Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #501
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Price?

No clue my friend, it was maybe a year ago while at my friends, father's house who served it to us. He said he received it as part of a bonus from work but wouldn't tell us how much the bottle was although we were only allowed two drinks each so i savored each and every neat sip. Do you know how much it costs?
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #502
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
No clue my friend, it was maybe a year ago while at my friends, father's house who served it to us. He said he received it as part of a bonus from work but wouldn't tell us how much the bottle was although we were only allowed two drinks each so i savored each and every neat sip. Do you know how much it costs?
Not to sure. I know it was a limited release that was only available as a travellers edition I believe. I'm guessing back when it was released it would have been the $200 to $400 range but that's just a guess.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #503
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Price?
Was priced at $170.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #504
Bork
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I just got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and it is an absolute pleasure to drink. If you like a peatier scotch from Islay, give this one a try.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #505
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remembered I had some Caol Ila a while back - part of a taster package I got for a birthday or something. I remember really liking it, but could never find it in store for some reason (I only really went to two stores for booze and neither had it).

Moved houses recently and the new liquor store near my house had it! I forgot what it was like, but I'm excited to re-experience! Just over $80, and the box looks pretty sweet too.

EDIT: I remember it being quite smoky, but still rich in flavour. I'll have to update once I have some.

Last edited by mrkajz44; 03-19-2015 at 10:53 AM.
mrkajz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrkajz44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #506
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its difficult to say because I love so many, but Caol Ila could be my all time favourite. Just so smooth and smoky. Maybe the perfect dram!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #507
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, yes, Caol Ila is one of my next chases. Ardbeg Uigeadail as well. Possibly Oban too. Still savoring the Lagavulin though which is great after forcing myself through a bottle of Macallan 10 (too weak IMO) these last 3 months.

Had a chance to try Talisker 10 at a bar. I forget which poster noted a metallic taste, but yes, it does. I'll vouch that. The metal taste could be love or hate and quite unique IMO, pretty good flavor. Odd that I was getting weird looks for having neat Talisker at Ceilis though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #508
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Talisker 10 didn't really strike me as metallic at all. I found it tasty and quite peppery but still smoky. I quite enjoyed it actually.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #509
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Was priced at $170.
At that price, I'd only let my son's friends admire the bottle. From a distance.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #510
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
At that price, I'd only let my son's friends admire the bottle. From a distance.
That's what I thought too when we left the house for a few days...
Old 03-20-2015, 11:50 PM   #511
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find Jameson pretty drinkable given it's low price.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #512
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seems like everyone quit drinking Scotch the past 2 months. It was playoffs and you guys are telling me there was no new bottles cracked?

Opened a Bowmore Tempest V during the second round. Haven't really decided my thoughts on it yet. Only a couple drinks in so far.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #513
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like everyone quit drinking Scotch the past 2 months. It was playoffs and you guys are telling me there was no new bottles cracked?

Opened a Bowmore Tempest V during the second round. Haven't really decided my thoughts on it yet. Only a couple drinks in so far.
Drank about half of my Caol Ila during the run (would only drink it again after a win, so there were a decent amount during the Vancouver series). It was even better than I remember, and definitely need to be part of the regular line up going forward. It has the lighter smoky flavour, but still is quite rich.

12 year bottles are in the $80 range or so (I can't quite remember the exact price), so for me its the best value under $100, which is basically my personal cap for scotch at this point.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #514
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
12 year bottles are in the $80 range or so (I can't quite remember the exact price), so for me its the best value under $100, which is basically my personal cap for scotch at this point.
Where is the cheapest you have found this? I'd like to give a try but I usually tend to stick to bottles on sale or superstore/Costco.

I don't like spending over $80 a bottle since Lagavulin could (or could up until a month ago) be purchased for that price and I think it's the best in the price range. So if I'm going over $90 it has to blow Lagavulin out of the water.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #515
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone try this?

Quote:
Port Charlotte Scottish Barley Whiskey

With so many great whiskies being produced in Scotland, particularly in the Islay region, it can be difficult to know what to grab as you peruse the liquor store shelves. Scottish Barley, a recent release in the Port Charlotte line from Bruichladdich, is more than a worthy choice, presenting the rare combination of great taste and great packaging. It's an Islay Single Malt distilled from 100% Scottish Barley, then matured in the village of Port Charlotte. The casks were hand picked by Master Distiller Jim McEwan and each bottle features a heavy dose of peat, clocking in at 40ppm, a nice uptick from your typical Islay dram.
http://uncrate.com/stuff/port-charlo...arley-whiskey/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #516
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Where is the cheapest you have found this? I'd like to give a try but I usually tend to stick to bottles on sale or superstore/Costco.

I don't like spending over $80 a bottle since Lagavulin could (or could up until a month ago) be purchased for that price and I think it's the best in the price range. So if I'm going over $90 it has to blow Lagavulin out of the water.
I just use the liquor store down the street from my place. Pretty sure its an independent store. It's called Solo Liquor and just off Deerfoot on 130th Ave by the PetroCan.

This probably isn't helpful though...
Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #517
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Solo and Olympia have pretty good prices normally. When they have sales they are really good prices.

Other then that, Costco and Superstore are the best prices, but limited selection.

One of the better scotches I have had recently is the Spice Tree made by Compass Box.

Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #518
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I just use the liquor store down the street from my place. Pretty sure its an independent store. It's called Solo Liquor and just off Deerfoot on 130th Ave by the PetroCan.

This probably isn't helpful though...
This is helpful. Plenty of Solo's around and I've actually been in that one a few times.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #519
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know we talked about this once in the thread before, but I'm curious to know peoples opinions on non-age statement whiskies? I just like scotch personally, but that said I have set aside a few bottles that 18yr and beyond because I don't think they will be around much longer.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #520
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Age doesn't make the whisky but I find that whisky that is at the younger end of the range to be harsher and more hot.
My worry isn't the no age statement it is when they really are running out of good casks and the older stuff that they add to the younger to mellow it out.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote