Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #5401
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah. It was surprisingly easy. The tensile strength of your skin becomes apparent quickly. You certainly need to be paying attention, which I like about it. Gives me a few minutes to focus on something. I haven’t got bored of it yet and I’m going on 10 years with the same blade.
It's not hard when you're dialed in and focused, but honestly speaking, who is dialed in an focused in the mornings, pre-coffee?

I've used both disposable and regular straight razors. Regular is better IMO because with a straight razor, I realized that I don't want any possible flex at all.

Double edged safety razor is the better path for my groggy mornings. A serious congrats to those who stuck with using a straight razor full time. I couldn't do it and fear of carving whiskers into my face to start my mornings because kids running around wasn't something I liked. I alternate between that and electric depending on whether I am traveling or hungover level groggy.

The disposable straight razor turned out to be perfect for scraping #### off of an induction top, so it wasn't a total waste of $15.

https://www.amazon.ca/Derby-Factory-...%2C139&sr=8-31

I got something like this to test out once upon a time. Not the exact same one, but similar concept.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:36 PM   #5402
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Here's a question: what is it that's enjoyable about the process of shaving with a straight / safety razor? Do you just feel bad ass, or what's the deal? This is one of those things where it's never been clear to me and I always wonder what I'm missing out on - obviously my barber shaves me with a straight razor and that doesn't make me want to do it myself so it's a mystery to me.
Inexplicable sense of accomplishment. Way better shave than cartridge hands down (smoother feeling after shave, 5 o clock shadow comes several hours later, less irritation etc.) and then the weird feeling of smugness from realizing you're doing so for far less than disposable over a longer duration.

But that doesn't keep me from using an electric razor when I am feeling lazy. I would never shave my face with my eyes closed as I do with an electric razor.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #5403
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
SET [SwearFilter].status= disabled

Stupid feces eating mother####ing squirrel ####er this morning comes up behind me(cycling) as I come to a stop sign, I leave room on the right and stop in the centre of the lane, going straight through. He pulls up to the right(I assume he's turning, becuase that's what the space is for), and we wait for traffic to clear. I go, and this piece of #### steps on it, cutting around me and in front, becuase he couldn't wait 10 goddamn seconds for me to clear the intersection and move over a bit. But ya, it's the cyclists who are a problem.

I hope one day he gets stuck behind a charity ride for 3 hours, missing his daughter's flute recital and causing her to give up and resent her dad forever, shattering their relationship so he dies lonely and rejected.
um, you alright?

dick move, but somehow the punishment doesn't exactly fit the crime lol

sounds like there might be a thing or two going on at your end you might want to work through/address. because that's just every day Calgary stuff, if we're being honest here
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #5404
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a question: what is it that's enjoyable about the process of shaving with a straight / safety razor? Do you just feel bad ass, or what's the deal? This is one of those things where it's never been clear to me and I always wonder what I'm missing out on - obviously my barber shaves me with a straight razor and that doesn't make me want to do it myself so it's a mystery to me.
For me the appeal is just to have the barber-shop feel.

Now that I'm bald to the point of never needing to go to the barber again, I haven't had a good shave in years. I guess with my beard growing out I'll probably pop in to have them shape it in another month or so, but I miss that baby's bottom feel once in a while.

I'm not attracted to the ritual of it or anything. Just wouldn't mind getting the closest shave possible. I am a Mach 3 fan, though, which gives quite a good shave IMO. I could never use an electric razor and I don't like scruff/two-day shadow that some guys are into. It's clean shaven, beard, or bust.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #5405
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
um, you alright?

dick move, but somehow the punishment doesn't exactly fit the crime lol

sounds like there might be a thing or two going on at your end you might want to work through/address. because that's just every day Calgary stuff, if we're being honest here
It's not like I wished a slow tortuous death on him. Dude was an impatient prick putting me in danger, and I'm the one who has issues? I didn't even do anything, just came up with a nice fantasy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:37 PM   #5406
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cost is a huge one for me. Safety razor blades are so cheap and last for a long time.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:43 PM   #5407
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s fun at first, feels super classy, but then the rigamarole of the task sets in, and desire to just get it done takes over. Like cooking a steak with a sous-vide or driving a manual. Yes, they’re better in some ways but the extra effort isn’t necessarily worth it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 03:53 PM   #5408
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What was the learning curve like on using a straight razor? Did you just watch some YouTube videos?
I've been using a straight-razor for nearly a decade now as well and I love it. There is no closer shave than that, however, as a fair-haired individual I only have to really shave about twice a week.

It is great though, as was mentioned its not that hard, you do have to be careful because...well...its a razor.

I strop it after every use and I get it honed by Kent of Inglewood every 6 months or so.

And the actual razor itself is a bit of a work of art, I didnt cheap out when I bought it so I really like it, I even bought a Japanese Kamisori as a backup razor for when my primary razor is out getting honed.

Anyways, I like it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 03:57 PM   #5409
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Cost is a huge one for me. Safety razor blades are so cheap and last for a long time.
100 blades is like $15-20 bucks and you might use like 1-2 blades a month before wanting a new blade and typically closer to 1 a month.

That's $15-20 cents a blade x 1-2 per month and assuming 2 blades a month and occasionally less, 100 is around a 4.5 year supply of blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s fun at first, feels super classy, but then the rigamarole of the task sets in, and desire to just get it done takes over. Like cooking a steak with a sous-vide or driving a manual. Yes, they’re better in some ways but the extra effort isn’t necessarily worth it.
The fun and accomplishment starts to fade, certainly. But the fact remains just like the sous vide in that the end result is still significantly superior for barely any extra work. You'd stick with it for sure.

I don't think I've ever met someone who went from disposable to double edge safety back to disposable. Straight razor to disposable/electric, or double edge safety back to electric, sure. But never have I heard safety back to disposable. The cost savings alone keeps you there (especially if you have the ability to adjust the razor head).
Old 01-16-2023, 04:19 PM   #5410
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just feels like to me that the disposable razor industry is like intentionally broken and the purpose is to make product that doesn't win.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:30 PM   #5411
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It just feels like to me that the disposable razor industry is like intentionally broken and the purpose is to make product that doesn't win.
ah disposable blades..

8 blades or 3, there's always some straggler stumps after the forest is cleared, and the razor is rendered useless after one pass
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #5412
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been shaving with an old school, safe razor for years and the experience and the cost savings can't be beat.

The quality of the shave is much better, there should be a lot less if any irritation and the cost savings are very significant. I don't think some people really realize how significant overall compared to a Mach 3,4,5 5000 or whatever we are at now.

For those gent's who suffer from irritation, usually it's a result of taking too much skin off when shaving. We don't need 5 blades to remove some soft whiskers, we need 1. We are shaving hair off our face, not clear cutting redwood trees.

When it comes to cost savings, I won't go on a full on rant here but given that a lot of people are struggling with day to day expenses as a result of this inflationary environment, it's very important for us to have a look at our consumer staple products we all purchase daily. Ironically, the Gillette Razor and Blade business model, which pioneered over 100 years ago is the foundation for a huge amount of items we purchase. It's literally designed to extract or "slice" off more and more of our hard earned dollars for what sometimes is, essentially the same product. Innovation they call it but in reality it's costing more.

This goes to everything from electric toothbrushes, Swiffer dusters and mops, one cup coffee makers and more. It costs more, even if it's a small amount, it adds up to literally hundreds of millions in revenue more for companies like Proctor and Gamble and others.

The savings from making minor adjustments if any at all, literally add up every single time, every single day for what in essence is the rest of our lives. It's not peanuts.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:16 PM   #5413
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

WRGMG is some cigarette smokers who just toss their butts wherever the hell they feel like it. I just saw a woman sitting on her mobility scooter directly beside (no exaggeration) a trash can just throw her butt into the parking lot beside her.

Why do people like her think that this is ok? I'm not joking when I say that she would have only had to extend her arm to a 90 degree angle in order to put it out and throw it in the bin beside her. Nope just gonna throw this gross thing over here now it's someone else's problem.

Sure it's one cig butt but they all add up and it's disgusting. No one gives a #### anymore...
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 07:20 PM   #5414
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I have been shaving with an old school, safe razor for years and the experience and the cost savings can't be beat.

The quality of the shave is much better, there should be a lot less if any irritation and the cost savings are very significant. I don't think some people really realize how significant overall compared to a Mach 3,4,5 5000 or whatever we are at now.

For those gent's who suffer from irritation, usually it's a result of taking too much skin off when shaving. We don't need 5 blades to remove some soft whiskers, we need 1. We are shaving hair off our face, not clear cutting redwood trees.

When it comes to cost savings, I won't go on a full on rant here but given that a lot of people are struggling with day to day expenses as a result of this inflationary environment, it's very important for us to have a look at our consumer staple products we all purchase daily. Ironically, the Gillette Razor and Blade business model, which pioneered over 100 years ago is the foundation for a huge amount of items we purchase. It's literally designed to extract or "slice" off more and more of our hard earned dollars for what sometimes is, essentially the same product. Innovation they call it but in reality it's costing more.

This goes to everything from electric toothbrushes, Swiffer dusters and mops, one cup coffee makers and more. It costs more, even if it's a small amount, it adds up to literally hundreds of millions in revenue more for companies like Proctor and Gamble and others.

The savings from making minor adjustments if any at all, literally add up every single time, every single day for what in essence is the rest of our lives. It's not peanuts.
Well you lost me at the electric toothbrushes. They’re undoubtedly better and it’s not even close. Do they cost more? Yeah. But it’s much more thorough and you can absolutely tell the difference.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 07:27 PM   #5415
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I have a smoking related grinder.

I bought a “unopened” bag of insulation off Kijiji last week. I loaded into my vehicle and went to Home Depot to grab some other items.

When I got back to my car it stunk to high hell of cigarette smoke. The unopened bag had a few small holes in it, common occurrence on a construction site. Well those small holes allowed the foul smoke smell infiltrate the whole bag. Yuck. I can’t even imagine what the home smells like where I bought the bag from. Smoking is gross.

Good thing this insulation is going in my garage.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 08:02 PM   #5416
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well you lost me at the electric toothbrushes. They’re undoubtedly better and it’s not even close. Do they cost more? Yeah. But it’s much more thorough and you can absolutely tell the difference.
And if your rechargeable car key goes flat, you can put it on an electric toothbrush charger and the inductive charger will recharge the key fob battery.

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 08:07 PM   #5417
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
You'll have to pry my Sonicare out of my cold dead amazingly clean teeth
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 08:13 PM   #5418
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

For sure, not arguing some items in life aren't worth spending your money on or that quality doesn't change/ improve with some "innovation" We are all selectively cheap or spend our money in different priorities.

When it comes to household spending and what I was referring to, I don't know if a lot of people really do the numbers or understand how significant the costs or the savings can be.

Buying quality so we can reduce the amount of waste and how often we need to buy items can reduce our overall expenses significantly. Doing very basic research, learning very basic tasks or just not buying into corporate BS can do wonders for our finances.

There are significant savings to be had for all of us in very very basic ways that really wouldn't have any actual affect on our lives.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:42 PM   #5419
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

I cant say that I switched from disposables to a straight razor for the cost savings, although I guess that is a bit of a bonus, I did it because of the irritation of disposable razors among other things.

I will agree with you that the "lets just keep adding blades and jacking the price' mantra was aggravating.

It became expensive which wasnt so terrible, but it was expensive for a poor and usually painful result and that was something I couldnt abide. I had to find a better alternative.

So I figured if I was going to do that, I was going to go all the way to straight-razor.

The quality of the razor itself and the quality of the shave just cant be beat. That razor is going to last longer than me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:51 PM   #5420
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
No way, man. Even the most gutless POS becomes way more fun to drive with a stick shift.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post: