Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #501
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
A tweet that inspired thousands of "It took you longer to type this than you were in the ring with McGregor" replies. What a moron
Meh, to be expected. He's McGregoring McGregor and they all know now that UFC 200 is going to be a big payday.

Conor got what he deserved and it'll do him the world of good. Too arrogant, playing for the cameras and all that bs enroute to the ring.

And his statement about misuse of energy could be translated as I swung at the fences trying to knock him out. I couldn't, and ran out of gas. His power isn't enough at that level.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #502
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So Holms goes down as the Buster Douglas of MMA as she loses to Tate.

This opens the door for Rousey to come in and take on Tate a fighter that just doesn't match up well against Rousey.
I completely disagree with this. Holm is no Douglas and this latest fight proves she belongs among the top. By all accounts she was leading in the score card, if not for the take down by Tate in the 5th she would've won the match. I also think there's a Rousey/Holm rematch before either get a chance at Tate. too many people are dying to see it, too much hype and money to be made not to do it.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #503
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see a Holm/Rousey rematch. Rousey executed a terrible game plan in that fight and was way too confident given all her early finishes. She needed to fight much like Tate fought Holm last night, be patient, wait for her chance to take Holm down a finish her on the ground.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #504
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait till Holm's fights Cat, that'll be an ever harder task for her. Before the Rousey loss Cat was the no. 1 ranked fighter and that hasn't changed. I really don't know if anyone can beat Cat right now... but can she still fight with all the tragedy and injuries, maybe not

It's amazing how quickly a division can get turned upside down so quickly

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 03-06-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #505
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^Yeah, and Bethe Correia is no slouch either.

Would love to see a Correia/Zingano fight.

Also something that's been kind of forgotten was the cheap arse move by Silva in his fight. The ole fake fist bump then pull back and punch move. What a dooshnozzle. Was glad to see him get KTFO after that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #506
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

EA's cover curse just doesn't apply to Madden apparently.

http://kotaku.com/ufc-2s-cover-is-pr...now-1763139418
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #507
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I completely disagree with this. Holm is no Douglas and this latest fight proves she belongs among the top. By all accounts she was leading in the score card, if not for the take down by Tate in the 5th she would've won the match. I also think there's a Rousey/Holm rematch before either get a chance at Tate. too many people are dying to see it, too much hype and money to be made not to do it.

It would be nice to have a women's division that didn't just have 1 fighter in it. This is good for the sport.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #508
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rousey was announced to be on the cover after she got KO'd by Holm's. I'm not saying she was already inked in to be on the cover in the backrooms

But this is pretty much stretching the EA curse because it's not like any player thats been on the cover of Madden hasn't lost a football game
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #509
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the curse here is really for Dana White and the UFC. Their ultra-marketable stars are going down like flies at this point, and they can't hitch their wagon to a guy like Diaz. He's far too unpalatable for the general public and has almost zero crossover potential. Then you have Tate, who fought a great spirited fight on Saturday, but really is anyone clamouring to see Tate v. Rousey 3? That has Fight Night written all over it I think...who would drop $60 for that? Poor Dana.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #510
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the curse here is really for Dana White and the UFC. Their ultra-marketable stars are going down like flies at this point, and they can't hitch their wagon to a guy like Diaz. He's far too unpalatable for the general public and has almost zero crossover potential. Then you have Tate, who fought a great spirited fight on Saturday, but really is anyone clamouring to see Tate v. Rousey 3? That has Fight Night written all over it I think...who would drop $60 for that? Poor Dana.
People say this all the time. Remember when GSP retired, Brock left and Silva lost? Could probably go back in this very thread. The UFC knows how to build stars and the comeback fights for Rousey and McGregor will be huge.

Also IIRC the UFC cover for Rousey was announced the day before she lost.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #511
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
People say this all the time. Remember when GSP retired, Brock left and Silva lost? Could probably go back in this very thread. The UFC knows how to build stars and the comeback fights for Rousey and McGregor will be huge.

Also IIRC the UFC cover for Rousey was announced the day before she lost.
Well the reality is that the Rousey/Holm fight was going to be huge and would sell a lot of PPV. Now with Holm losing though, the prospects of Rousey/Tate 3 is hardly enthralling. Is there something I'm missing where people are really excited by that fight?If its on the undercard somewhere, then sure, maybe I'll watch, but it would be quite a sales pitch to get people to buy that as the main attraction that almost surely Holm/Rousey would've been.

I do think that McGregor goes back down and wins some fights. The difference though is that these fighters were on the verge of crossing over to the mainstream in a way that GSP, Silva and Lesnar weren't. That kind of bravado and confidence was great as long as it was backed up. When you decide that you're invincible and step up a couple weight classes and get your ass handed to you though its not as appealing.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #512
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd suggest Rousey and McGregor have already crossed into the mainstream. Ronda hosted SNL for crying out loud. Yeah, they both lost, yeah their next fight won't be as big as it would have been but the UFC will keep on trucking.

And people love a comeback story.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #513
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
Rousey was announced to be on the cover after she got KO'd by Holm's.
Nope, she was announced the day before actually.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/rond...-eas-ufc-2-duh

Last edited by Inferno; 03-07-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #514
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'd suggest Rousey and McGregor have already crossed into the mainstream. Ronda hosted SNL for crying out loud. Yeah, they both lost, yeah their next fight won't be as big as it would have been but the UFC will keep on trucking.

And people love a comeback story.
Sure and I'm not saying that the UFC will go down in Flames. But you can't believe that having its biggest stars, and best opportunities to promote, lose these fights is a good thing for them. At least part of the allure is that aura of invincibility or dominance. That goes away pretty fast when you start piling up the losses though.

My personal opinion is that fighter is better with a few losses as opposed to being undefeated. It shows that they've seen some adversity and that failure teaches them a lot. But you and I are truer fight fans, and guys like us are watching anyway. The challenge for the UFC is a different spectrum though where that brashness and arrogance has to be backed up.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #515
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

The UFC needs to build on the embedded segments they post on youtube. I don't know what it is about stuff like that but I eat it up, regardless of who's fighting. I think the average MMA fan would love it if that came out on a network leading up to fights.
Trojan97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #516
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #517
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
EA's cover curse just doesn't apply to Madden apparently.

http://kotaku.com/ufc-2s-cover-is-pr...now-1763139418

More photos on Flickr
Old 03-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #518
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the reality is that the Rousey/Holm fight was going to be huge and would sell a lot of PPV. Now with Holm losing though, the prospects of Rousey/Tate 3 is hardly enthralling. Is there something I'm missing where people are really excited by that fight?If its on the undercard somewhere, then sure, maybe I'll watch, but it would be quite a sales pitch to get people to buy that as the main attraction that almost surely Holm/Rousey would've been.

I do think that McGregor goes back down and wins some fights. The difference though is that these fighters were on the verge of crossing over to the mainstream in a way that GSP, Silva and Lesnar weren't. That kind of bravado and confidence was great as long as it was backed up. When you decide that you're invincible and step up a couple weight classes and get your ass handed to you though its not as appealing.
Rousey has already crossed over to the mainstream. SNL, movies, etc. I don't think McGregor was as close some fight fans think he was. He was probably in the same ballpark as Lesnar. People seem to forget that Brock's fights always got massive buys, even though I can't really say any of them were all that memorable. I also think if he hadn't had his health problems he would have still been a top draw for another year or so.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #519
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 03-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #520
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr