Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #521
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I don’t see it happening either, but understand the efforts. And selfishly would love to watch some hockey.

Got me thinking today though, what would be worse for the NHL financially: To just cancel and wait this out, or to start back up and then be forced to cancel due to a rise in cases (or if the league gets inundated with cases)?
Oh easily the latter would be worse. That's why I will say restarting and finishing this season is nothing but ridiculously stupid and irresponsible.

Just scrap this season. Don't start back up until a vaccine or proper treatment is actually in place.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #522
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This scenario of empty arena hockey is something new (especially at this scale), so naturally two sides have formed:

Optimists: Happy to have hockey back

Pessimists: Writing empty arenas off as worthless because fans are what drive the sport
There is another bigger issue at hand. This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
The much, much bigger problem IMO is the presence of a virus that is still not really under control.

In terms of legitimacy, no home ice is one thing. The bigger issue is player(s) testing positive, which over the course of 2+ months of reg season/playoffs is very likely. In fact one of the UFC fighters was pulled this weekend, which is one thing when those guys train individually, but in a team sport can potentially lead to many more quarantines and infections. It is in the White House. We are talking about a very contagious virus that’s just hard to ‘keep out,’ no matter what measures taken.
This is why resuming play this year is a deadly stupid idea and a wholly irresponsible thing to do.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #523
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
With the AHL now cancelling, I am now on the fence whether this season will get completed. I know that the money lost is the driving force, but I just can't see the players adhering to a full lockdown in one spot. You know that guys will be sneaking out of whatever quarantine they are in.
I have a feeling that running games with no fans would cost the AHL money, since I doubt they have great TV deals or anything.

I have to admit the UFC event was great this weekend and it would be awesome to see some hockey. I'm sure it's safer than going to Costco but also much less necessary I suppose. I must say, I am possibly selfishly leaning towards moving forward with the NHL and seeing what happens.

Last edited by Geeoff; 05-11-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #524
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
There is another bigger issue at hand. This.

This is why resuming play this year is a deadly stupid idea and a wholly irresponsible thing to do.
Only if, and its a huge/massive/colossal if, they cannot keep all those needed to play games, quarantined from the public.

The logistics of that effort is what ultimately sinks the idea IMO.

Say you have 4 teams at a hotel. So all those players, coaches, equipment staff and management all need to have zero contact outside those working at the rink and those at the hotel.

Which would mean that all those who work at the hotel and at the arenas in question, would also have to quarantine at the same hotels for safety and containment reasons. You cant have chefs and chambermaids and front desk and arena and hotel maintenance and zamboni personnel all going home every night. Many of those would use mass transit as an example or have a home with others that have been out in public via jobs or whatever. Same with arena workers and officials, bus drivers and all the rest of it.

And you have to do this to varying degrees for at least 2 months without anyone straying away from protocol. How many hotel/arena workers are going to agree to be away from home for 2 months?

Again, I get they want to show they can do this and the financial side implores them to try, but the reality is just way way overwhelming to be able to do so safely and for any length of time.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #525
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The mass quarantine thing makes no sense, it would have to be like what NASA does with astronauts and in that case we are talking about a maximum of 7 people.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #526
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
The mass quarantine thing makes no sense, it would have to be like what NASA does with astronauts and in that case we are talking about a maximum of 7 people.
Exactly, but it is the ONLY way they can possibly protect everyone involved to the highest degree available. Anything less and an outbreak occurs and god forbid someone dies because of it, and the resulting implications could sink the league.

Again...the logistics are beyond comprehension which means they are very likely beyond possible.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #527
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Just saw this timely article from Lebrun today...

Quote:
Before even playing games, the league and NHLPA will soon have to decide when to end self-quarantine and move into Phase 2, which is when players can skate at team facilities in small groups. It’s a situation that both sides are monitoring daily because advancing to the next phase is a delicate decision. When is it safe enough in all 31 markets for Phase 2 to commence?

“It’s difficult because there’s so much uncertainty around different things and there’s lots of moving parts with different governments and things like that,” van Riemsdyk said. “Our primary focus is on everyone’s health and safety. We’re trying to balance all these things. But that comes first. Then you manage different things like competitive advantage potentially, and the integrity of how special it is to win a championship and try to juggle all these sorts of things and ultimately come out with a decision that solves some of these issues as best we can.’’

“You’re never going to make everyone happy no matter what you decide,’’ he said. “So, ultimately, we’re all going into these decisions with the best intentions, trying to make it work the best way possible. Again, we’re not going to sacrifice safety, that goes without saying. But as far as the other issues, we’re trying to figure out a way that makes sense and make sure players aren’t putting themselves at an extreme injury risk and then ultimately that competitive spirit as far as just the integrity of what we’re trying to do.’’

While van Riemsdyk wouldn’t go into specifics, other sources around the league suggest what appears to be some momentum for a 24-team format rather than bring all 31 teams back for regular-season games. Although I’ve had a few team executives also suggest the 20-team format makes sense, too (one suggests 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 on each side to get to the 16-team playoff).

“We’re trying to talk through different sorts of scenarios and different ends of the spectrum to see what makes the most sense. But again, as we’ve seen over the last days, weeks and months, things can change pretty quickly and there’s new information to act on. We’ll take what comes to us and try to make the best decisions we can given all those things.’’

As fellow committee member Tavares told me two weeks ago, there’s concern among players with the idea of living in a bubble hub city for three months without seeing their loved ones. That’s an issue that’s been clearly stated to the league and according to sources, a concern that Bettman mentioned on the Board of Governors call last Monday.

“That’s definitely been something that’s been discussed as far as trying to figure out a way to make everyone happy in that sense,’’ van Riemsdyk said. “Obviously, they’re not necessarily asking us to go four months without seeing our families. So yeah, we’re trying to work out ways that we can make that work for guys. That’s certainly an item that we’re going over.’’
They arent even able to get to a point that teams can skate with each other.

That's the kind of thing they are facing.

https://theathletic.com/1806162/2020...urce=twittered
Old 05-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #528
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If you had told me that the NHL would continue in mid may, I would have been okay with that. But at this point, I think it’s best to write this season off entirely, start training camp early, pre season extension maybe? I’m not sure at this point. But I have no interest in a fan less season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #529
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Only if, and its a huge/massive/colossal if, they cannot keep all those needed to play games, quarantined from the public.

The logistics of that effort is what ultimately sinks the idea IMO.

Say you have 4 teams at a hotel. So all those players, coaches, equipment staff and management all need to have zero contact outside those working at the rink and those at the hotel.

Which would mean that all those who work at the hotel and at the arenas in question, would also have to quarantine at the same hotels for safety and containment reasons. You cant have chefs and chambermaids and front desk and arena and hotel maintenance and zamboni personnel all going home every night. Many of those would use mass transit as an example or have a home with others that have been out in public via jobs or whatever. Same with arena workers and officials, bus drivers and all the rest of it.

And you have to do this to varying degrees for at least 2 months without anyone straying away from protocol. How many hotel/arena workers are going to agree to be away from home for 2 months?

Again, I get they want to show they can do this and the financial side implores them to try, but the reality is just way way overwhelming to be able to do so safely and for any length of time.
While this is all true, why does it seem like baseball is confident that they can reopen the season in 28 different cities?

I don't know the answer to this but it intrigues me.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #530
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
If you had told me that the NHL would continue in mid may, I would have been okay with that. But at this point, I think it’s best to write this season off entirely, start training camp early, pre season extension maybe? I’m not sure at this point. But I have no interest in a fan less season.

Unlikely much has changed by then either.

I think that's why they are so horny to get this season finished. They know that "no fans" is going to be a reality for a long time...something they cannot afford to do for very long and particularly during the regular season. Add on that no TV revenue and next season is in more danger of not happening than finishing this one. As weird as that sounds, its legitimate.

Finishing this season at least gets them the playoff TV revenue.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #531
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It makes more sense to start next season later to see what the NFL is going to do here. Plus that at least takes you closer to a timeline which has a vaccine or treatment in it (maybe).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #532
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

if and when the NHL starts games again (happens in June, or the season gets cancelled in my opinion), I think it's safe to assume fan-less arena's, even for at least the start of the 2020/2021 season.

I would bet the leagues look at how they can convert the arena/glass space seen thru a TV broadcast to marketing/ad real estate. Might help offset the loss of fan revenue.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #533
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid question maybe, but area there smaller arenas in Canada and the US that have NHL ice (size and quality), that are not in major centers that they can use?

I know Saskatoon was floated before, but what other CHL cities?
Old 05-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #534
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
if and when the NHL starts games again (happens in June, or the season gets cancelled in my opinion), I think it's safe to assume fan-less arena's, even for at least the start of the 2020/2021 season.

I would bet the leagues look at how they can convert the arena/glass space seen thru a TV broadcast to marketing/ad real estate. Might help offset the loss of fan revenue.
And when fans do come back, I don't think it will be all at once. Like we'll get games with 500 fans or something before a full arena
Old 05-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #535
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Unlikely much has changed by then either.

I think that's why they are so horny to get this season finished. They know that "no fans" is going to be a reality for a long time...something they cannot afford to do for very long and particularly during the regular season. Add on that no TV revenue and next season is in more danger of not happening than finishing this one. As weird as that sounds, its legitimate.

Finishing this season at least gets them the playoff TV revenue.

True enough. But, with that said, doesn’t the nhl have enough of a safety? I mean, they could just wait till August. That way they will have more of an understanding of the rate of antibodies vs current infections in the public, throughout Canada and the US.

At this point, I still would watch it, but it might not be what’s best for the league.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #536
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
While this is all true, why does it seem like baseball is confident that they can reopen the season in 28 different cities?

I don't know the answer to this but it intrigues me.
The US will relax conditions of restarting far more than Canada is one factor im guessing.

That brings in yet another hurdle...crossing the border. So I am sure that the Jays would be allowed to cross and hunker down somewhere..i know others have speculated Buffalo or Dunedin, so that situation is resolved easily.

But getting some teams into Canada or some Canadians into the USA is a whole other thing. Particularly the Euros. I mean, they should already ALL be back in NA to get through the mandatory 14 day quarantine......are they?

Swedes in particular as that country has more or less been business as usual since this thing started. Does anyone want to start unloading plane loads of people into their country when that one did very very little to stop the spread?

Just SO many things to work around.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #537
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
True enough. But, with that said, doesn’t the nhl have enough of a safety? I mean, they could just wait till August. That way they will have more of an understanding of the rate of antibodies vs current infections in the public, throughout Canada and the US.

At this point, I still would watch it, but it might not be what’s best for the league.

It wont be up to the NHL though.

Each jurisdiction will decide how many can gather where and when.

As of right now...the Flames are not allowed to gather at the dome until at least Sept. 1 as one example.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #538
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Stupid question maybe, but area there smaller arenas in Canada and the US that have NHL ice (size and quality), that are not in major centers that they can use?

No, they wouldn't have the supporting infrastructure needed, such as enough high-end hotel rooms, practice rinks, on-site dressing rooms, etc.

Ideally, all of those things would be in relatively close proximity to the arena to minimize the amount of travel within each city.

Even Winnipeg doesn't have enough hotel rooms of minimum quality to be one of the "hub" cities.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #539
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Saskatoon floated themselves and it was as laughable then as it is now.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #540
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I would rather them play in a smaller venue, without fans, than a large venue with no fans. Awkwardness is real. Maybe disable ice level mic’s too.

Closed Thread