Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #521
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
You can go with others to the gym and win. It helps to do it in groups then each person has to defeat a smaller poll of defenders.

If you hold a gym you get pokecoins (only way to get them without paying) and stardust. 10 coins and 500 stardust per day per defender.
You don't have to hold it, you just have to win it and put a Pokémon in it to get your daily coin and dust. But you have to wait 20 hours(or hold it) to get coin again.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #522
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got an 833 Lapis and lunch downtown today.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #523
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've spent the last few days going around catching Pokemon and trying to level up so I can grab some good, powerful ones. There are a few gyms within walking distance of my house.

I reached level 19 and I think once I get to 20 (one more lucky egg) I'll focus more on defending gyms and finding power Pokemon. Unfortunately I'm team yellow and most of the people around me seem to be red or blue.

My best at the moment are:

Snorlax - 1782
Hypno - 1054
Clefable - 1023
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #524
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One other trick that I haven't seen anywhere is to always use your infinity incubator on 2k/5k eggs and save your limited run incubator for 10k/5k eggs. Because the limited run incubators are egg based and not distanced based you can get 30k worth of hatching from an incubator doing 10k eggs or only 6k worth of hatching doing 2k eggs.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #525
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Unless you're planning to be serious about this, my advice is to just play it however you want. It's way more fun when you're not scanning map websites to confirm a spawn, checking gyms to see if you're keeping up with everyone else, and just do things at whatever pace you want. If you try to keep up with top players, you're likely going to be disheartened and uninstall the game quickly.

I'll let the dozen other players nearby duke it out over the gym near my place and just enjoy the walks around to pokestops while evolving and upgrading my favorite Pokemon. Is that CP 250 Aerodactyl gonna look stupid in a week when I'm a higher level? Maybe, but I like it so I upgraded it. I was pretty hyped when I happened upon it, and that's the fun part for me.

The highest Pokemon I have right now is a CP 410 Hypno forged from the million Drowzees I see around my house and my workplace. I guess they're good for something!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #526
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This may or may not be something. Went up to my buddy's 19th floor office at lunch. We both have 6s phones and, upon loading up pogo, we noticed the player icon to walk a bit this way, turn, walk some some more, turn, etc. Don't know if it's the 6s itself or the GPS getting sketchy at elevation (which I know happens from riding mtb). Either way, we loaded the incubators, left the phones on the desk and went for lunch. After lunch, we logged 2.2km over 65 minutes. Could this be a thing?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #527
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
This may or may not be something. Went up to my buddy's 19th floor office at lunch. We both have 6s phones and, upon loading up pogo, we noticed the player icon to walk a bit this way, turn, walk some some more, turn, etc. Don't know if it's the 6s itself or the GPS getting sketchy at elevation (which I know happens from riding mtb). Either way, we loaded the incubators, left the phones on the desk and went for lunch. After lunch, we logged 2.2km over 65 minutes. Could this be a thing?
Business opportunity, create a small cage for the phone that partially messes with the GPS signals just enough to create this effect!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #528
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lol. Too bad my kid is only 5. Otherwise, I'd incorporate her and have her walk people's phones in 2, 5, 10km increments.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #529
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

At five couldn't you just make a vest with a dozen pockets on it and just let her wear it all day? My kid at 5 must have covered dozens of km a day.

And I am now starting to agree with people saying that the game's going to lose lots of people that don't live/work near a dense area. I was somewhere where there was lots of stuff going on the past week, could get dozens of pokeballs in a few minutes, but now I'm back in Chestermere and there's like 1 Pokestop within map-sight of me, and I work from home.

I was going to maybe try the emulator GPS thing, but that's probably bannable.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #530
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
CP is directly impacted by your trainer level.

Don't spend any dust upgrading until you are much higher level.

You'll find pretty quickly as you level up that the dust you spent is wasted as you find higher level guys almost immediately.

Save the dust for the ones that you want to max out and have in your top 6. Otherwise, don't bother boosting them.

Make sure to save pidgeys, caterpies, weedles, etc. and evolve about 20+ of them while you have a lucky egg active. Will boost your xp gain substantially.
Just hit level 9 and got a lucky egg. Got about 12 evolves I can do from all the pidgeys, drowsees, rats, etc candy I've collected. To clarify, just evolve them when the egg is used but don't power them up first because it wastes dust?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #531
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Just hit level 9 and got a lucky egg. Got about 12 evolves I can do from all the pidgeys, drowsees, rats, etc candy I've collected. To clarify, just evolve them when the egg is used but don't power them up first because it wastes dust?
This is correct. If you are just using them for exp is evolve them then tranfwr to the doctor.

You get 1000 exp per evolve. Plus if you can get new species you get another 1000. I think 20 is a good number. I think you get another egg at 12
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #532
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hit my first gym up. Is it really just a screen tap smash fest to build up to a secondary attack? What am I missing here?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #533
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a science to it.

The computer attacks every 1.5 seconds, and the screen goes yellow. When it does, swipe left or right quickly to dodge. In between the attacks, tap the computer a couple times, rinse, repeat.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #534
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Unless you're planning to be serious about this, my advice is to just play it however you want. It's way more fun when you're not scanning map websites to confirm a spawn, checking gyms to see if you're keeping up with everyone else, and just do things at whatever pace you want. If you try to keep up with top players, you're likely going to be disheartened and uninstall the game quickly.

I'll let the dozen other players nearby duke it out over the gym near my place and just enjoy the walks around to pokestops while evolving and upgrading my favorite Pokemon. Is that CP 250 Aerodactyl gonna look stupid in a week when I'm a higher level? Maybe, but I like it so I upgraded it. I was pretty hyped when I happened upon it, and that's the fun part for me.

The highest Pokemon I have right now is a CP 410 Hypno forged from the million Drowzees I see around my house and my workplace. I guess they're good for something!
Thank you
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #535
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove to research park at 10:30 tonight, and there had to be 200+ people wandering through the park playing.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #536
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just caught a clefable that spawned outside my house second epic to spawn in as many days which is funny because i live in the middle of no where
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #537
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Managed to pick up a squirtle and charmeleon within 50 feet of my house today. Neither very high CP, but finally a charmander after not seeing any all week.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 AM   #538
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
And I am now starting to agree with people saying that the game's going to lose lots of people that don't live/work near a dense area. I was somewhere where there was lots of stuff going on the past week, could get dozens of pokeballs in a few minutes, but now I'm back in Chestermere and there's like 1 Pokestop within map-sight of me, and I work from home.
Yep. I live out by a couple of schools in the NE, so I have 5 pokestops in a 1.5km "loop" near my place...and that's it for my entire section of the NE. I see pokestop 'maps' of places like Eau Claire and Downtown, and there are 5 stops within an inch of each other. Those Downtowners don't know how good they have it. ;P
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #539
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #540
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Question for the fellow Poke-bro's:
What does helping to defend a gym do?

I dropped off a guy at a gym (CP 250 or so) and he was returned to me within minutes with minimal HP remaining, and that was it. I know now that it is because someone else beat us up and took the gym.

What is the benefit? Or did I drop off too weak of a guy? I think the other guys defending were double or triple my CP.

Am I doing it wrong?

As soon as you drop a guy off, go to the shop and click the shield in the top right. You'll get 10 pokecoins a day.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote