Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #541
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't this an intangible "culture" thing that people talk about? The Flames do not have a history and a legacy of excellence. And it is definitely not something that permeates the room. Maybe Gio brought that for a time, but he doesn't seem to have the juice to do that any more.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #542
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I'm not saying to keep the core intact forever. I'm saying the coaching is the easier problem to address right now. Ok yeah sure they tune out coaches after a year and have maybe tuned out Ward. So why keep Ward then? Bring in a coach now and save the season, then get rid of the problem players in the offseason.

It has to be a better alternative than the team playing this boring, ugly brand of hockey right now.
What coach in their right mind would come into that situation? This year especially, when they’d have to quarantine, likely leave their families for the rest of the year, and then miss out on all the other jobs available in the off season, including Seattle.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #543
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This is true, but lots of people are talking about guys like Boudreau or Gallant, and they would have to quarantine. I suspect that’s not as big a deal to the Flames as it is to them. Plus, their families might not care to do it and they’d end up being along for the rest of the season.

So Ward might go (but I don’t think Gelinas would be the replacement). I suspect it would be Huska (who wasn’t a Ward/Peters man - he predated them).

But I don;t think there’s an outside replacement coming this season.
Money can motivate people to move. 2 week quarantine is not that big of a deal if you can afford to do it in a luxurious setting.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #544
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What coach in their right mind would come into that situation? This year especially, when they’d have to quarantine, likely leave their families for the rest of the year, and then miss out on all the other jobs available in the off season, including Seattle.
Bruce Boudreau.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #545
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Money can motivate people to move. 2 week quarantine is not that big of a deal if you can afford to do it in a luxurious setting.
It is if your family doesn’t come with you.

The other thing is - does the team really want to give in to the players yet again? I know you can’t trade the whole team, but maybe a high profile move would shake things up attitude wise.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #546
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Very fair. I meant more in the sense when people ask me who I cheer for it makes me sad to say the flames hahaha.
Not me. I answer proudly.
It's easy to be a fan of teams that win all the time.
It's more impressive to hang in there through decades of crud.

I think....
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #547
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Problem with firing Ward is Treliving's ego. Hiring Ward made no sense from day 1. Treliving put his reputation on the line here.

This is a guy that whiffed on every coaching move here. Admittting to yet another mistake this early must be pretty hard. It's understandable. Human factors still exist in those circles.
Don’t think his ego plays into it. Asking permission from owners to get another coach yet again probably ends with Tre getting his pink slip. Granted I think Tre will be getting his pink slip at end of season anyway , unless there is a drastic turn around on the ice play product.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #548
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can they not hire an elite coach now, keep it quiet and announce them at end of the season? Just put a lame duck coach in. Finish the short year with a high pick. Deal some players at the draft.

Reload done.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #549
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bruce Boudreau.
I think all those things apply to Boudreau. He may really want to get back into coaching but if he thinks it through he’d choose to wait a couple more months and (a) not have to quarantine; (b) have a bigger selection of teams to go to; and (c) not coach a team that has tuned out 4 coaches already (well, Peters did it to himself but IMO they were on their way to getting rid of him too).
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #550
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

I think....
Agreed, 30+ years of being a Tottenham fan and 40+ of being a Flames fan.

It will mean a lot more when we win. This city was electric last time we made the Cup finals. I'm sure I'll cry if they ever win it again.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #551
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Don’t think his ego plays into it. Asking permission from owners to get another coach yet again probably ends with Tre getting his pink slip. Granted I think Tre will be getting his pink slip at end of season anyway , unless there is a drastic turn around on the ice play product.
But that is to assume that the owners don't know the Flames are not playing well and Treliving is under scrutiny for yet another botched coaching move.
They see what is going on. They have hockey contacts that can "mansplain" to them the Flames Xs and Os systems and how it fits the roster.

So they can either stick by Treliving and let him do the right thing or et him go and hire someone else to right the ship.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #552
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cant we just hire another coach and keep Ward back to prev title like with Peters and get rid of one of the other coaches to help subsidy, so no firing, keep face and get some coaching talent in here, maybe he would learn something!!
win win!
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #553
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Not only have the Flames been playing losing hockey, they've been playing very boring hockey.

It's getting harder and harder to maintain interest in this team...
Playing the 50/50 was more interesting then watching the game.

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #554
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Can they not hire an elite coach now, keep it quiet and announce them at end of the season? Just put a lame duck coach in. Finish the short year with a high pick. Deal some players at the draft.

Reload done.
That’s exactly what they’re doing right now with Ward. We just gotta ride it out as fans and try not to completely lose our minds every game.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #555
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

I think....
This. No one can say we’re bandwagoners.

There is something inspiring about loyalty.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #556
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
When posters were questioning why I called last Saturday’s win against the Canucks a “hollow victory”, THIS is exactly why. The writing was on the wall. Sure, it’s always nice to beat a rival, but you could see what was coming.

This team has quit. They know they don’t have what it takes.
Oh, they have what it takes. They just won't do it for this coach. And his "reasons" for doing whatever he seems to do out there.

While not perfectly constructed, this team can play with the best of them, if they're deployed properly, used in the right situations and set up for success, not merely randomized because "reasons".
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #557
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Isn't this an intangible "culture" thing that people talk about? The Flames do not have a history and a legacy of excellence. And it is definitely not something that permeates the room. Maybe Gio brought that for a time, but he doesn't seem to have the juice to do that any more.
I love Gio, he's a great leader. But he's a lead by example type and that doesn't work when nobody's following.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #558
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
That’s exactly what they’re doing right now with Ward. We just gotta ride it out as fans and try not to completely lose our minds every game.
Yeah nothing is going to happen this season outside maybe a Bennett trade. As much as it hurts, missing the playoffs may be the best thing for the organization as it may finally push ownership to fire Treliving who is the cause of this mess. He's build an okay roster but his coaching hires pretty well squandered the young team he inherited and it's clear to me he's best suited as an assistant GM where he can make a lot of phone calls, aid in contract negotiations, and draft evaluations but doesn't have the final call on the roster, free agency, and coach hires. He's had 7 years and it's time for a new GM to come in, bring in a new coaching staff, assess the talent, and make the corrections he sees fit.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #559
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

Reload done.
It's a waste of a good team...but given contract statuses...this is a good year to suck. Gaudreau for two playoff runs, Monahan for up to 3 playoff runs in a hockey trade, Bennett wants out anyways...you could get some decent assets. Having said that...I am always a big fan of bringing in a coach for 20 or so games the year before. It eliminates the adjustment period at the beginning of the following season and allows for better preparation over the summer.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #560
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is if your family doesn’t come with you.

The other thing is - does the team really want to give in to the players yet again? I know you can’t trade the whole team, but maybe a high profile move would shake things up attitude wise.
Many adults have spent two weeks away from family in their life. These are young men, many of them college age. Most people I know went away for college.

We should be respectful of athletes and what they go through but not like other people don’t spend time away from family at points in their life.

Yes I get it that getting traded across the border right now might be an extended stay away from family. But i don’t know even know what percentage of nhlers live with immediate family in the city of their team. On the Flames I assume it’s well less than half. So just saying I wouldn’t rule it out as a full stop and I know you’re not saying that. And there certainly could be particular hardships for players.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: