Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 03:21 PM   #5321
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tire weights balance each individual tire only. Every tire needs to be balanced, or it will shake(though some don't need weights if they happen to balance out). It has nothing to do with where on the vehicle or which vehicle they are installed on.

Different sized tires on the front vs back doesn't make a difference, either. It only would on an AWD system, and then you start damaging stuff like diffs, so don't do that.

It's possible this person damaged a rim or something, and perhaps put the summers on so they could drive while getting a replacement, and in that case it would maybe make sense to swap 2 wheels. Or they are poor and could only afford 2.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-12-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 03:21 PM   #5322
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yeah, but ignoring the tire part, didn't you have identical wheels on the front and back, just different tires? Don't they sometimes put weights on the wheel when they do a re-balancing or alignment or whatever?

The tire thing, whatever. I've seen it, no big deal. But I've never seen a combination of round steelies on a car and criss crossed shaped alloys on a car before. This isn't some weird *o*o wheel you be my valentine inside joke, right?
Oh, I see what you're saying. Sorry. I did have identical wheels, yes. I think as long as they're all balanced it wouldn't affect anything if they were different.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 03:21 PM   #5323
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I know the fronts said Blizzaks. I couldn't find the brand on the back tires before it started driving, but I did identify the word "Radial" making me believe it's not same tires front and back.

What happens to a vehicle if you have such a difference in weight for the front vs the back tires? Would it shake after you exceed a certain speed?

I don't recall seeing that. But the driver looked like a middle aged lady, furthering my disbelief.
There's lots of cars out there with different wheel sizes on the front and rear from the factory. As long as each wheel is individually balanced and matching on the same axle, you wouldn't really notice anything.

Even driving with one of those mini-donut spare tires isn't all that noticeable.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 03:23 PM   #5324
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I see. I misunderstood the mechanics of the situation. (Pun not intended).

Carry on.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:46 PM   #5325
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's unsprung weight (not being supported by the suspension), so it won't likely change the handling characteristics of the car too much.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 04:19 PM   #5326
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did you see both sides of the vehicle? If not, maybe it's a full-size spare.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:33 PM   #5327
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
If your spare has been on long enough to be rusty, is it still a spare?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:33 PM   #5328
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I didn't think Jettas have full sized spares? I saw one side when it was stopped at the light, then I got a chance to glimpse the other side side of the car for a moment when the car made a turn. Quite certain it was two star shaped alloys in front and two round steelies in the back.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:46 PM   #5329
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't think Jettas have full sized spares? I saw one side when it was stopped at the light, then I got a chance to glimpse the other side side of the car for a moment when the car made a turn. Quite certain it was two star shaped alloys in front and two round steelies in the back.
My son has a jetta. If I wasn't lazy I'd go check for you, but instead it will remain a mystery.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 10:26 PM   #5330
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooooo, after a wait at one dealership over a year, and now another for a few months, I'm now due to receive a '24 Golf R, in manny, next month. I suppose it kinda works out, that it's the last year for VW manuals, and for me R's. 04, 13, 17, 19, and now 24.

I can't say I'll ever buy a new vehicle off the lot again.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:01 PM   #5331
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

YouTuber Tavarish is rebuilding a flooded McLaren P1. He got Unobtainium Welding, who is local, to do a custom exhaust. He does an amazing job and I wish I had a car worthy of his work.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #5332
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son bought a '91 Honda CRX, got it running, decided that the transmission was noisy and pulled it out to work on. A year and a half ago. In my garage. We've had several goes at trying to get the damn thing back in but no luck.

Is there anyone in the CP community that LOVES working on cars and would like to help us get it back together sometime in the spring?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:43 PM   #5333
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
My son bought a '91 Honda CRX, got it running, decided that the transmission was noisy and pulled it out to work on. A year and a half ago. In my garage. We've had several goes at trying to get the damn thing back in but no luck.

Is there anyone in the CP community that LOVES working on cars and would like to help us get it back together sometime in the spring?
Is it auto or manual?is it the stock motor?
Southside403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:43 PM   #5334
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside403 View Post
Is it auto or manual?is it the stock motor?

Manual, stock engine. Custom intake and exhaust I believe.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 03:48 PM   #5335
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Went searching for info on car prices and while used car prices do seem to be coming down a bit, they still seem pretty high. Found this graph on cargurus.ca:

Is this just the new normal? Or will we eventually see used car prices come down to something like what they used to be?
Old 02-25-2024, 05:49 PM   #5336
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

New car production still needs to catch up to where it was ca. 2017-2018; worldwide production is still less than it was 10 years ago, with more people causing more demand.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:30 AM   #5337
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone recommend me a good transmission shop for the dreaded Nissan CVT?
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:45 PM   #5338
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Went searching for info on car prices and while used car prices do seem to be coming down a bit, they still seem pretty high. Found this graph on cargurus.ca:

Is this just the new normal? Or will we eventually see used car prices come down to something like what they used to be?
I was beating the drum that prices would come down eventually a year ago - clearly I was wrong.

Almost across the board, production is still brutal. Lots of reasons but by and large the industry is still pretty ####ed up and nowhere near the recovery from OEMs we would have hoped for.

No word of a lie, we’re seeing ACVs on our units around 80% of purchase, 7-8 years later. Historically you’d expect 80%rv within the first year. It’s craziness man.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:45 PM   #5339
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My wife's sending me links to CUVs on Autotrader again, but still it seems there's little reason to go used, might as well spend a little more and get something new.

She has a Civic and wants something basically the same size just taller so she can see better. And of course with the features hers doesn't have like Bluetooth music, backup camera/sensors, etc. Been trying to convince her we can just add those things but she works hard and makes good $$ so maybe should just go ahead and get something new.

She likes the Honda HR-V / Hyundai Kona / Mazda CX-30 types.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:03 AM   #5340
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My wife's sending me links to CUVs on Autotrader again, but still it seems there's little reason to go used, might as well spend a little more and get something new.

She has a Civic and wants something basically the same size just taller so she can see better. And of course with the features hers doesn't have like Bluetooth music, backup camera/sensors, etc. Been trying to convince her we can just add those things but she works hard and makes good $$ so maybe should just go ahead and get something new.

She likes the Honda HR-V / Hyundai Kona / Mazda CX-30 types.
In that list I'd go with the CX-30 hands down. Mazda seems to have the best interiors for their class from what I've found, and the base CX-30 has 190hp which is way better than the Honda or Hyundai. Or if you want to spend a bit more you can get the turbo version with 250hp, which is ridiculously fun in a vehicle that size
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: