Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #5501
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There is almost too much potential for Dolph and his brother Ryan to do a storyline in AEW. If they want to make that guy a star (and no doubt he wants to be one), getting Dolph in for a short program would be incredible.

I mean, he was on Being the Elite in full view last month as part of the segment. This dude is close to the chest with the AEW VPs.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #5502
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
That's what I thought at the time. Mox looked pretty messed up a fair time after that first move. Funny that both Fenix and Cole jumping off that ramp caused injuries. Cole's was far less exciting...
Yeah, Cole has had horrible injury luck the last year or so.

Obviously they should have stopped the match as soon as Mox was concussed, and I think that's on everyone involved (including Mox). TK is rightfully taking criticism for it, too. It's just sloppy and unnecessary in 2023.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #5503
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kurt Angle got concussed in that triple threat match with Triple H and Rock and worked the whole match.

That guy took a beating as well now that I think about it.

Does he have some type of disease his arms look weird compared to the rest of his body now.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #5504
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Kurt Angle got concussed in that triple threat match with Triple H and Rock and worked the whole match.

That guy took a beating as well now that I think about it.

Does he have some type of disease his arms look weird compared to the rest of his body now.
He has muscle degeneration. He was on Rogan this week and explained why his arms were shrinking.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #5505
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
He has muscle degeneration. He was on Rogan this week and explained why his arms were shrinking.
Damn that sucks.

He was one of the best during the attitude era as well, its true its true.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #5506
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, Cole has had horrible injury luck the last year or so.

Obviously they should have stopped the match as soon as Mox was concussed, and I think that's on everyone involved (including Mox). TK is rightfully taking criticism for it, too. It's just sloppy and unnecessary in 2023.
There's times where you can't tell...this isn't one of those times.

It seemed clearly out of it for way too much of that match and he should have just went hardcore Mox and got DQ'd or something. Or send out a Cesaro pissed off he lost his belt or something.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #5507
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
There's times where you can't tell...this isn't one of those times.

It seemed clearly out of it for way too much of that match and he should have just went hardcore Mox and got DQ'd or something. Or send out a Cesaro pissed off he lost his belt or something.
Quick roll-up or inside cradle would have done the trick, too.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:55 PM   #5508
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember watching that Miz documentary where he got knocked out in a match and finished with a concussion and was backstage asking people what happened in his match because he couldn't remember.

Or Mankind asking Undertaker if he'd used the thumbtacks in hell in a cell.

The fact that wrestling companies are still to this day not stopping matches after severe head blows is shocking.

When Alexa Bliss got concussed by Rhonda for the second time, you could see it.

There was video of a match in AEW not that long ago, where a guy was knocked out and not kayfabe knocked out and the match continued with the workers working around the wrestler.

Or when Liv Morgan took a kick to the face from Brie Bella and you could see that she was messed up, and they dragged her to the corner and then rolled her out of the ring.

When are these companies large and small going to reconcile that this isn't cool allowing a clearly dazed worker to keep going. It pisses me off to no end because of my own history of concussions in sport, that have left me somewhat messed up.

The wrecklessness is what stops me from watching AEW at times, and certainly WWE even though it seems to happen less there.

There was a quote by Paul E a bunch of years back in a rare moment of retrospective thought where he said that the more the workers do that's dangerous the more the fans will want because at the end of the day, the fans don't care if a wrestler hurts or kills himself in the ring. But Paul E was the architect of letting wrestlers go way beyond their abilities and capabilities in the ring for a buck.

When a wrestler is dropped on his head, or is clearly dazed or out of it, stop the f'ng match and check on him properly. When a wrestler says, hey on this Friday night TV show I want to put someone through 5 flaming tables made out of glass using a reverse dragon pile driver because the fans will pop tell him hell F'n no. If a wrestler says, I want to try and do a pile driver that I've never done before, hell no, and if you go rogue and do it don't bother coming to the back.

Part of the fix is again strong agents, strong rules from the top. Part of it is how you train the refs. Part of it is how your working partner in the ring is trained, and how the individual wrestler is trained.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #5509
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Matt Riddle released and good riddance. The guy is a serious headcase, and even though I know that AEW can't help themselves and will grab him. He comes across as an individual that you would want nowhere near your company.

From the way he treats woman, to his drug use, to his insane accusation of sexual assault at the airport in New York. It feels like the WWE got tired of his BS.

I never found him to be all that entertaining except for his time with Orton, who made that partnership far better then it could have been.

Old 09-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #5510
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Quick roll-up or inside cradle would have done the trick, too.

That's supposed to be the go to.

I still remember Steve Austin pulling off the worst roll up in history after Owen spiked him into the ring.

Or do what Jericho did to the referee when he had a hurt opponent. Try to get the match ended on a DQ.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #5511
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's a good point, why do they not treat these kind of injuries properly. Realistically they should have spotters in attendance like they have in the NFL. If someone does sustain an injury or major cut the wrestler should be pulled, and the match should likely be stopped. The same happens in nearly every professional sport. Why is pro wrestling treated any differently? If we're supposed to believe that the sport is "real" then why not treat it that way?

I gotta echo Captain's sentiments with Riddle... I thought in NXT he had some great work, particularly his work (cage match) with Thatcher. However once he was called up Riddle never transitioned properly to the main roster. He was given a million chances, and his incidents behind the scenes were the final straw (apparently he "struck" Gunther as well). His tag team work with Orton is the only thing that ever worked... I didn't mind the feud with Rollins either, but again this was just another time when he couldn't take advantage of the opportunity. I wonder if the door would be open for a return down the road if he was to get his act together?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:41 PM   #5512
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
(apparently he "struck" gunther as well).
https://twitter.com/user/status/1705071339231453608
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #5513
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Matt Riddle released and good riddance. The guy is a serious headcase, and even though I know that AEW can't help themselves and will grab him. He comes across as an individual that you would want nowhere near your company.

From the way he treats woman, to his drug use, to his insane accusation of sexual assault at the airport in New York. It feels like the WWE got tired of his BS.

I never found him to be all that entertaining except for his time with Orton, who made that partnership far better then it could have been.
I don't think AEW will go after Matt Riddle, tbh.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:22 PM   #5514
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I doubt AEW brings him in too. Highly unlikely. If anything it's going to be Ziggler and possibly Ali for a couple one-offs.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:17 PM   #5515
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone planning on going to Royal Rumble in January?

I've thought about it as I've never been to one and haven't been anywhere south of Seattle since 89 but Tampa and St. Petersburg seem like a big pain in the ass to get around if you don't drive. It looks like going everywhere by bus takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours and Ubers would be like $40+ for one way. And that's not counting the surge pricing that they would do after the Rumble and RAW a couple days later.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:21 AM   #5516
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping this means some kind of on-demand deal in Canada. A big reason I haven't been watching as much AEW the last two years is that Fite TV went super nuts with their geo-blocking, to the point where I can't even get around it with a VPN.

Also hoping that the booking improves a bit if they move to a monthly PPV format. A big criticism I have of AEW is that they drag a lot of their feuds out way too long so that they can finish them at their quarterly PPVs.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2023/9...ry-serena-deeb

Quote:
Andrew Zarian said on Wrestling Observer Radio that AEW has struck a deal to make MAX its digital home in 2024.
EDIT: There are also a bunch of rumours out there that TK has bought NJPW. If so, I hope he keeps Gedo in charge of booking over there.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:32 AM   #5517
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

AEW on Crave would be awesome. Literally the only reason why I keep TSN around.

I encourage all of you to check out Crave's wrestling content, including Dark Side of the Ring, Tales from the Territories, and some of the wrestling biography documentaries (particularly Andre the Giant).

Also, Paramount+ has all three seasons of that really good WWE biography series. The Undertaker one is a particularly good one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 08:35 AM   #5518
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Also, where are these rumors of TK buying NJPW? I don't see any mention of it on the main Reddit channels.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:37 AM   #5519
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, where are these rumors of TK buying NJPW? I don't see any mention of it on the main Reddit channels.
https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/20...japan-purchase
Old 09-27-2023, 08:55 AM   #5520
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
AEW on Crave would be awesome. Literally the only reason why I keep TSN around.

I encourage all of you to check out Crave's wrestling content, including Dark Side of the Ring, Tales from the Territories, and some of the wrestling biography documentaries (particularly Andre the Giant).

Also, Paramount+ has all three seasons of that really good WWE biography series. The Undertaker one is a particularly good one.

Sadly Heels was cancelled this week after its second season. Its too bad it was a really good show and ended with a nasty cliff hanger.