Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #521
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Backlund and Tkachuk are not a pair. Backlund and Frolik are the pair. They play similar games and are very complimentary to each other in their skill sets. If anything, Tkachuk is the square peg playing with those two. Tkachuk is in search of a center that is creative and can distribute the puck better. I’d be more inclined to go with the following:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Hathaway-Ryan-Brouwer
Czarnik

Until Treliving manages to move the immovable, you have to account for those guys in the lineup. Plus, the 4th line does need some size. I don’t think you can get by with three smurfs on a line in the NHL.
Similar thoughts to you, but lindholm produces better as a centre and has out performed janko at every level (including the nhl). He should be our 2nd line centre.

Gaud-Money-Deal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Frolik-backlund-ryan
Lazar-jankowski-czarnik
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #522
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jankowski will be in a battle to make the team.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #523
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
After scoring 17 goals last year? You are right, give him more seasoning in the AHL.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #524
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Berkshire on Neal signing

Flames Did Well Signing Neal

We talked last year about the Flames high scoring chance rates, but wondered if they were too stationary, not enough coming off the pass.

Here are to clips that suggest he may be just what the doctor ordered

Quote:
One area that is of particular interest is Neal’s ability to get scoring chances off the rush, an area that the Flames could take advantage of to a great degree, since only the Chicago Blackhawks completed more passes off the rush than the Flames did last year, so you may see Neal stepping into a whole lot of one-timers off the rush this season while playing his off side.
Quote:
Surprisingly, Neal is also a pretty decent playmaker, at least better than he gets credit for, completing passes to the slot at a top-six forward level, which should help if he slots on that top line with Monahan and Gaudreau like I’m assuming.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #525
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Even if Peters starts off with Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund and Ryan down the middle, there is a spot for Jankowski on this team. Obviously centre is his natural spot and he will likely continue to develop at that position, but at minimum he lands a spot on the wing (over the likes of Lazar, Brouwer, Hathaway, Foo and Mangiapane).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #526
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski played enough games last year that he's no longer waiver exempt. He's not getting put on waivers. He will be a full-time NHLer next season.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #527
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love hearing stuff like this...

https://twitter.com/BoomerAndRhett/s...678011904?s=19
Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #528
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't looked at his numbers but thought Jankowski looked better as the season went on.

And Tre mentioned on the radio that it's much easier to move a centre to the side than vice versa.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #529
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think Peters is a huge face off guy so having left and right shot centers on lines should see a lot of ins and outs in the dot.

If you have Backlund with Lindholm and Ryan with Jankowski they just take the draws on their dominant sides.

Plus lots of teams muck with defensive coverage now too ... winger takes the down low and the center takes his high boards position. More fluid now so you don't really need to label players, especially when you have up to 8 centers in your 12
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #530
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah so this is still awesome today. Still buzzing over the newly retooled roster, as well as potentially three 30 goal scorers on the same line and PP unit.

Let's get the hype train rolling in here again. Too ho hum today.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #531
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah so this is still awesome today. Still buzzing over the newly retooled roster, as well as potentially three 30 goal scorers on the same line and PP unit.

Let's get the hype train rolling in here again. Too ho hum today.
I think people are right to take a wait and see attitude rather than get too worked up and excited at this stage. Your post for example - Neal has scored 30 or more goals exactly twice in his career. He has 8 20+ goal seasons, including five of the past six years, four of which did not exceed 25 goals. If he does 25-25-50 next year, that's a win. But given his last four seasons have been 37, 58, 41, 44 points... wait and see seems appropriate.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #532
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think people are right to take a wait and see attitude rather than get too worked up and excited at this stage. Your post for example - Neal has scored 30 or more goals exactly twice in his career. He has 8 20+ goal seasons, including five of the past six years, four of which did not exceed 25 goals. If he does 25-25-50 next year, that's a win. But given his last four seasons have been 37, 58, 41, 44 points... wait and see seems appropriate.
For an analytics guy you'd think you would actually look at the stats.

In 2011-2012 he scored 40 goals in 80 games. Near full season. 41 goal pace.
In 2012-2013 he scored 21 in 40 games. The 48 game lockout year. 25 goal pace. 43 in a full season.
In 2013-2014 he scored 27 in 57 games. 39 goal pace.
In 2014-2015 he scored 23 in 67 games. 28 goal pace.
In 2015-2016 he scored 31 in 82 games. Full season with a new team and linemates.
In 2016-2017 he scored 23 in 70 games. 27 goal pace.
In 2017-2018 he scored 25 in 71 games. New team and linemates. 29 goal pace.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #533
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If there was a poll taken a month ago with this outcome being one of options, it would be considered outside of landing Tavares amongst the best case scenario for this team.

I say "potentially" because of the gifted playmaking ability of gaudreau who is more than capable of achieving thornton assist totals at his peak, and Monahan finally being healthy without question marks there. But i agree 25-25 is still excellent and helps us, as well as the added potential that Lindholm, Ryan and Czarnik bring to the forward ranks.

Why not get excited as a fan? This is precisely what many were (no exaggeration) clamouring for but didn't think was realistic and they just got precisely that.

As far as off-seasons, if this doesn't provide at least some hope, if not palpable buzz for the coming season, then there probably aren't a lot of things you do enjoy as a fan outside of Stanley cups.

Edit - was also going to mention the scoring pace as the above poster has. He's been at a higher pace most years if prorated over a full season.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #534
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
If Neal lines up with Gaudreau and Monahan I don't see how he does not score 30 goals. Even if he is not with them 5v5 he will score a tonne of goals with them on the powerplay. Conversely, if Lindholm is on that line then I think Gaudreau is a good bet to score 30.

There are several ways for the Flames to get there, but I think chances are quite solid that there will be three 30-goal scorers on this roster next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #535
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If Neal lines up with Gaudreau and Monahan I don't see how he does not score 30 goals. Even if he is not with them 5v5 he will score a tonne of goals with them on the powerplay. Conversely, if Lindholm is on that line then I think Gaudreau is a good bet to score 30.

There are several ways for the Flames to get there, but I think chances are quite solid that there will be three 30-goal scorers on this roster next year.
Neal's goals seem to have depended on his role and linemates. With top guys he's a guy who gets in the 30s. But even in a secondary role he can get you mid 20s. That's a positive to the Flames and a credit to him.

Has he played much RW? That would factor in for me.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #536
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Neal's goals seem to have depended on his role and linemates. With top guys he's a guy who gets in the 30s. But even in a secondary role he can get you mid 20s. That's a positive to the Flames and a credit to him.

That's what he plays, primarily. As a shooter, playing on off-wing is very common.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #537
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He touches on this particular issue in his Player's Tribune article, linked earlier.

Quote:
One thing to notice is that I’m a left-handed shot playing the right wing here. That might seem like a small thing, but it’s actually a huge deal. I started my career as a left winger, so I was always receiving passes with the puck outside my body, away from the net. If you’re a playmaker, you might prefer this. I didn’t know how big of a difference this made until I got traded to Pittsburgh. Dan Bylsma walked in the first day and asked, “Hey, do you think you could play right wing?”

I’m like, “Uh, well I’ve never played it before, so I’m not sure?”

He says, “Okay great, you’re playing right wing.”

Once I got used to it, I really elevated my game, because whenever I shot the puck on my forehand, the release point was closer to the net. I was a threat at all times, especially on one-timers. I ended up scoring 40 goals the next season.
So whenever a guy switches wings, it has a lot of implications for how he plays. (Thanks, Dan. You were one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #538
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Similar thoughts to you, but lindholm produces better as a centre and has out performed janko at every level (including the nhl). He should be our 2nd line centre.

Gaud-Money-Deal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Frolik-backlund-ryan
Lazar-jankowski-czarnik
Props for the "Good Money Deal" line.

On your second line I would move Benny left and Chucky the the RHS as Peters has mentioned he might try Tkachuk there.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #539
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like lots has changed about this team over the weekend here. It sounds like signing Neal was in the works for a while but Treliving somehow managed to keep things quiet. Well done.

Even though it was costly, I'm glad the Flames finally have acquired someone with a big shot. The velocity in which he shoots it might instantly be the best on the team among forwards so that should be a big help on the powerplay. His one shot scoring ability will be very helpful when we're down one or two and need that late game breaking goal that we didn't seem to have last season.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with Treliving's work. Last season we had a lot of players who were punching above their weight, so slotting these players down now into positions where they can better succeed should is probably the best thing about all the moves he has made. The bottom 6 is completely different which was a sore spot all year. Have to say, I'm looking forward to the start of October to see how this all pans out.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #540
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very impressed with Trelving and the management team here. They new exactly what holes they had and went out and fixed it.

I also like what he said yesterday. We want our kids to push, but making this team should not be easy. It's not easy any more, they have to ramp up their game if they want to come in and steal a spot.

Honestly now there's what? Maybe 2 or 3 spots to take on the main FW roster now?

Less than that. 2 maybe 1. and that'd be #4 LW. Everything else is locked in.

The good news is though, we have depth now. we can suffer trough some injuries and stay afloat. We won't be sunk by losing a couple of players at forward.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote