Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #501
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
He has to be convicted of something before being able to be pardoned, and for some reason a sitting president has been declared to be immune from any criminal charges. When he's no longer president is when you'll see NY state start actual criminal proceedings against him, that is if Trump and Barr don't manage to purge every honest judge left
Based on the Nixon pardon you don’t need to be convicted to be Pardoned.

Quote:
Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9,1974.
Now this was never tested in the courts but there is precedent for this type of Pardon.

https://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/li...hes/740061.asp

Though as others have stated presidential pardons only cover federal crimes and not state ones. Though there is an interesting case where if a crime was committed and you could be charged with both the state crime and the federal crime the federal crime takes precident and you can’t be convicted of both. So one thing Trump May be able to do with a presidential pardon is to argue that the crimes he is charged with in New York State could actually be federal charges and therefore would be covered under the federal pardon.

So to truly get trump you need to find a crime at the state level that isn’t a crime at the federal level in the event that Teump gets a Nixon style Pardon.

Edit: I think I have the double jeopardy federal state thing wrong. In the Manafort case it appears that the court ruled they were allowed to pursue state level charges.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5178328

Last edited by GGG; 06-28-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #502
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Oh greeeeaaaattttt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #503
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump will just pardon himself and his crooked family last day in office.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #504
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other interesting thing to me this past week or so is how Pence also seems to be imploding.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #505
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
The other interesting thing to me this past week or so is how Pence also seems to be imploding.
He started suggesting people wear masks and has even wore one himself. That’s the first thing I’ve seen him contradict Trump on.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #506
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
He started suggesting people wear masks and has even wore one himself. That’s the first thing I’ve seen him contradict Trump on.
Is there a deadline that he has to run by? Maybe they are waiting until the last possible second to pull the plug so Pence doesn’t have time to screw it up.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #507
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Is there a deadline that he has to run by? Maybe they are waiting until the last possible second to pull the plug so Pence doesn’t have time to screw it up.
The convention is at the end of August. I have no idea what’s going to happen before then but my bet would be Trump running until the end. His ego wouldn’t let him resign.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #508
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pence still can't bring himself to say black lives matter. The pathetic way in which he continually dances around the issue is just embarrassing.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...atter-1021596/

Quote:
For the second time in as many weeks, Vice President Mike Pence refused to utter the words Black lives matter. And this time, as part of his rationale, he used the name of the Civil Rights icon Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., twisting King’s words and legacy to justify his own inaction.

On Sunday, John Dickerson of CBS News’ Face the Nation asked Pence why he won’t say that Black lives matter.

“One thing protesters would like to hear is leaders say Black lives matter. You won’t say that. Why?” Dickerson asked.

Pence then tried to connect an unproven notion that the movement stands for violence and because the vice president was such a devoted follower of the peace-driven activist, it is impossible for him to utter those words.

“All my life, I’ve been inspired by the example of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. When I was in Congress, I traveled to his home church in Montgomery with Congressman John Lewis. I walked across the Edmund Pettus Bridge on the anniversary of Bloody Sunday,” Pence said. “I cherish the progress that we have made toward a more perfect union for African Americans throughout our history. And I’ve aspired throughout my career to be a part of that ongoing work. It’s really a heart issue for me.”
Quote:
Pence then threw in his anti-abortion beliefs as another excuse to not speak the words “Black lives matter.”

“And as a pro-life American, I also believe that all life matters, born and unborn,” Pence said.

The vice president continued by going after the movement that stands for equality and is advocating for change in order to stop racist police brutality.

“What I see in the leaders of the Black Lives Matter movement is a political agenda of the radical left that would defund the police. That would tear down monuments, that would press a radical left agenda, and support calls for the kind of violence that has beset the very communities that they say that they’re advocating for,” Pence said.

Dickerson attempted to interrupt Pence’s filibuster twice and then finally asked again, “So you won’t say Black lives matter?”

To which Pence replied: “John, I really believe that all lives matter.”
Old 06-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #509
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
The convention is at the end of August. I have no idea what’s going to happen before then but my bet would be Trump running until the end. His ego wouldn’t let him resign.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #510
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pardon is really useless to Trump. The state AGs have built cases against Trump, and those are not covered by a pardon. This is why Trump continues to try and weed out anyone at the state level that could possible bring charges against him. Trump or Pence can pardon him all they want, but he's in legal crosshairs that he's going to struggle to get out of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #511
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

We have the Green candidate, Howie Hawkins. I found this interview pretty interesting as a choice for progressives. And he has a black female running mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuMbNSFVZUE

Excerpt about wasting your vote, that would interest you, and the things that have been discussed in this thread.

Spoiler!

Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #512
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While at the same time crowing about how well they’ve done with the virus and doubling down with Trump that he was never briefed on the bounty thing (they actually haven’t contradicted the intelligence on that just that they supposedly weren’t briefed). Repeatedly saying All Lives Matter. It’s been a really bad few weeks not just for Trump but the entire upper echelon of the GOP.

Last edited by ernie; 06-29-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #513
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
While at the same time crowing about how well they’ve done with the virus and doubling down with Trump that he was never briefed on the bounty thing (they actually haven’t contradicted the intelligence on that just that they supposedly weren’t briefed). Repeatedly saying All Lives Matter. It’s been a really bad few weeks not just for Trump but the entire upper echelon of the GOP.
Oh yeah, he’s still unimaginably terrible, but seeing him do anything that doesn’t copycat Trump is notable. It’s probably the most rebellious thing he’s ever done.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #514
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah, he’s still unimaginably terrible, but seeing him do anything that doesn’t copycat Trump is notable. It’s probably the most rebellious thing he’s ever done.
Well he might have had a meeting with a woman without his wife present once...

Anyways, in yet another decision sure to send evangelicals into fits Judge Roberts sides with the liberal judges as the Supreme Court blocks the Louisiana abortion bill. The bill would have essentially eliminated all abortion clinics from the state. This is the admitting privileges law that would have left one doctor in the state to service the 10,000 abortions a year sought in the state. The court had previously blocked a similar Texas law before Kennedy retired.

Last edited by ernie; 06-29-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #515
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another Supreme Court defeat for the GOP.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...n-law-n1231392

Quote:
The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Louisiana's tough restriction on abortion violates the Constitution, a surprising victory for abortion rights advocates from an increasingly conservative court.

The 5-4 decision in which Chief Justice John Roberts joined with the court's liberal justices struck down a law passed by Louisiana's legislature in 2014 that required any doctor offering abortion services to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles. Its enforcement had been blocked by a protracted legal battle.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #516
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iran puts out an arrest warrant for donnie t:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...104710662.html
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #517
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Judge Kavanaugh has voted on partisan lines every time. Shocking!

Bob Woodward wanted to expose Brett Kavanaugh as a source for 1999 book about Clinton investigation at the height of his SCOTUS nomination furor - but was talked out of it
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ns-affair.html

Quote:
The fact that Kavanaugh had lied on record enraged Woodward, who was prepared to expose the judge using evidence that he had indeed contributed to the 1999 book. However, just as the story was about to run in 2018, the Washington Post decided not to publish.

Last edited by troutman; 06-29-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #518
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I ever saw Roberts I'd buy him a coffee. What a beauty of a man.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #519
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vote Vets is the first to hit Trump with an ad re: the bounty.

The story has been confirmed by other publications now as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #520
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Vote Vets is the first to hit Trump with an ad re: the bounty.

The story has been confirmed by other publications now as well.
NSFW!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread