Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #5301
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am a Treliving fan, but if he gives up a 1st+, as the rumour goes, for Kuemper he deserves to be fired. Getting Hayton or Soderstrom in the deal is the only way I would be ok giving our 1st to Arizona.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #5302
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
What about Keller?
Not at that money figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Funny enough, Schmaltz is the one player Friedman and Marek agreed the Coyotes regret giving a big contract to.
Why? He's their leading scorer and one of their best play drivers. He has one of their few reasonable contracts and yet that's somehow their worst one? Wut?

Old 09-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #5303
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Not at that money figure.

Why? He's their leading scorer and one of their best play drivers. He has one of their few reasonable contracts and yet that's somehow their worst one? Wut?
I like Schmaltz as well, he's fast and plays a good 200ft game. Everyone's offensive numbers have gone down the toilet in Phoenix.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #5304
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do I think the Flames kick the tires on OEL? Yes, they kick the tires on everyone.
Do I think the Flames will acquire OEL? I think it is extremely unlikely they can find a way to fit his contract under the cap.

If the Flames do anything with the Coyotes, I can see something built around Kuemper and Hall's rights.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #5305
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

People get so bent outta shape about rumors

Last edited by dino7c; 09-09-2020 at 07:26 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #5306
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
People get so bent outta shape about rumors
Last off-season had the rumor of the Lucic/Neal swap.

Wasn't a big fan of it and we as Flames fans had every right to be mad about that deal when it went down. Obviously, we've got the better fit on our team and the better part of the deal, but we all originally thought we got screwed over.

That's why I'm leery of ANY rumor involving us.

And, it's such a Treliving thing to do to go after a defenseman that he used to be around and also trading for a goalie. He is failing to realize we need top end scoring more than the supposed "upgrade" we'd get in goal and on defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #5307
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

List of forwards traded for by Brad Treliving:

Lucic
Lindholm
Kerby Rychel
Lazar
Nick Shore
Chiasson
Brett Pollock
Shinkaruk
Freddie Hamilton
Drew Shore
Bollig

Yeesh. Most of those are very minor pieces. Tre really doesn't trade for forwards very much.

In contrast look at all these dmen he's gotten via trades:

Forbort
Gustafsson
Fantenberg
Andrew Nielsen
Rinat Valiev
Matt Taormina
Hanifin
Prout
Ryan Murphy
Hamonic
Mike Kostka
Stone
Jokipakka
Hamilton

It seems every year Tre adds an NHL defenceman and a couple farmhands to the roster. Forwards... ehhhhh. There's not nearly as much there.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #5308
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post

And, it's such a Treliving thing to do to go after a defenseman that he used to be around and also trading for a goalie. He is failing to realize we need top end scoring more than the supposed "upgrade" we'd get in goal and on defense.
The annoying state of affairs is he may feel that our top guys just had off years or were injured, etc.

So it might be an offseason of tweaking to give this group one last shot, and then next trade deadline (if it didn't work), or offseason we're in more of a retool/rebuild mode then.

Not saying I agree with this approach but it could be the one we witness this offseason.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #5309
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, whatever happens, I just hope that it improves the team enough to become a contender. My opinion is still the same - do one thing or the other. Either try to add to this core and give themselves the chance to win the cup, or give up on this core and start another rebuild.

I will say this, however - if the Flames are going to take on OEL's deal, then Arizona better be taking Lucic and his much shorter and cheaper contract in return. OEL's deal scares me. Lucic's deal doesn't, but it does hurt. I like Lucic, and will be sad to see him go, but this is part of this tough and sometimes ruthless business. No way would I be taking on OEL's contract without having Arizona take back a contract that makes it difficult to build a contender with. OEL will be difficult enough, but OEL + Lucic? That's 13.5 million or so in cap hit. Imagine having 2 Gaudreaus and 2 Monahans.

Wasted cap space hurts, and although OEL and Lucic aren't completely useless healthy scratch fodder at this point, they are closer to that than to being their top performing, cap neutral selves. Maybe OEL rebounds, but it doesn't look likely. Treliving will absolutely need to find a way to unload Lucic if this is how he is going to approach this off-season, IMO.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #5310
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Does Lucic waive his no-move for a trade for the second offseason in a row? I can't see it, particularly if it's to a rebuilding Yotes team.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #5311
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
If OEL made like, 5.5M/yr or something like that, it would make the thought of aquiring him at least palatable.
Maybe there's a similar dump going Arizona's way? The Flames take on OEL and his $8.25M salary but then send back Lucic and his $5.25M salary? Flames pick up $3M in salary, but get rid of a real dead weight contract. Makes eating the $8.25M a bit more palatable. A guy can hope.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #5312
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does Lucic waive his no-move for a trade for the second offseason in a row? I can't see it, particularly if it's to a rebuilding Yotes team.
Depends... Is he a big golfer?

I don't really care if he waives it this year, just hope he does next year for the expansion draft so we don't have to protect him
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #5313
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kuemper was available for free. Free. Summer of 2017. The same year we sent draft picks for mike smith.

What are our pro scouts doing? Getting something for free beats giving up assets, especially if an asset has upside and not on a downward trajectory, which smith was at the time of acquisition.

If there is a deal for Kuemper, better be expansion bait headed the other way and not picks and prospects. Organization continues to get it wrong on goalies, and may be treliving’s downfall
Old 09-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #5314
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Kuemper was available for free. Free. Summer of 2017. The same year we sent draft picks for mike smith.

What are our pro scouts doing? Getting something for free beats giving up assets, especially if an asset has upside and not on a downward trajectory, which smith was at the time of acquisition.

If there is a deal for Kuemper, better be expansion bait headed the other way and not picks and prospects. Organization continues to get it wrong on goalies, and may be treliving’s downfall
While true, a bunch of other teams didn't grab him either, nor try to trade for him for AHL pieces a year later. It sucks but it doesn't mean you don't pay to get him now if it makes sense.

Guaranteed there will be a dozen guys regretfully walked away from, traded, and of course signed to too large a contract this offseason, by all teams across the league. Same as every year.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #5315
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Organization continues to get it wrong on goalies, and may be treliving’s downfall
Treliving has to get two things right this off season or he's toast in my mind. He needs to hit the coaching selection out of the park, and he needs to find a goaltender that carry the load. If either of these doesn't shake out, he shouldn't see Groundhog Day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #5316
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Treliving has to get two things right this off season or he's toast in my mind. He needs to hit the coaching selection out of the park, and he needs to find a goaltender that carry the load. If either of these doesn't shake out, he shouldn't see Groundhog Day.
Get ready for Ward and Talbot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #5317
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Get ready for Ward and Talbot
I for one expect Mike Yeo and Jimmy Howard. That way, I can't be disappointed.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #5318
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
While true, a bunch of other teams didn't grab him either, nor try to trade for him for AHL pieces a year later. It sucks but it doesn't mean you don't pay to get him now if it makes sense.

Guaranteed there will be a dozen guys regretfully walked away from, traded, and of course signed to too large a contract this offseason, by all teams across the league. Same as every year.
Ok, at what point do heads roll over missed opportunities like this? Who’s advising treliving to pursue smith over Kuemper? Ultimately it’s trelivings call and the buck stops there, but which pro scouts are feeding him this info? And why are they still employed?

You can’t get everything right but at the same time you have to get more right than you do wrong. And we are getting more misses than hits on goaltending. Which has to change either through a new goalie, Or a new GM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #5319
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I for one expect Mike Yeo and Jimmy Howard. That way, I can't be disappointed.

Thanks Scorp, I just barf in my tea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #5320
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is actually right in line with what has become quite typical FW fodder to take the absolute least favourable position with respect to the Flames. He would no doubt take exceptional delight in this terrible deal, and we would never hear the end of it.
In other words, mocking the GM and the Flames, while baiting!

Unfortunately it is the kind of thing one does for attention!
Closed Thread