.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #550
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
King has called a press conference for 11:30 AM MT.
"We've agreed to build the new arena with the City's proposal, and by the way, here's Jaromir Jagr."
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #551
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
No...he just has a different point of view and you are all butt-hurt over it. Clearly you can't tolerate that somebody else sees things different than you. Maybe the internet isn't a safe place for you.
I'm sorry, but NewEra and IAmNotKenKing are a totally different breed than simply having a different opinion. Estrada has a different opinion and I find his takes to mostly be fine, if misguided (IMO of course). NewEra, who doesn't even live in Calgary and seemingly looks for every reason to bash the city, is actually a decent poster outside these types of threads, but he's so absurd in this thread it's pretty sad actually. And he pot shots and goes after posters as much as anyone.

In some ways I'd kinda like to make a deal, me and the other posters who are on the other side (but it's wrong to say we want no city contribution) will stay out of these threads if NewEra and IAmNotKenKng do too. I think that's actually fair. But when they make the posts they does, they're basically quasi trolling.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #552
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I don't understand what you are saying here?
What I am saying is that the City will get there money back through property taxes and the Flames will take all the risks of trying to fill the arena for events(what happens if there not enough events, other than the Flames home games, there are no guarantees for the Flames.)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #553
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
There are 10x that many people doing the exact same the other way.
This not true.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #554
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think NewEras position is the Edmonton seal set the market and Calgary if they want to keep the flames Needs to have its deal approach the dumpster fire in the North. He is "willing" to pay close to that price.
My response to that is that the relative bargaining positions are very different in this case.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #555
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
King has called a press conference for 11:30 AM MT.
Does anyone know if this is being streamed somewhere? I want to watch this
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #556
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No wonder the Flames didn't want the details released.

They come out looking really bad and likely have helped Nenshi in the election and in the eye of Calgarians over this arena issue.

That deal is more than fair.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #557
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And that isn't my position. My position is a fair deal for all, which is not what the majority of this board want. I want a deal that works for the Flames, the City and the tax payers. Unfortunately there are circumstances that make this very difficult, like a refusal to understand or even acknowledge the structure of the Edmonton deal. But I digress counselor, precedent doesn't matter in most people's world, right? Excuse me, but I have some shillery to move on to.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #558
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
Does anyone know if this is being streamed somewhere? I want to watch this
No video but this will provide the audio.

http://player.sportsnet960.ca/
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #559
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This not true.
Are you asking me to go back and count them? It's an estimate. You don't see this site as having a lean towards the city in this debate?

Either way at least you responded instead of just thanking every post that takes a pot shot at me.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #560
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And that isn't my position. My position is a fair deal for all, which is not what the majority of this board want. I want a deal that works for the Flames, the City and the tax payers. Unfortunately there are circumstances that make this very difficult, like a refusal to understand or even acknowledge the structure of the Edmonton deal. But I digress counselor, precedent doesn't matter in most people's world, right? Excuse me, but I have some shillery to move on to.

Listen, the Edmonton was an absolute disaster. Katz basically put up 50 million of his own capital for a 600 million project. That is absolutely ridiculous. if that deal is "fair" to you, then you and I have a very different definition of fair.