Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #541
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Air compressor and air hammer with chisel bit ?

Keep the compressor outside of work area.

Sounds dead sexy, but I'm an urbanite living in a small-ish box in Vancouver. Is there a suitable air set-up for a weekend warrior like me that will do the job and not take up a tonne of storage space? I know nothing about compressors and would be worried about noise issues with the strata if I'm keeping the compressor in a common area. On the plus side sure would be helpful when it comes time to install new baseboards!

OTOH a rotary hammer drill or angle grinder are smaller investments that I'll (probably) get other uses out of too, and are more storable.

Sucks not being able to afford four detached walls.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #542
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I use an angle grinder and this wheel/stone

http://topdogtool.com/bosch-fcw11c50...wheel-cup.html

Make sure to poly the area off and wear a mask, it's dustier than a fotzes Mom joke.

You could also do a self leveling concrete
Never thought about the concrete idea. Right now it's a 1/4" step down from hardwood to tile, and if I level the tile area (and add in a membrane that the strata insists upon for noise control) then the step down might be from tile to hardwood. Could work!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #543
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can rent tools from Home Depot, I'm sure they have compressors.

Or you can forget about it and get a nice area rug. It might tie the room together.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #544
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You can rent tools from Home Depot, I'm sure they have compressors.

Or you can forget about it and get a nice area rug. It might tie the room together.
Lol. I'll do that, and then you can deal with my wife!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #545
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
Sucks not being able to afford four detached walls.
Haha. Even the collective CP demographic, where everyone is top 1%er, will have a tough time affording 4 walls in Vancouver!
When it comes to tile, anything that you can go over instead of rip out is good in my books, where possible.
Good luck with the project!

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 09-11-2015 at 07:41 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #546
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Curious if anyone else has come up with a great solution for a dog in a new home with an unfinished yard? Right now we take her for walks but we have had a bad string of rain lately which makes it hard to keep her feet clean. Way to much hassle. Our deck is done with stairs down to the mud, I was thinking of putting some gravel or sod down for her to use with a snow fence around it. Make shift until the spring melt is over and we can do it up properly. I was leaning towards gravel because she has been trained not to pee on the grass, but sod seems so much cheaper and easier to clean up in the spring. Just pick it up and throw it out. I only need a 10 x 5 area or so at the most. Anyone else dealt with this?
Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #547
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buy some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet? Toss it out in the spring.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #548
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mostly finished off my terrace after it partially collapsed in late August.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Just have to put everything that was out there back and do some final clean up and it's finished. Nice to get another project scratched off the to-do list.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 10-04-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #549
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Mostly finished off my terrace after it partially collapsed in late August.

Just have to put everything that was out there back and do some final clean up and it's finished. Nice to get another project scratched off the to-do list.
Maybe some spoiler tags there for the size.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #550
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Finally put on the last drawer fronts in my kitchen this afternoon. Since the litchen has been functional, work has been progressing slower.

Wil probably redo a couple of panels not too far down the road.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #551
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have an idea to store/organize bikes in a garage? Planning to park both vehicles in the garage during the winter but our bikes, 2 adults and 2 kids bikes, are in the way. They are currently secured in the ceiling but dont want them falling off the cars. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #552
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know if there is any possible way to use existing telephone or coax wiring throughout the house as a guide for fishing Ethernet cable around? It's kind of a long shot, but I was hoping to drill as few new holes around as possible. Maybe even just replacing the phone jack locations with Ethernet ports. I guess the pain point is the cables are probably stapled to studs along the wall. Just wondering if anybody has some tips for doing this as unobtrusively as possible. The only thing I can think of it trying to use the heating ducts and locating my router/switch in the furnace room. Any precautions doing that? I don't think the heat will be too bad, but chattering cables would drive me nuts.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #553
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Does anyone have an idea to store/organize bikes in a garage? Planning to park both vehicles in the garage during the winter but our bikes, 2 adults and 2 kids bikes, are in the way. They are currently secured in the ceiling but dont want them falling off the cars. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

I bought 2 bike hoists from Canadian Tire a few years ago that I never ended up using. If you are interested in them let me know.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #554
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody know if there is any possible way to use existing telephone or coax wiring throughout the house as a guide for fishing Ethernet cable around? It's kind of a long shot, but I was hoping to drill as few new holes around as possible. Maybe even just replacing the phone jack locations with Ethernet ports. I guess the pain point is the cables are probably stapled to studs along the wall. Just wondering if anybody has some tips for doing this as unobtrusively as possible. The only thing I can think of it trying to use the heating ducts and locating my router/switch in the furnace room. Any precautions doing that? I don't think the heat will be too bad, but chattering cables would drive me nuts.
I was hoping to do the same thing but as you mentioned the phone cables were stapled and couldn't be used for fishing the Ethernet cable. Luckily for me, we have a large open wall/cavity that goes from the basement up to the attic. I can run cables from the basement router up to the attic and drop the lines into the walls from the attic.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #555
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pm'd you Wormius
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #556
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I was hoping to do the same thing but as you mentioned the phone cables were stapled and couldn't be used for fishing the Ethernet cable. Luckily for me, we have a large open wall/cavity that goes from the basement up to the attic. I can run cables from the basement router up to the attic and drop the lines into the walls from the attic.

What did you do about insulated walls? Or did you have to deal with any?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #557
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

I want to put this dryer vent hose on the left side of this floor joist.
Is there any issues with me cutting a 4" hole in there so I can pop the vent through? Any issues if I did it to two of them in a row?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #558
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What did you do about insulated walls? Or did you have to deal with any?
I put the cables down interior walls. The only other thing that I had to deal with was blocking about half way down the wall. Had to open up the wall and drill through the blocking.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #559
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. I think I need to psych myself up and just start. I am dreading the patching and clean-up that invariably follows these little projects.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #560
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not much you can do to reuse old cabling unfortunately. If you're looking for something to make your life a bit easier, check out klein tools fish sticks. They're little carbon rods that have metal threading on the end. Also heres a drywallers trick he taught me (yes I learned something from a drywaller):

PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: