Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 02:40 PM   #5201
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What’s Porter’s record for on-time flights?
When I looked a few weeks ago iirc they were just slightly above Westjet
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #5202
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is best place to buy Pesos in Calgary? Bank? AMA?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:03 PM   #5203
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Porter's slogan should be "the way it used to and should be"

love that airline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Except for the price of course *wink emoji
Prices today are likely much lower than in the past , adjusted for inflation.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #5204
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Where is best place to buy Pesos in Calgary? Bank? AMA?
I rely mostly on my Wise account/card these days. But when I used to buy physical Euros and Pounds, I would go to Calforex.

AMA does have that Peso and USD machine, though I’m not sure how competitive the rates are.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:04 PM   #5205
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
For everybody that pays for a foreign SIM instead of roaming, do you have to just accept that text messages sent to your regular phone number disappear while you've got your home SIM removed, or is there something that you can do for that? I have found it really annoying that I come back home, put my regular SIM back in and I have no idea if there were any text messages I missed.
I just deactivate my regular SIM, and activate my eSIM once I land. I don't receive calls or text on my eSIM, but if I wanted to I can just call and text through WhatsApp anyways.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:22 AM   #5206
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I just deactivate my regular SIM, and activate my eSIM once I land. I don't receive calls or text on my eSIM, but if I wanted to I can just call and text through WhatsApp anyways.
How does that fix the problem of incoming texts to your regular phone number getting dropped while you’re using a different SIM? You mean you don’t have any contacts that send you regular text messages?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #5207
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I keep both sims on and just turn data roaming off the home one.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #5208
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Yeah, I wasn’t aware you could still receive messages and not be dinged for roaming while abroad.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #5209
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So if you get an esim and use it for data, you turn off your Canadian sim data roaming and mobile data but leave on phone and SMS?

This allows you to see when someone is phoning or texting your Canadian number but as long as you don't answer the call or respond to the text it shouldn't cost anything or trigger the easy roaming?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:21 AM   #5210
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

That’s how it has worked for me and I’m in the US fairly often (and have avoided the roaming fees). As long as you don’t actually send a text or make a call, you should be good and should still see who is trying to reach you.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:32 AM   #5211
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How does that fix the problem of incoming texts to your regular phone number getting dropped while you’re using a different SIM? You mean you don’t have any contacts that send you regular text messages?
Actually I don't - everyone I stay in contact with (outside of work) mainly uses WhatsApp or Instagram to message (and sometimes call), so I just use those. To be fair I a) barely text or call much anymore in general, and b) don't really do so through traditional means (re: data) anymore, so it's likely you may have different preferences than me on that front. As Pepsi said, keep your home SIM on too, since you can receive messages (I had no idea that was a thing, which is super cool). At the end of the day, maybe just pay for the roaming. For me, I find it's half the price with an eSIM, but I don't need to call or text through data when I'm traveling.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:26 AM   #5212
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So if you get an esim and use it for data, you turn off your Canadian sim data roaming and mobile data but leave on phone and SMS?

This allows you to see when someone is phoning or texting your Canadian number but as long as you don't answer the call or respond to the text it shouldn't cost anything or trigger the easy roaming?
That's correct. When I was in Italy last summer, both my wife and I did this and it worked out well.

I also have an app called Fongo, which is an app that gives you a free VOIP Canadian phone number that you can use to make calls back to Canada for free. You can buy a texting add-on for a few bucks, but usually I don't bother. My company also has a Voip app, so I could technically call back with that as well. WhatsApp also does voice calls if you want to.

So if someone calls - ignore it and call them back on Fongo, work line, or WhatsApp. If someone texts, reply with WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.

I found that there was nobody that I could not reply to, one way or another. But I'm also not that popular or important to receive a lot of calls or text while I'm away.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:29 AM   #5213
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I wasn’t aware you could still receive messages and not be dinged for roaming while abroad.
Quote:

Quote:
That’s how it has worked for me and I’m in the US fairly often (and have avoided the roaming fees). As long as you don’t actually send a text or make a call, you should be good and should still see who is trying to reach you.
Well you learn something new every day on CP. I also was not aware this would work. Good to know for my upcoming trip.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:42 AM   #5214
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another tip for iPhone users - turn off the setting that sends your message as SMS if it can't deliver it by iMessage. I'd rather get a failure notice than having it go as SMS, especially when travelling. One text will trigger a day of "rip off roaming" from your provider.

And obviously data roaming always off on your Canadian sim before you leave. If you do it when you land and come out of airplane mode, it might already be too late. One measly byte of data in the background and you'll get dinged.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 06:22 PM   #5215
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just trying to load up an esim with airalo. It says make sure device is network unlocked before proceeding to buy. My phone is on Telus and can't imagine it's unlocked? Any advice?
Old 02-13-2024, 06:28 PM   #5216
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Just trying to load up an esim with airalo. It says make sure device is network unlocked before proceeding to buy. My phone is on Telus and can't imagine it's unlocked? Any advice?
As far as I'm aware, all phones in Canada these days are unlocked. It should be fine.

EDIT: https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-telev...ckingfees.html
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 08:20 PM   #5217
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

If your employers offered unpaid time off, up to a month in total, how many of you would apply?

I get 5 weeks off a year but am very temped to apply for another 2 weeks off in order to travel more. I don't have a family or any financial pressures and don't think I'll wish that I worked an extra 2 weeks 20 years from now instead of travelling to another continent.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 08:38 PM   #5218
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
If your employers offered unpaid time off, up to a month in total, how many of you would apply?

I get 5 weeks off a year but am very temped to apply for another 2 weeks off in order to travel more. I don't have a family or any financial pressures and don't think I'll wish that I worked an extra 2 weeks 20 years from now instead of travelling to another continent.
I’ve worked at places where you could “buy” two extra weeks. Some years I did some I didn’t. Depends what I had planned. It’s easy to trade 4% for more time off in my mind.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 09:28 PM   #5219
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
As far as I'm aware, all phones in Canada these days are unlocked. It should be fine.

EDIT: https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-telev...ckingfees.html
Seems to have worked. Telus and esim showing. I guess I'll know for sure once down south.
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 05:39 PM   #5220
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

My longest held job offered the option to buy 2 extra weeks of vacation at 2% of salary deducted per week. I did that every year and it made a huge difference in the amount of travel I was able to do while I had the job.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: