Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #5521
Franchise Player

Exp:

With regards to Bennett, i've wavered back and forth as to what his upside is.

Sometimes I see the skill, sometimes I don't see the hockey sense.

What is not in question is the heart and competitiveness.

There are a lot of parallels between Bennett's game and his first 3 years of production in the NHL to Ryan Kesler. Bennett is producing at a very similar pace to Kesler early in his career. The fourth full season is when Kesler really broke out offensively.

When Kesler arrived, he was the engine of that Canucks team. Henrik Sedin may have been the number 1 centre and scored more points, but no player was more important to that team than Kesler.

In short, no way I trade Bennett for Pacioretty.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #5522
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Almost all rumors stem around the flames trading for LHS-LW players.
I feel this is the worst place we need to be looking for depth, what the flames are lacking is RHS RW's. Outside of Frolik and Brouwer we have 0 TOP 6 players.

Ferland is producing just fine on his off wing on that top line, but I'd really like the flames to go after a pure finisher (yes they are impossible to find) but I again I feel the one threat we're missing on our PP specifically is that trigger man on his off wing top circle (Ovi, Stamkos, Laine) all play it and do it well.

We need someone there
Frolik is also a left shot
Old 01-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #5523
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

There are a lot of parallels between Bennett's game and his first 3 years of production in the NHL to Ryan Kesler. Bennett is producing at a very similar pace to Kesler early in his career. The fourth full season is when Kesler really broke out offensively.

When Kesler arrived, he was the engine of that Canucks team. Henrik Sedin may have been the number 1 centre and scored more points, but no player was more important to that team than Kesler.

Was Kesslers hockey IQ ever in question ? That is the big thing I think that is usually questioned in terms of Bennett. I'd love for Bennett to develop his game in to a Kessler mold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #5524
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Although, Bergevin is very Fleece-able.
The comments that have been made is Bergevin is looking to hit a home run on this deal. I have a feeling he is going to trade Pacioretty at the draft or after July 1 if he is going to try and hit the home run. His numbers this year do not warrant a 1st, young goal scorer, prospect which is the rumored ask.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #5525
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phaneuf, 3 more years at $7 million, and they think there will be interest in him?

Also, it's odd to see Neal and Perron on the list. That may have been McPhee's original plan, but at this point, it's hard to see Vegas being a seller at the deadline.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #5526
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

We’ll see if the Flyers try to offer sheet Bennett like they did for Kesler. I can see the comparison. I wouldn’t trade Bennett. I think he’s got no to mature into a great player for the Flames
Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #5527
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Good lord man that is an awful deal. Brodie AND Frolik +?

Also the Flames D strength is the right side. We have Hamilton, Hamonic, Stone all 27 or younger and our closest prospect to making the jump is Andersson whonis also a right shot. On the left side we have 34 year old Gio, 27 year old Brodie, Kulak and then Valimaki. Kylington is a left shot and Fox is a right shot. If GG is married to his L-R pairs then moving a right shot makes more sense.

If the Flames want to acquire that big piece for the top line like a Marner/Nylander then Dougie is the ask. The way Ferland has played I don’t think a top line winger is the biggest need. I don’t see the Flames moving Hamonic at all and Stone is not what the Habs want.

If they are dealing for Pacioretty perhaps a sending a couple of top prospects is the way they make it happen. The ask from the Hans though is a top goal scorer and we do not have one to give.

Janko abd Bennett should not be traded at all and they would be the players I could see the Habs wanting the most.

If there is a deal to be made between the Habs and Flames the good news is Treliving seems to be on the winning end of most of his blockbusters and Bergevin seems to be on the losing end.
Both Brodie and Pacioretty are on sweetheart deals (Brodie with 2 years left @ 4.65 per after this year, Pacioretty with 1 year left at 4.5 per after this year) Brodie hasn't been as consistent of a top player as Pacioretty has been or for as long and he's a year and a half younger than him.

Pacioretty is a proven 30 goal scorer and has 6 seasons of that to his name, he's been a captain and is still within his prime and semi-prime years at the age of 29.

To me Brodie + a forward is cheap in terms of what the ask is going to be and if you feel Brodie + Frolik + a prospect like Klimchuk is too much to pay for a guy who has scored 151 goals in the past 5 seasons and who is the current captain than I think we are close to the required cost of a player of Pacioretty's going to a buyer at the deadline.

Don't get me wrong here, Brodie isn't someone I am hoping gets traded ~ I feel we've been pretty hard on him even though he has been having a low year in comparison to his previous two but Pacioretty is going to cost you something like Brodie + Frolik or Backlund + prospect. Good players command good players or good futures and right now the Flames are heavy with good players and have solid futures in place to help off set the loss while filling an area of greater need.

Just spit balling though off an Eklund rumour hahaha
Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #5528
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Also, it's odd to see Neal and Perron on the list. That may have been McPhee's original plan, but at this point, it's hard to see Vegas being a seller at the deadline.
Those were my thoughts exactly. Golden Knights are leading the conference, and even though they probably would love more assets, messing with the chemistry is probably not worth the return.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #5529
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Was Kesslers hockey IQ ever in question ? That is the big thing I think that is usually questioned in terms of Bennett. I'd love for Bennett to develop his game in to a Kessler mold.
I'm starting to think it's not so much hockey IQ with Bennett but rather skills.

Kesler really worked on his shot and his one time slapshot specifically, which made him a threat on the powerplay.

Bennett doesn't really have a shot. It's something he needs to work on, because his greatest asset right now is taking the puck to the net, unfortunately, he doesn't have the shot to score when he gets to the prime scoring area.

A shot is something he can work on.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #5530
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course Calgary will be rumored to have inquired on Pacioretti. Treliving will outward his competitors and will inquire on every player.

Inquiring, researching, evaluating are still a far way from an offer.

Further, imagine if our offer involved Brouwer going the other way in a package. Perhaps it isn't as bad then
Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #5531
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i swear Benny is on the verge of really breaking out...

and it just seems like something mechanical/equipment in nature... i don't know how many times i've seen SB miss on a rebound because his stick isn't flat on the ice, or miss time a one timer... just lots of similar bad breaks makes me think that he should change sticks (maybe something a bit shorter)... or see an eye doctor!

anyways, he's showing too much upside now that he's been shifted to wing and playing on a line that is clicking...

Patches was great once... as of today, he'd cost way to much to acquire and is closer to being a financial boat anchor as opposed to a player outplaying his contract...

to borrow a mortgage term, he's underwater on that contract...no way I would touch it and lose prospects at the same time...
Old 01-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #5532
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

While talking about Hoffman, Dreger says it doesn't seem like the Flames have an appetite to add a whole bunch
https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-...-trade-market/

Quote:
Mike Hoffman would be an attractive trade asset for a number of NHL teams to acquire, and the St. Louis Blues have been one team tied to him with potential interest.

During a Thursday afternoon radio hit on Ottawa’s TSN 1200, hockey Insider Darren Dreger was asked about other possible matches.

“You know, it’s an interesting question and we don’t have a list for him yet,” began Dreger. “But given the assets that Mike Hoffman would bring to a club, I think that there’d be a ton of interest in him. And I believe that St. Louis is among those teams, absolutely.

“I originally thought that he’d be a good fit in Calgary, just because Calgary looks slow on the wing and when Hoffman is going he’s going to provide that element of speed. But slowly they’re going to get healthy and it doesn’t seem like there’s an appetite in Calgary to add a whole bunch.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-11-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #5533
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Ok. Bennett had a 15 game 0 point streak to start the season. He finally got a consistent line mate with whom he could develop chemistry. When Jankowski found his game at the NHL level and Bennett with him, he then turned a corner. The guy has had a few games without points recently but has made an impact. And through Nov/December had 12 points in 11 games I recall.

Bennett is 21, Pacioretty is 29, which is when many players start to decline. (Some faster than others)

I’d rather look at how Bennett is playing now than penalize him for the start of the season, which I don’t think is reflective of him now.

In fact I would say, (not that anyone is proposing this trade,) that I would not trade Bennett for Pacioretty straight up.

Im not saying anything other than how poor Sams production has been this year. Pacioretty has been extremely poor by his own standards, yet still is way ahead of Bennett. SB isnt being "penalized" for anything, its just the facts at this point. Nothing more and nothing less.

This is all being discussed because it was pointed out how snake bitten MP has been this year and that the Flames likely lead the league in that category so adding another is not very desirable.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #5534
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see many areas they need to add in at the moment.

Ferland is playing like a legit top line winger
3M line remains intact once Frolik returns
Bennett-Janko continue to improve
We have enough overpaid vets and young pros to fill the 4th line.

All 3 D pairs are solid as are the goalies. L

It wouldn’t shock be (barring injury) the Flames stand pat and depending on how the season unfolds they visit trading a Dman for picks or a young player st the draft.

They need to get Backlund signed though as they absolutely cannot lose that asset for nothing
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #5535
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Nah man, you don't get it. Bennett is like, super serious bad. We need to trade him for a 7th while we can.

Ditto with Jankowski. That guy is 2 years older than Bennett, and has only played 35 NHL games.

We're still idiots for not trading Ferland 2 years ago after that playoff run, because jeepers - even if we show him patience, and invest time into properly developing him, he's never going to become a guy to be on pace to score 30+ goals in a season.

Seriously.....who said ANY of this?

Furthermore, what does it add to the discussion that is actually occurring?

Wow.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #5536
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Im not saying anything other than how poor Sams production has been this year. Pacioretty has been extremely poor by his own standards, yet still is way ahead of Bennett. SB isnt being "penalized" for anything, its just the facts at this point. Nothing more and nothing less.

This is all being discussed because it was pointed out how snake bitten MP has been this year and that the Flames likely lead the league in that category so adding another is not very desirable.
Have you been watching the games?

One thing saying Sam Bennett is on pace for 30pts. That is true based on the entire season but that is not really doing him Justice. He was moved to wing after 15 games and has scored at a 50pt pace since while only playing on the third line with 2 AHL players that he is more than 2 years younger than.

Almost a certainty we lose that trade and I think anyone that disagrees hasn’t watched Bennett since he moved back to the wing or they have some kind of weird hate for Bennett.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #5537
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t see many areas they need to add in at the moment.

Ferland is playing like a legit top line winger
3M line remains intact once Frolik returns
Bennett-Janko continue to improve
We have enough overpaid vets and young pros to fill the 4th line.

All 3 D pairs are solid as are the goalies. L

It wouldn’t shock be (barring injury) the Flames stand pat and depending on how the season unfolds they visit trading a Dman for picks or a young player st the draft.

They need to get Backlund signed though as they absolutely cannot lose that asset for nothing

I agree.

the team looks a lot different since Hathaway was added to that 3rd line...it just seemed to allow other spots to be settled as well. The injury to Frolik looked to completely disrupt that, but Brouwer has filled in there enough to not affect everything else. The team is still woefully short on the right side however, as the Brouwer thing could go epically sideways at any given moment.

So for now I think they wait and see how long the current version of the club can play as they are. There is no hurry to make a deal if they keep picking up points most every night. Should it start to skew the wrong way again, then they have to the end of Feb to make the deal to correct it.

Tonights game may tell a good chunk of that story as well.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #5538
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Have you been watching the games?

One thing saying Sam Bennett is on pace for 30pts. That is true based on the entire season but that is not really doing him Justice. He was moved to wing after 15 games and has scored at a 50pt pace since while only playing on the third line with 2 AHL players that he is more than 2 years younger than.

Almost a certainty we lose that trade and I think anyone that disagrees hasn’t watched Bennett since he moved back to the wing or they have some kind of weird hate for Bennett.

Im not saying trade Bennett....anywhere.

Im saying he has been horribly snakebitten this year...as has Pacioretty and as such adding MP isn't desirable.

Does anyone actually read what is written anymore???
Old 01-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #5539
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Im not saying trade Bennett....anywhere.

Im saying he has been horribly snakebitten this year...as has Pacioretty and as such adding MP isn't desirable.

Does anyone actually read what is written anymore???
My apologies. Guilty of a quick skim then post. I need to avoid that in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #5540
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
While talking about Hoffman, Dreger says it doesn't seem like the Flames have an appetite to add a whole bunch
https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-...-trade-market/
Given Burke's comments about how much we miss Versteeg, and that we'll get him back at some point...this makes sense, as it's likely they're looking at Versteeg as the solution to the PP.

...not sure I agree with them, but hey...the 5v5 play has been solid (...and boring at times) for a month+ now. So as long as we stay in it, re-adding Versteeg and Frolik when they get healthy could be looked at as our trade deadline acquisitions.

....again, not sure I can agree with them...but I can see the train of thought

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-11-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Closed Thread