Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #521
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a problem with ensemble shows where the writers need to give all the characters something to do. This Keeley story reminds me of the Jim/Pam dramas in the later Office seasons and GoT’s meandering Daenerys story while waiting for the other plots to catch up.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:41 PM   #522
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Seems like a problem with ensemble shows where the writers need to give all the characters something to do. This Keeley story reminds me of the Jim/Pam dramas in the later Office seasons and GoT’s meandering Daenerys story while waiting for the other plots to catch up.
Even more so, the extras are now given lines to say which slows down an entire scene. I'm thinking of that scene where the footballers are all discussing various photos they may have to delete. Only slightly enjoyable, and mostly tedious.

Still, I enjoy this show a great deal more than many others, so they really have to do something awful to alienate me. Lots of drama in this one, probably setting up for some big moments down the road. I'm fine with that, so long as it pays off.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:39 PM   #523
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I didn't mind this episode, to be honest. It wasn't nearly as funny as the couple before it, but I like Keely's character and I like the fact that she refused to apologise for what happened to her. I will say it seemed a bit out of character for Jack to try to force that upon her and then react the way she did... she seemed a little more open minded to me.

The bit with Roy asking who it was for was interesting too. Seeing the disgust in himself even while he was asking it, completely unable to stop himself, and instantly apologising and trying to take it back. I mean, it was kind of a weird question to ask, especially given how their relationship ended, but the pain (or maybe just cringiness?) on Keely's face as she ignores it and gets in her car...

I don't know, I think a huge draw for this show as a whole is its willingness to tackle everything with normal-seeming actions and reactions. Even if most of them are slanted towards "how would a good person act/react well to this" there are still occasions of "how would a good person act/react poorly to this" and the same for not-so-good people. As someone who really suffers from social anxiety, being able to see topics through all these different lenses is incredibly helpful.

Man, do I really like who Jamie has become though.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #524
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

ya Jamie really has become Dick to Darling. I think through the seasons, he's been humbled and trained back down to a somewhat regular guy.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:45 PM   #525
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it would never happen but I think an interesting ending to the series would be Ted commiting suicide
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:44 AM   #526
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty weak episode imo. Maybe there's some payoffs in the next few but it didn't feel like it moved the plot forward or did enough character building for that type of episode.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #527
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess they're all just going to end up back where they started basically, just a bit happier? Rebecca single and running the Greyhounds, Jamie and Keeley together, Ted and Beard back in Kansas, Nate and Roy awkwardly interacting on the Richmond pitch... weird.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:12 AM   #528
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of seems like a little spark returning between Ted and is ex?

They're definitely setting things up for Nate to return to the good side.

I could see Ted going back home in the end, and Nate taking over FC Richmond when he leaves.

It'll definitely be interesting (to me anyways) to see where Keelee lands. Now that Jamie isn't a dooshbag anymore, it makes sense for them to end up together, although Roy is a great fit as well obviously. Seems like the lesbian fling may have just ended.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:31 AM   #529
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Kind of seems like a little spark returning between Ted and is ex?

They're definitely setting things up for Nate to return to the good side.

I could see Ted going back home in the end, and Nate taking over FC Richmond when he leaves.

It'll definitely be interesting (to me anyways) to see where Keelee lands. Now that Jamie isn't a dooshbag anymore, it makes sense for them to end up together, although Roy is a great fit as well obviously. Seems like the lesbian fling may have just ended.
Yeah, at the end my wife and I both said, "That does not look like a couple that just got engaged." I suspect that he proposed and she said no
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:06 AM   #530
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I know it would never happen but I think an interesting ending to the series would be Ted commiting suicide
This season did seem to trending to having a bit of a dark moment for Ted...but then the end of this episode kind of pulled him away from that.

I didn't think he would actually commit suicide but I also had a feeling they were maybe going down a path of maybe an attempt.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #531
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I didn't mind this episode, to be honest. It wasn't nearly as funny as the couple before it, but I like Keely's character and I like the fact that she refused to apologise for what happened to her. I will say it seemed a bit out of character for Jack to try to force that upon her and then react the way she did... she seemed a little more open minded to me.

The bit with Roy asking who it was for was interesting too. Seeing the disgust in himself even while he was asking it, completely unable to stop himself, and instantly apologising and trying to take it back. I mean, it was kind of a weird question to ask, especially given how their relationship ended, but the pain (or maybe just cringiness?) on Keely's face as she ignores it and gets in her car...

I don't know, I think a huge draw for this show as a whole is its willingness to tackle everything with normal-seeming actions and reactions. Even if most of them are slanted towards "how would a good person act/react well to this" there are still occasions of "how would a good person act/react poorly to this" and the same for not-so-good people. As someone who really suffers from social anxiety, being able to see topics through all these different lenses is incredibly helpful.

Man, do I really like who Jamie has become though.
I'm on board with this. Also, every episode can't be a banger. Sometimes we need these momentum-building episodes that kinda suck.

I love how bad Roy screwed up there. As a writer on the show, I can imagine the draw towards making Roy super awesome all the time would be strong. But he's still very human and that was a very human moment from a character that is suppressing a lot of emotion and jealousy. This show seems to get "flawed human" better than most.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #532
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

This season is confusing me, I just don't really understand where it's leading to.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #533
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, all I could think of watching Ted watch his ex on the street below was "It's the hope that kills you." Hopefully not literally, but he's definitely not at a point of acceptance of what he can't control. I think there's an ending to Ted and Rebecca's plot line that's being set up... it's hugely significant that they showed him carrying the green matchbook in his pocket still. He's tied into the fortune-teller's prediction in some way. I don't see it as being a romantic ending between them, but something that establishes each other as incredibly important people in one-another's lives.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #534
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ted and Rebecca would be junk food of writing. Would feel good in the moment but as time goes on would seem wrong
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:28 PM   #535
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think that the Team Bus needs to drive over the couples therapist dude.

Sorry man, that is unethical as all hell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #536
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
This season is confusing me, I just don't really understand where it's leading to.
Ted will come out of his trough.

Nate will finish off returning to good Nate, and reconcile with Ted, probably leading up to rejoining Richmond next season. Rupert will be pissed.

Richmond will avoid relegation, or some other secondary type of on-field win. Jamie will be the hero, closing the loop on the Zava arc.

The gay dude will find acceptance.

All that said, man that episode was dog ####. There are no redeeming characters in the Keeley/Jack universe, and their too cut-off from the entertaining parts of the show.

The Amsterdam one was a lot more fun by comparison.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:17 AM   #537
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you told me back in season 1 that Jamie would end up being the most emotionally mature character in the show I would have called you a muppet, but damn it works. He might be one of the best character arcs in any show
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #538
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A better episode with the plot actually following the football team. Colin’s story was a bit predictable but with a good message of acceptance and a nice conclusion.

An 8 game EPL winning streak is pretty rare. Can Richmond actually win the league?
Old 05-10-2023, 10:13 PM   #539
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that was fairly paint-by-numbers at this point but it was still a solid feel-good story which is this show's sweet spot. And all the Roy stuff was great - particularly getting shredded by Rebecca and the presser at the end.

I just don't know how they get another season out of this, it's clear they've set it up such that Ted isn't needed anymore.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:57 PM   #540
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I thought that episode was decent at first, but on reflection, excellent

Spoiler!

Also got a kick out of how Roy addressed the journalists in the presser
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: