Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2022, 08:00 PM   #521
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I don't think anyone thinks of this as Dr. Strange 2 but MCU episode 28. If it wasn't for all the cameos and crossovers I think it would make about the same as the first. The previous MCU films without crossovers and multiverse angles did good at the box office but not fantastic.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #522
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That’s fair but it’s still Doctor Strange 2. That episode 28 of MCU, featuring a secondary character, has the potential of out performing all the DCU movies is crazy.

Batman is the golden goose for Warner but they couldn’t make him work with the rest of their characters.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #523
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately we will never know what a solo Batflek movie would have done at the box office but I imagine WB is ecstatic with how the new one preformed at the box office.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:20 PM   #524
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They should be. It’s really good. Comparable to Dark Knight for me. Captured all the aspects of Batman I enjoy. My 13 year old son is a Batman/Arkham games fanatic and loves the movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #525
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think with Dr Strange 2s expected total, it's hard to separate out the characters fanfare built up from the 4-5 movies he has been in, vs the MCU episode 28 fanfare, vs the brand reputation and good will the MCU has built up by destroying its competitors with quality, vs the marketing campaign. If as expected it's one of the top openings of all time, than its almost certainly a combination of all 4. Its not something that can just be replicated by making 1 good movie with 1 popular character.

And also might have something to do with the fact that we should expect Thor 4 trailer with minor DrS2 spoilers the weekend of release. Meaning it could have a massive opening with a fairly big drop.

Last edited by #-3; 04-10-2022 at 12:33 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:08 PM   #526
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Honestly I don't think anyone thinks of this as Dr. Strange 2 but MCU episode 28.
You're literally the only person who thinks that.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:58 PM   #527
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Honestly I don't think anyone thinks of this as Dr. Strange 2 but MCU episode 28. If it wasn't for all the cameos and crossovers I think it would make about the same as the first. The previous MCU films without crossovers and multiverse angles did good at the box office but not fantastic.
I think people see this as the next phase kickoff as it will establish the multiverse and it’s rules into the MCU. So I agree that it gets a huge boost that Shang-Chi, Eternals and black widow did not.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #528
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Dr. Strange is also far from a side character at this point. With RDJ and Evans gone, he's one of the larger, if the not the largest character in the MCU. He definitely has the most crossover value, as he's the only one that can unite what happened in spiderman, wandavision, infinity war, etc... He's filling the role that RDJ previously was.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:05 PM   #529
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
You're literally the only person who thinks that.
I don't think so at all. Most people going to see this film will be doing so to see the wider implications on the MCU and don't see it as some kind of stand alone Dr. Strange film.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #530
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Doesn't hurt that Strange played a big part in the #6 grossing movie of all time that just came out. A lot of people saw Spider-man and saw the trailer at the end of the credits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #531
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't think so at all. Most people going to see this film will be doing so to see the wider implications on the MCU and don't see it as some kind of stand alone Dr. Strange film.
Sure but Nadal is trying to paint that as a bad thing. If whatever DC tried to do work he'd be praising it.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #532
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. There is a reason why this Spiderman film made more than the previous two combined. Having the other two Spiderman in it boosted it's box office, much like having all the crossovers will help Dr. Strange. And next year I'm sure having Keaton and Affleck return as Batman in Flash will help it's box office.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #533
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No one cares about Affleck returning as Batman though. Ezra Miller doing their best to ruin that box office however.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:57 AM   #534
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

The first Dr. Strange film was unwatchable, so I assume the sequel will also suck large. The bar just keeps getting set lower and lower, we are in danger of this decade being the nadir of film.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2022, 04:40 PM   #535
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Thankfully, Michael Bay isn't making Transformers movies anymore, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:48 PM   #536
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know why there are no showtimes, other than this Thursday, for The Bad Guys? It's supposed to be released this week. Is it just too early to see showtimes for next weekend?
Old 04-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #537
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Does anyone know why there are no showtimes, other than this Thursday, for The Bad Guys? It's supposed to be released this week. Is it just too early to see showtimes for next weekend?
Pretty sure they update the schedule on Mon or Tue.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #538
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where to post this but it appears Netflix is really struggling right now. Loosing lots of subscribers, are the best days of Netflix over?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1516876964782649344
Old 04-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #539
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I cancelled my Netflix account last month after being a subscriber for over 3 years. Too much crap original content, garbage series and any decent movie that popped up I've already seen months ago. Not worth it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #540
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Netflix has me with stranger things, Cobra Kai, etc...but the overall quality has decreased pretty dramatically. Very few new movies, of any quality. With so much competition now, they really need to up their game.'

I did enjoy Squid Game, Save the Last Dance, and the Chappelle content as recent examples of their programming that was good, but that's a bit too far and few between.