Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2023, 08:27 PM   #5281
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Wait a minute... couldn't they simply add a mini-exit immediately after the Glenmore overpass bridge? That way you add a 2nd lane to the exit loop leading to TT south without needing to make any changes to the single-lane bridge. But there's probably a reason why it hasn't been considered. Just spitballing here.
Not exactly sure what you mean.

If the bridge leading up to the loop is still only one lane, then adding a second lane to the loop loses a majority of its effectiveness. It does appear the exit to southbound could be 2 lanes before merging into the single lane for the bridge would might help slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Sorry late to the thread. What part of the SW design is everyone upset about? Thanks.
Because of the nearby power station, the loop ramp from wesbound Glenmore to southbound Stoney has a very tight turning radius and traffic moves slowly to the degree that it's backing up onto westbound Glenmore allegedly all the way to 37 St, compounded by a confusing lane configuration approaching the entire interchange.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2023, 09:49 PM   #5282
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post

If the bridge leading up to the loop is still only one lane, then adding a second lane to the loop loses a majority of its effectiveness. It does appear the exit to southbound could be 2 lanes before merging into the single lane for the bridge would might help slightly.

Because of the nearby power station, the loop ramp from wesbound Glenmore to southbound Stoney has a very tight turning radius and traffic moves slowly to the degree that it's backing up onto westbound Glenmore allegedly all the way to 37 St, compounded by a confusing lane configuration approaching the entire interchange.
It's completely unacceptable. So bad.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 10:07 PM   #5283
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's completely unacceptable. So bad.
But we can’t be mean to the engineers. They tried their best.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:07 PM   #5284
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Technically not part of the ring road but part of the project and a topic of discussion here recently. Speed limit of WB TCH has been raised to 110 now, just as you leave the City. Used to be 80 all the way to Old Banff Coach Road.
Only speeding ticket I've ever gotten. Going 91 on a road clearly built for 100+ speeds.

Quote:

The right lane of Glenmore right after crossing the TT bridge, there is a very short section where an exit could be put to allow a lane of cars to enter the loop that goes to SB TT. The initial lane coming from the one-lane bridge could be tightened slightly to allow room for the new outer lane. The result being two lanes looping into TT south instead of just one. Put a speed limit on the loops to ensure safety. Ban those huge trailer trucks from using the outer lane.

And there would be no point in forcing the two loop lanes to merge into one before entering the highway, or you've just recreated the bottleneck and defeated the purpose of the whole thing. Each lane must be its own added lane to the highway. Since SB traffic from Sarcee is already calmed by the Richmond Road intersection, it likely wouldn't be an issue to force them into the left lane temporarily for that one small section.

Kinda hard to explain without pictures/illustrations...
Old 12-26-2023, 11:21 PM   #5285
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Kinda hard to explain without pictures/illustrations...
I did figure out what you mean and it's actually not a bad idea, just breaks a lot of design rules and would make signage even more confusing than it already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
But we can’t be mean to the engineers. They tried their best.
It's not a matter of being mean, it's a matter of just trying to understand why the people who know a lot more about building roads than any of you built it the way they did, instead of just saying it sucks.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2023, 08:14 AM   #5286
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think they under estimated the traffic flow. Myself living in Copperfield- I find I often take that route home as it's the same time or faster than going EB Glenmore to Deerfoot/ Barlow. Also being free flowing it is typically an easier ride.

Or at least it was free flowing until recent months.

My guess is they didn't account for people preferring to take a longer loop around a part of the city as opposed to being stuck in traffic going through it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:30 PM   #5287
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Well Apple was actually updated before it opened by a few days, which I think explained why I saw more people doing u-turns.

Edit: looks like Google maps is directing me to 69th street, heading east off of Highway 8 to circle back to get on to the ring road. So not perfect yet.
Nice.

You know what they have on 69th Street, eh, eh?
Old 12-27-2023, 07:39 PM   #5288
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Potentially unpopular opinion, but I f-cking LOVE the fact that some of the street lights on Highway 1 and Stoney have turned blue. Driving through them feels so nice.

I experienced them for the first time driving to and from Winnipeg this past week. I say make all of them that colour.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2023, 10:30 PM   #5289
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Potentially unpopular opinion, but I f-cking LOVE the fact that some of the street lights on Highway 1 and Stoney have turned blue. Driving through them feels so nice.

I experienced them for the first time driving to and from Winnipeg this past week. I say make all of them that colour.
Yep, love it, too. There's some down near Seton on Deerfoot and it feels so cool driving through there at night.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:33 PM   #5290
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They may be cool but I don’t feel like they actually light up the area well. And with the ####ty drivers everywhere it’s a bit concerning.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #5291
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

They definitely don't do nearly as good of a job as properly functioning lights would, that I'd agree, but you get a good song with the right vibe playing while cruising through those things, your drive instantly gets better for those several seconds you're cruising through.

Woke Up This Morning (Sunset Mix) by Alabama 3 was playing on my Spotify radio and the blue lights came up at just the right moment.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #5292
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went for a drive on boxing day and have a question. On 22 south, right between the horrible Super 8 mansion monstrosity & the Hwy 8 roundabout, is a bunch of construction. Is this flood mitigation or are they realigning from Stoney over to 22S and ditching Hwy 8 in its current configuration?
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #5293
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Went for a drive on boxing day and have a question. On 22 south, right between the horrible Super 8 mansion monstrosity & the Hwy 8 roundabout, is a bunch of construction. Is this flood mitigation or are they realigning from Stoney over to 22S and ditching Hwy 8 in its current configuration?
I'm pretty sure that I saw signage last time I was through there indicating it's part of the Springbank Dam project / flood mitigation.

"Super 8 mansion monstrosity" - flawless.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #5294
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super 8 Manstrosity.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:47 PM   #5295
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I'm pretty sure that I saw signage last time I was through there indicating it's part of the Springbank Dam project / flood mitigation.

"Super 8 mansion monstrosity" - flawless.
This is indeed the “dry dam” construction. I suppose they may be going improve 22 at the same time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:11 AM   #5296
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have driven the new ring road a few times now from SE Calgary to HWY 1 WEST and its a real treat. Biggest asset is getting my kids to ice times in NW Calgary and getting out of the city. Not having to deal with Sarcee any more is a big big win.

Southbound on the ring road offers some incredible views of the mountains and I really enjoy coming down the hill northbound west of COP and the view it offers of NW Calgary.

I know not everyone is 100% satisfied but this is a game changer living in the SE.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2023, 10:14 AM   #5297
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Have driven the new ring road a few times now from SE Calgary to HWY 1 WEST and its a real treat. Biggest asset is getting my kids to ice times in NW Calgary and getting out of the city. Not having to deal with Sarcee any more is a big big win.

Southbound on the ring road offers some incredible views of the mountains and I really enjoy coming down the hill northbound west of COP and the view it offers of NW Calgary.

I know not everyone is 100% satisfied but this is a game changer living in the SE.
Agree 100%.

What are the complaints?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 12-29-2023 at 10:16 AM. Reason: question added.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:15 AM   #5298
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Totally agree with this ^

I live in Cranston and the drive to my soccer game at Bearspaw was considerably quicker and easier than previously

You're also so right about that view of NW calgary lights coming down the COP hill - it was beautiful.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:25 AM   #5299
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really gotta try driving this stretch now that I'm home from Christmas break.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #5300
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What are the complaints?
Not the newest leg, but there was some recent discussion in this thread about backups for WB Glenmore to SB Stoney.

I think that's natural though, and criticism is fine. It has been "when does this leg open?" for years and years, so people are naturally going to talk about their experiences, good and bad.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: