Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2022, 03:23 PM   #5221
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I rolled the credits a couple days ago. Did Ranni's ending. Still loved the game and not ready to do NG+ yet, considering I still haven't finished a whole area of the game... and probably missed a few dungeons and mini bosses along the way.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:09 PM   #5222
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say, the Guardians of the Galaxy PC port is pretty damn flawless. Even on five-year-old hardware, it's running buttery smooth at 1080p on ultra settings.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #5223
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updating my multi-year Legend of Heroes games journey... I started Trails FC in 2020, and have now completed Azure. Spoilered my views on the first 4 games for length:

Spoiler!

So... about Azure.

This one was peak JRPG goodness. The stakes are high, the motivations of nearly everyone involved make good sense, the pacing is a bit quick at the end but for the most part solid. From a story perspective, the fact that literally every bad guy has either actually intriguing mystery surrounding them or some degree of "well, at least I understand their dastardly motives" makes this, in my opinion, arguably a superior arc to the Sky games. Arguably. I can see the argument. I'm not positive though. I'll have to let it sit for a while.

Spoiler!

So yeah... as a JRPG it's obviously an easy A+. As a Legend of Heroes game, grading on that curve, I would say a solid A. There are things they could have done better, things that could be improved, but it's just so polished a product at this stage that you have a hard time faulting them for any of it, and there are really no weak spots. The most you can say is "this was really good, but to make it AMAZING, they could have done..."

JRPGs are a niche genre, for sure, but at this point, the first five games I've played in this series have to be considered the absolute pinnacle of that genre. Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are obviously the giants that games like these stand on the shoulders of, but it's just impossible to avoid the conclusion that these are not only better video games than those classics, but somehow, they're better examples of the genre, too - carrying through with the tropes and the general atmosphere that give those classics their charm and improving on every facet of them without reinventing the wheel or undermining or subverting anything that made them enjoyable for what they were. And despite the intervening ~3 decades, I don't think there's another game outside of this series that I can realistically say that about.

I'm a bit sad that moving on to Trails of Cold Steel, we're losing the 2D aesthetic. Hopefully the magic doesn't go with it. I'm going to be waiting for the Steam Deck before I start in on those, so might be a couple of months.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #5224
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I rolled the credits a couple days ago. Did Ranni's ending. Still loved the game and not ready to do NG+ yet, considering I still haven't finished a whole area of the game... and probably missed a few dungeons and mini bosses along the way.
Wish I’d looked up some endings before choosing that one it was…anticlimactic. To the YouTubes.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #5225
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Updating my multi-year Legend of Heroes games journey... I started Trails FC in 2020, and have now completed Azure. Spoilered my views on the first 4 games for length:

Might have missed it in previous posts, but what platform have you played all of these? I have never delved into this series at all and have appreciated your general appraisals of them. Seems like it may be worth doing!
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #5226
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Might have missed it in previous posts, but what platform have you played all of these? I have never delved into this series at all and have appreciated your general appraisals of them. Seems like it may be worth doing!
All on PC. The first three games (Trails in the Sky chapters 1, 2 and 3) are easily gettable through Steam and work without any problem, although you can also do some things to "patch" them unofficially to change some artwork and apply some voice acting here and there. That's a lot of gameplay right there - closer to 150 hours than 100, and maybe more than 150 if you do everything.

The next two, Zero and Azure, are tougher to get - you basically have to download them illegally and patch them to work with "Fan" translations (which are really well polished and basically just as good as the first three games' translations, if not better).

The wrinkle here is that after I got them working, both of those games (Zero and Azure) were announced as being "localized" in the near future just like the first three (Trails in the Sky) so that you don't have to jump through any hoops, just get them on Steam. As of the time of that announcement, all the downloads were removed from their original sites, because the people who did the work to make them playable for English-speaking audiences now just want you to buy them on Steam, which is fair enough. The problem is, Zero isn't being released on Steam until September 2022 and Azure sometime in 2023, so if you want to just do it the easy way, you'll have to wait for that. The question is whether you'll even get through the first three by then, given that they're pretty long games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #5227
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Wish I’d looked up some endings before choosing that one it was…anticlimactic. To the YouTubes.
It was my favorite ending because of the implications that come from breaking the Golden Order and the natural cycle that they've tried to keep going all these years.

There are 6 endings I believe, that have been discovered at least. I'm going to try to see all of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #5228
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
It was my favorite ending because of the implications that come from breaking the Golden Order and the natural cycle that they've tried to keep going all these years.

There are 6 endings I believe, that have been discovered at least. I'm going to try to see all of them.
That’s fair. For what was an elaborate quest line it just felt like not much payoff. Plus side there’s an endgame weapon and farming location that’s 50k+ for 20 seconds work so I’m gonna go get myself nice and OP before venturing into new game plus. Nerf my game breaking skills will ya? Then I’ll find new ones! Blasphemous blade and rivers of blood along with Tiche are good and cheesy. Not quite hoarfrost and mimic tear but close.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #5229
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

This looks like Terreria meets Stardew Valley. Right up my alley!

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 10:01 PM   #5230
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

125. That's a lot of games. 1 day left for the bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-w...ybundle_bundle
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #5231
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
All on PC. The first three games (Trails in the Sky chapters 1, 2 and 3) are easily gettable through Steam and work without any problem, although you can also do some things to "patch" them unofficially to change some artwork and apply some voice acting here and there. That's a lot of gameplay right there - closer to 150 hours than 100, and maybe more than 150 if you do everything.

The next two, Zero and Azure, are tougher to get - you basically have to download them illegally and patch them to work with "Fan" translations (which are really well polished and basically just as good as the first three games' translations, if not better).

The wrinkle here is that after I got them working, both of those games (Zero and Azure) were announced as being "localized" in the near future just like the first three (Trails in the Sky) so that you don't have to jump through any hoops, just get them on Steam. As of the time of that announcement, all the downloads were removed from their original sites, because the people who did the work to make them playable for English-speaking audiences now just want you to buy them on Steam, which is fair enough. The problem is, Zero isn't being released on Steam until September 2022 and Azure sometime in 2023, so if you want to just do it the easy way, you'll have to wait for that. The question is whether you'll even get through the first three by then, given that they're pretty long games.
The three Trails in the Sky games and the first two of the Cold Steel series are on sale at GOG.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:35 PM   #5232
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Far Cry 6 is having a free weekend starting sometime today(24th). Including it's Stranger Things crossover.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #5233
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
That’s fair. For what was an elaborate quest line it just felt like not much payoff. Plus side there’s an endgame weapon and farming location that’s 50k+ for 20 seconds work so I’m gonna go get myself nice and OP before venturing into new game plus. Nerf my game breaking skills will ya? Then I’ll find new ones! Blasphemous blade and rivers of blood along with Tiche are good and cheesy. Not quite hoarfrost and mimic tear but close.
I have the endgame weapon and it is glorious, and with golden chicken foot and the scarab you're getting 40k runes with a button press. It's much more efficient than the bird farm. I've just been farming runes to level up new weapons to mess around at this point. Funny, I'm also using Rivers of Blood, but haven't really played with Blasphemous Blade, but I have the thing upgraded. Tiche is really slippery and can solo a lot of stronger enemies so I love that about her, versus the Mimic, who is still tanky but kind of dumb (like myself in some cases, fitting really).
Old 03-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #5234
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to seize a once in a lifetime opportunity to humble brag: I'm currently in the top 20 worldwide in the Apex Predators Challenge in Horizon Forbidden West.

Pretty cool. I usually suck at these things ... in some of the other challenges I'm not even top 100,000 lol.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2022, 11:14 PM   #5235
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm going to seize a once in a lifetime opportunity to humble brag: I'm currently in the top 20 worldwide in the Apex Predators Challenge in Horizon Forbidden West.

Pretty cool. I usually suck at these things ... in some of the other challenges I'm not even top 100,000 lol.
That's wild - awesome stuff! I'm not remotely that skilled.

I ran around upgrading all the legendary stuff before finishing the story stuff. 100 hours and still stuff to circle back on after the fact.

Game looks gorgeous and had a ton of fun. Story didn't hook me as much as the first game with all the lore and mystery of Zero Dawn and Enduring Victory but still enjoyable. Kotallo voice actor really stood out for me.

Spoiler!

Time to get back to the Steamdeck and Triangle Strat.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-28-2022 at 10:29 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:11 PM   #5236
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Elden Ring update - beat Godrick with some help. Still not very good at the game. A lot of random rolling around and hack and slash with my shield up is my technique so far.. haha Tried to take on red wolf radagan but need to find some better armour first. Still rocking some pretty crappy early game stuff. Having hella fun with the game though.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #5237
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Elden Ring update - beat Godrick with some help. Still not very good at the game. A lot of random rolling around and hack and slash with my shield up is my technique so far.. haha Tried to take on red wolf radagan but need to find some better armour first. Still rocking some pretty crappy early game stuff. Having hella fun with the game though.
Pro tip, armor doesn't do much for you in the game. Upgrading your weapon is usually the best way to spend your time if you're hitting a wall on a certain boss/area. To do so, find the little orange "holes" on the map--those are dungeons where you can find the smithing stones to upgrade weapons.

EDIT: Awesome that you got past Godrick; he was a pain for me too being a first time souls player.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 01:09 PM   #5238
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Fashion Souls is the only Souls
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 01:22 PM   #5239
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
That's wild - awesome stuff! I'm not remotely that skilled.

I ran around upgrading all the legendary stuff before finishing the story stuff. 100 hours and still stuff to circle back on after the fact.

Game looks gorgeous and had a ton of fun. Story didn't hook me as much as the first game with all the lore and mystery of Zero Dawn and Enduring Victory but still enjoyable. Kotallo voice actor really stood out for me.

Spoiler!

Time to get back to the Steamdeck and Triangle Strat.
I really liked a lot of aspects of the game. Setting, map, characters, machines, gameplay and so on - it's all A+ for me. Unfortunately, the main story was a letdown for me too.

Spoiler!

The story was never going to reach the impact of the first game for me anyways, because discovering the world with all the machines and investigating the truth behind Zero Dawn, the fall of humanity and Aloy's background was so interesting to me that the sequel was pretty much bound to fall short in that regard. But yeah, I didn't really like the direction they went.

The game also really punished me for my habit of doing a ton of side missions and stuff before progressing the main story. I only got some really helpful upgrades pretty late in the game lol.

All that being said, I still enjoyed the heck out of the game ... maybe even to a crazy amount given the main story. Plus at least the ending guarantees there'll be a third game, and that's a good thing.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #5240
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
As mentioned, your best option is to level up your character and upgrade your stuff. Upgrade your weapons as much as you can, upgrade your shield if you use one, upgrade your summon ashes etc. If you're not sure where to get the upgrade materials, look it up online. These games are unique in that you can easily use almost any weapon in the game and have success with it. It totally just depends on what weapons you prefer to use.

Make sure you've invested level points into vigor as that's super important for beginners to allow you to make more mistakes (my end game character has vigor 45 as a FYI). I also like to use the heaviest armor I can but still only be at medium load so I'm not fat rolling. If you're fat rolling, you're gonna have a bad time. You'll need an adequate amount of points in endurance to achieve this so take a look at that.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post: