Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2023, 09:40 PM   #521
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kawhi was almost a fluke the ball rolled in what felt like 10 hours.

This is down 0-3 to force game 7 and a unbelievable play to keep hope alive.

I'd say it's close and this is probably better.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 09:42 PM   #522
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

Sure, but this was only possible because the original shot came off the basketball perfectly for White's angle. Bounces in even a slightly different direction and Miami is going to the finals.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:45 PM   #523
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya please go try getting a fade away 3 over someone 7ft1 onto the rim off a double team. The shot is historic, no one remembers this if they lose game 7.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:45 PM   #524
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Of course it was a great play, it is still no where close in difficulty and won’t be remembered if they do not close it out. No one boxed him out and fell perfectly to him. Great hustle play but not close in my opinion. Fantastic game, i do not care who wins. Both getting beat by Denver
Not sure I agree it's no where close in difficulty. Even uncontested it's pretty remarkable to get that shot off in time on a rebound from a play where there was 3 seconds left on the clock at the time of the inbound and you get the rebound around 0.5 seconds left.

Saying it fell "perfectly to him" is like saying Kahwi just made a "contested jump shot"

And as far as the moment...I'd argue down 1 with 0.5 seconds left while being down 3-2 in the series in game 6 of the conference finals, while trying to comeback from down 3-0 is actually a bigger moment than tied in the game, while being in a series tied 3-3 in game 7 of the conference semi-finals.

Kawhi doesn't get the bounce and it goes to OT. That play tonight doesn't happen and the Heat are off to the finals.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-27-2023 at 09:48 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #525
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya please go try getting a fade away 3 over someone 7ft1 onto the rim off a double team. The shot is historic, no one remembers this if they lose game 7.
Sure.

But it's like saying nobody remembers Kahwi's shot if they don't win the next two series after that.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:48 PM   #526
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Sure.

But it's like saying nobody remembers Kahwi's shot if they don't win the next two series after that.
It’s probably not as memorable in the grand scheme of things. That’s how it works in sports.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:52 PM   #527
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure I agree it's no where close in difficulty. Even uncontested it's pretty remarkable to get that shot off in time on a rebound from a play where there was 3 seconds left on the clock at the time of the inbound and you get the rebound around 0.5 seconds left.

Saying it fell "perfectly to him" is like saying Kahwi just made a "contested jump shot"

And as far as the moment...I'd argue down 1 with 0.5 seconds left while being down 3-2 in the series in game 6 of the conference finals, while trying to comeback from down 3-0 is actually a bigger moment than tied in the game, while being in a series tied 3-3 in game 7 of the conference semi-finals.

Kawhi doesn't get the bounce and it goes to OT. That play tonight doesn't happen and the Heat are off to the finals.
I’m not saying it was not a great play, it is just no where near the same difficulty. The dexterity and lift/backspin Kawhi needed to pull that off makes it in a league of its own. I’ll leave it at that.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:52 PM   #528
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw a tweet that this is only the second buzzer beater in NBA history to stave off elimination, while the team was also trailing in the game. (Jordan in 89 vs the Cavs).

6th buzzer beater in any type of elimination game (Kawhi was the last before this), but 4 of those games were tied at the time of the shot.

Remarkable.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-27-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:56 PM   #529
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not saying it was not a great play, it is just no where near the same difficulty. The dexterity and lift/backspin Kawhi needed to pull that off makes it in a league of its own. I’ll leave it at that.
I guess. Kawhi also gets the ball with 4.2 seconds left and put himself into that spot and got to the spot he wanted.

Amazing to adjust to get the shot off over the 7 foot Embiid who comes on the double (Simmonds kind of leaves him for Embiid and doesn't attempt to contest the shot), but that's the spot Kawhi wanted.

And let's be honest both have a huge degree of luck involved, Kawhi with the bounces to go in and White with how the rebound comes off to him perfectly.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:58 PM   #530
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess. Kawhi also gets the ball with 4.2 seconds left and put himself into that spot and got to the spot he wanted.

Amazing to adjust to get the shot off over the 7 foot Embiid who comes on the double (Simmonds kind of leaves him for Embiid and doesn't attempt to contest the shot), but that's the spot Kawhi wanted.

And let's be honest both have a huge degree of luck involved, Kawhi with the bounces to go in and White with how the rebound comes off to him perfectly.
Ya both had great degrees of luck to them. I’m not taking anything away from White, it’s a fantastic hustle play.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:26 PM   #531
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nuggets want no part of a team that completes a first of its kind comeback.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #532
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either team getting just two days off and then starting a series in Denver... Whoever wins this series is going to be absolutely gassed, never mind the emotions of a series like this. Like if you're Boston, how do you turn around from accomplishing something that's never been accomplished before in NBA history, and get locked in on guarding the most unguardable team and player in the league?
Old 05-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #533
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Boston wins they won't have the size advantage likes they do against Miami shooting over tiny guards.

Plus Jokic is a different animal and Murray is playing at a elite level.

I'm rooting for Denver they don't get the respect and plus it would be awesome to see another Canadian win a ring.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #534
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Either team getting just two days off and then starting a series in Denver... Whoever wins this series is going to be absolutely gassed, never mind the emotions of a series like this. Like if you're Boston, how do you turn around from accomplishing something that's never been accomplished before in NBA history, and get locked in on guarding the most unguardable team and player in the league?
The series starts in Boston if the Celtics win as they have the better record.

The Kings and Red Sox both came back from down 3-0 and went on to win everything.

There will be a massive difference in betting odds depending on whether it's the Celts or Heat against the Nuggets.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:20 AM   #535
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, my bad, you're right about starting in Boston. That does change it a lot.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:43 AM   #536
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it does in terms of the series Boston has been a poor home court team the last 2 years in the playoffs.

Neither of these teams play with any offensive confidence. Miami is just so ugly to watch trying to create and Boston's stars look dead at crucial times.

Butler is a great competitor but when he is your go to guy especially on offence I just don't see them winning especially watching Tatum abuse him in the first half easily.

If it's Miami I think Denver sweeps them rather easily. Boston will push it to 6 at best.

Jokic should be a 3x MVP and the pieces around him have finally blossomed plus the size with Gordon and Porter make a huge difference.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #537
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it does in terms of the series Boston has been a poor home court team the last 2 years in the playoffs.

Neither of these teams play with any offensive confidence. Miami is just so ugly to watch trying to create and Boston's stars look dead at crucial times.

Butler is a great competitor but when he is your go to guy especially on offence I just don't see them winning especially watching Tatum abuse him in the first half easily.

If it's Miami I think Denver sweeps them rather easily. Boston will push it to 6 at best.

Jokic should be a 3x MVP and the pieces around him have finally blossomed plus the size with Gordon and Porter make a huge difference.
If we are going to look at last two years, well the Nuggies won one game in 2022.

Celtics are a very good team IMO and would be a very hard out for a Denver team that has never won anything.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #538
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If we are going to look at last two years, well the Nuggies won one game in 2022.

Celtics are a very good team IMO and would be a very hard out for a Denver team that has never won anything.
They had a crippled Porter and missing Murray really not a fair comparison and got beat out by the Warriors a top offensive team.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:54 PM   #539
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Nurse to the Sixers
Old 05-29-2023, 03:42 PM   #540
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1605350644075925505

Jokes aside I hate that he went to Philly, that's a good hire. I don't wanna hate him. I think he will do really well there.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote