Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #521
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Agreed. Her presence alone was reason to turn in, though she also did a great job hosting.
Definitely! Her personality and skills adds to her sex appeal. She's not just a pretty face.

Last edited by J Diddy; 11-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #522
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

"What does my girl say" may be a little late to the party but it was still solid. I've been singing it all day.

"Who that who that who that bitch"
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #523
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
SNL has really struggled so far this year, but there were some good skits. I loved the opening making fun of themselves for anticipatorily requiring Kerry Washington to play all black female characters. I also liked 'What Does My Girl Say?'. Week-end Update with Shaq was funny too.

Agreed. Her presence alone was reason to turn in, though she also did a great job hosting.
That was the most Jay Pharoah has been used in one show.

My 12 year old was howling at Shaq.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #524
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That was the most Jay Pharoah has been used in one show.

My 12 year old was howling at Shaq.
Are you calling me immature? ('cause you'd be right!)

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #525
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Are you calling me immature? ('cause you'd be right!)
I liked it too. Kennan's Barkley is pretty good, but he got overshadowed by Shaq.

"I like potatoes".
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #526
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that one was the best this year, and it was mostly the hot Kerry Washington, and the 2 black guys for the most part. The dude doing Shaq, and Shannon Sharpe, does hilarious impressions.

Eminem was bad, I think I liked Arcade Fire best so far this year.

Is that guy that is one the bank commercials or whatever sitting around talking to little kids on this cast?

and WTF? did I see that right? Miley Cyrus on Nov. 9, I think once, twice, three plus cameos? was enough.

Last edited by DuffMan; 11-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #527
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I think that one was the best this year, and it was mostly the hot Kerry Washington, and the 2 black guys for the most part. The dude doing Shaq, and Shannon Sharpe, does hilarious impressions.

Eminem was bad, I think I liked Arcade Fire best so far this year.

Is that guy that is one the bank commercials or whatever sitting around talking to little kids on this cast?

and WTF? did I see that right? Miley Cyrus on Nov. 9, I think once, twice, three plus cameos? was enough.

Miley Cyrus one is a re-run
and the guy with the kids sitting at the table is a AT & T commercial if thats the one you are talking about
Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #528
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post

Repeats...
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #529
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does my girl say was the standout moment of the show.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #530
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I thought HuffPo stopped doing SNL scorecard after last year?

'SNL' Scorecard: Kerry Washington Helps 'SNL' Make A Point, But Will It Matter?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...=Entertainment

Whelp, it's official ... this is officially one of the most troublesome seasons of "SNL" in recent history, even though it has nothing to do with the quality of the show. (Not that the quality has been great, but it's been OK considering all of the cast changes.) Lorne Michaels and "SNL" have no one to blame but themselves, but the issue of the lack of diversity in the cast -- specifically the lack of an African American woman in the cast -- isn't going away. This season will be forever tarnished, which is a shame for numerous reasons.

Kerry Washington was superb as host, even if the material wasn't always the best (and I kind of feel bad for Washington that she's been dragged into this whole mess, but she seems OK with it all.)

Sketch of the Night "Ice Cream" (Kyle Mooney, Beck Bennett, Vanessa Bayer, Taran Killam, Kenan Thompson, Nasim Pedrad, Kate McKinnon) This was by far the most original concept that's been on "SNL" this season. Honestly, extend this out another 87 minutes and you've got yourself a Sundance Film Festival hit.

· Edward Norton 5.91
· Bruce Willis 5.68
· Kerry Washington 5.60
· Tina Fey 5.35
· Miley Cyrus 5.20
Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #531
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...medy&ir=Comedy

Lady Gaga will host "Saturday Night Live" on Saturday, Nov. 16. The "Applause" singer will also served as musical guest. This is the first time Gaga will host the show and third time appearing as musical guest.

"Hunger Games" star Josh Hutcherson makes his hosting debut on Saturday, November 23. HAIM will serve as musical guest with Hutcherson.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #532
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Saying eminem sucks is quite a stretch. He is widely regarded as one of the best rappers of all time....

I agree he sucked last night though and I dont like that song but he is still the greatest artist of this generation in terms of the whole package.
LOL, wow, no.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #533
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really liked the How's He Doing skit too. Loved Keenan's whole rant about white people's mail being all pre-approved credit cards and pottery barn catalogues lol.

They really need to find a good black female cast member, because it really seemed to energize Keenan and Jay, rightly or wrongly lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #534
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I liked the episode too, one of the better ones for sure, and Kerry played her roles perfectly. Funny, energetic, smart and sexy.

I'm at a loss on how Huff thinks the Edward Norton episode was the best. Don't get me wrong, Edward is one of my favorite actors and I was excited to see him on for the first time. It's just that I don't think the show, or even he, was that funny.

He's definitely a method type actor, and while he can be funny in the right roles, I think it takes him a lot more than a week (or a few hours per skit role) to get into it and make it work. I think that was part of what we were seeing.

More impressions may have helped, if they had had a skit where he coulda played someone else famous it may have been real funny, instead of just a few of the top of the monologue. Like the way Bruno Mars did all those different artists for the radio skit last year. That was hilarious.

I also think the writing let him down on most of the skits.

And how was the sketch of the night 'Ice Cream'? WTF Huff? The first few parts were funny, but it fell into that ultra-repetitive trap very quickly.

Also a little over the top on the 'travesty' (my word) of not having a black female cast member. I agree that they should get one, and that there may even be a little shame in the fact that they don't have one, but that the 'season is tarnished'? Yikes. Find something important to get worked up about.

Who knows, maybe they have tried and haven't had any good try-outs.

Last edited by Daradon; 11-06-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #535
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaga was good.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #536
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Lady Gaga did the best she could with fairly weak set-ups.

I really enjoyed the bad cover version CD, that was great. I loved Taran Killam's 19th century speech reviewer. That had me cracking up, particularly when he said he has reviewed "all the speeches".

Gaga's final ski as an obscure senior citizen was funny but, to me, rather strange. Something very cynical at play there about her position in contemporary culture, particularly in relation to Empress Beyonce. Kind of neat to see SNL trying something different or dark with that one.

Again, all in all a pretty bland episode. Their Rob Ford skit was pretty weak. It is telling of the quality of the writers that that is the best they can come up with a week's preparation, when Jon Stewart and the Daily Show can do something way funnier with just one night.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #537
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Taran's speech reviewer was the highlight. We will see that character again. Next!

Gaga's final skit was more of an art piece, than a comedy sketch. She got stung a couple of times during the show for how Born This Way is more than a little bit similar to Express Yourself. Her new songs are not nearly as catchy as her break-out hits.

SNL missed on the Rob Ford story - they should have taken the "all I can eat at home" statement to ridiculous extremes.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #538
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mind the Rob ford thing, but the stereo type Canadian accents were unnecessary.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #539
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I didn't mind the Rob ford thing, but the stereo type Canadian accents were unnecessary.
What are you talkin' aboot?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #540
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rob Ford sketch was almost as funny as when your favorite childhood pet dies.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote