Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #5461
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Replying to Noopers - can't quote him for some reason.
I think you read my post wrong, or perhaps didn't quite understand the phrase "appears to be the real deal" and then qualified with "Elliott" and "Jim Carey".

To be clear, I have neither one of these goalies ranked ahead of the other. I do not state that one is the right answer, and the other is the wrong. In fact, I thought I was quite clear - NEITHER one of them seem like the right answer, though I can and do see the argument for each as being a decent argument in favour of acquiring them.

I, myself, feel that both of these goalies bring HUGE question marks, and I have zero confidence that either of these two are definitively the answer for Calgary. Add to that the perceived acquisition cost of either of them, and it does worry me considerably that Calgary is going to spend more assets on stop-gaps that won't really improve the team - just like Elliott, and just like Smith. I won't argue with anyone that these goalies are indeed worth the price - but at this junction, all I see with goalies right now are question marks.
Yeah my bad, I should work on my reading comprehension.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #5462
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel very strongly that any trade for a goalie will also have a dman coming back, and from that perspective it's probably better to be getting a dman from the yotes than the pens.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #5463
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never trade with the Penguins because they only trade their junk
Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #5464
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So, when OEL gets here does Monahan go back to his junior number (20) so OEL can have 23?
Old 09-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #5465
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I see Florida has hired infamous former Minnesota GM Paul Fenton to assist their new guy, Bill Zito.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #5466
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
To CGY:
McCann
Bjugstad
Murray

To Pitt:
Kylington Ritter 2021 3rd.

Ya? Nah?
Flames don’t have the cap for that kind of trade s the only issue I see
Old 09-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #5467
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like Jacob Markstrom is going to be a UFA. Another excellent goalie target.

https://twitter.com/irfgaffar/status...834235904?s=20
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #5468
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I see Florida has hired infamous former Minnesota GM Paul Fenton to assist their new guy, Bill Zito.
Fenton didn't get a long enough rope. And, more importantly, he is the best AGM in the game.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #5469
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames don’t have the cap for that kind of trade s the only issue I see
Assuming Murray gets his ask 5m over 6 years, and McCann gets say 3m on a deal. That's leave 8.9m in cap for the Flames to get another back up, a cheap d man and sign RFAs. Which is totally doable.

That also assume there's no hall and we keep Gaudreau. Conversely, with McCann coming in, they can move a Ryan to make room.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #5470
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Assuming Murray gets his ask 5m over 6 years, and McCann gets say 3m on a deal. That's leave 8.9m in cap for the Flames to get another back up, a cheap d man and sign RFAs. Which is totally doable.

That also assume there's no hall and we keep Gaudreau. Conversely, with McCann coming in, they can move a Ryan to make room.
2 top 4 D and Mangipane for 8.9M (agree Ryan could be moved to push that to $12M.

If they could make that work it is a nice deal for the Flames. I think Murray is one of the better goalies on the market and McCann is a solid player.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #5471
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Seems like Jacob Markstrom is going to be a UFA. Another excellent goalie target.

I would be all for Markstrom in Calgary.

Clearing out some combination of Gaudreau+Monahan+Giordano for mostly futures/cap space and signing Hall+Markstrom would be a nice retool especially if the Flames can get assets like a top 10 pick and prospect like Cozens etc.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #5472
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

After all the patience they have showed for Virtanen it's funny that he will likely walk for nothing.

I know his defensive game is lacking but he still has all the tools to be a great middle six forward who can help a second power play unit.

Dube-Bennett-Virtanen could be a good third line if he chose to come here.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #5473
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brad Treliving would be familiar with Jacob Markström from his days as General Manager of the San Antonio Rampage. I could see a connection there just like with Michael Stone and Mike Smith. (+ Kyle Turris & Max Domi)

Some other names from Brad's past include,

Keith Yandle
Mikkel Boedker
Connor Murphy
Christian Dvorak
Ryan MacInnis
Connor Clifton
Brendan Perlini
Jordan Martinook
Dave King
Old 09-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #5474
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's look at the goalies available over the last two seasons and their play at 5v5 (generally the best indicator of success for a goalie vs including PK) and where they rank in the league for that stat:

Kuemper

Sv Pct: .928 (9TH)

HDSV%: .843 (11th)
MDSV%: .913 (29th)
LDSV% : .978 (10th)

GSAA/60: 0.38 (5TH)
xGA/60: 2.29 (30th)

Murray

Sv Pct: .922 (18TH)

HDSV%: .838 (15th)
MDSV%: .906 (35th)
LDSV% : .978 (10th)

GSAA/60: 0.05 (25TH)
xGA/60: 2.31 (27TH)

Markstrom

Sv Pct: .922 (18TH)

HDSV%: .837 (18th)
MDSV%: .917 (22nd)
LDSV% : .971 (28th)

GSAA/60: 0.14 (17TH)
xGA/60: 2.49 (9TH)

Lehner

Sv Pct: .931 (4TH)

HDSV%: .834 (20th)
MDSV%: .937 (2nd)
LDSV% : .981 (4th)

GSAA/60: 0.37 (6TH)
xGA/60: 2.42 (14TH)

So some interesting things here.

If you look at the more granular save percentage numbers Murray and Kuemper actually have very similar underlying numbers. The biggest difference happens to actually be in the mix of shots their team gives up.

Lehner is just lights out on Medium / Low danger shots. Guy doesn't seem to give up bad goals.

Markstrom appears to be a guy who's steady across the board and based on xGA/60 he faced the toughest competition of this group.

And just for fun here's Rittich

Sv Pct: .918 (28TH)

HDSV%: .842 (13th)
MDSV%: .909 (31st)
LDSV% : .963 (42nd)

GSAA/60: 0.02 (28TH)
xGA/60: 2.32 (25TH)

Interestingly enough he actually has the best high danger save percentage of any of these goalies. His problem has been letting in shots from outside the high danger area but that could be corrected I think.

For example here is Darcy Kuemper at close to the same age when he was in Minnesota the two years before getting moved.

Sv Pct: .911

HDSV%: .835
MDSV%: .890
LDSV% : .958

Looks to me like Kuemper before moving to LA/Arizona looks a lot like Rittich looks now. Good HDSV% but struggled from the outside. It's why I don't want to write him off quite yet because if he can correct that (mental/focus based IMO) he has the physical tool kit to be great.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #5475
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
After all the patience they have showed for Virtanen it's funny that he will likely walk for nothing.

I know his defensive game is lacking but he still has all the tools to be a great middle six forward who can help a second power play unit.

Dube-Bennett-Virtanen could be a good third line if he chose to come here.
He lacks hockey smarts and it seemed an annual thing for him to arrive at training camp out of shape. At least Rasmus Andersson only needed to be told once for the light bulb to turn on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #5476
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Friedman also notes that he wouldn’t be shocked if the head coach is announced by the end of this week or next week
Haha. Friedman also said two weeks ago on HNIC that he wouldn't be shocked if the Flames made a head coaching announcement in the next few days.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #5477
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Fenton didn't get a long enough rope. And, more importantly, he is the best AGM in the game.
I really don't agree with the first part of his post. Fenton's tenure in Minnesota was rife with huge mistakes. His only defensible moves were trading for Fiala and Brad Hunt. But he also made some enormous blunders. And he was also reportedly a bit of a jerk to his employees.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #5478
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Friedman also thought the Chewbacca ending image of the Brent Burns progress meme was an appropriate way to “work from home” and appear on TV.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #5479
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I really don't agree with the first part of his post. Fenton's tenure in Minnesota was rife with huge mistakes. His only defensible moves were trading for Fiala and Brad Hunt. But he also made some enormous blunders. And he was also reportedly a bit of a jerk to his employees.
Not only that he supposedly took holidays during key parts of the season and there was internal turmoil within the office when he hired his own son to run the amateur scouting department. The guy sounded like a total disaster as a GM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #5480
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Interesting as he also seems to indicate they won't be qualifying Virtanen.

I would take a stab at virtanen.
Closed Thread