Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #501
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy ####ing #### ... Rian Johnson is directing the next two Star Wars?! Looper was good, but he's directed 4 movies in almost 20 years. How does he get handed the keys to Star Wars
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #502
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, what did the Russo brothers have on their resume prior to Winter Soldier?

Now they have the keys to Civil War and The Infinity Wars.

I like the choice.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #503
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the script is written already, why does having JJ in there suddenly make it another rehash of the originals, unless it's already that way? he's the director so he'd be responsible for the implementation of the story, not the story itself. Star Trek Into Dumbness still had the JJ look which was good, but a script from that hack fraud Lindelof, which was bad.

anyhow, looper guy directing the next one I'm good with. young directors with the energy to continue doing stuff the hard way instead of just sitting around waiting for CGI to be rendered is what we want. jurassic world guy for Ep 9, eh hopefully he'll pick up enough of the tricks to do more than just a competent job. it's good that Disney is avoiding the potential for lazy old George Lucas / Peter Jackson syndrome.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #504
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a Martin Scorsese Star Wars. Crazy tracking shots, narrators, amazing soundtrack, brutal violence ... Leonardo DiCaprio, etc.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #505
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Johnson's only directing VIII. He's writing the "treatment" for IX's script which will be directed by Trevorrow.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #506
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the script is written already, why does having JJ in there suddenly make it another rehash of the originals, unless it's already that way? he's the director so he'd be responsible for the implementation of the story, not the story itself. Star Trek Into Dumbness still had the JJ look which was good, but a script from that hack fraud Lindelof, which was bad.

anyhow, looper guy directing the next one I'm good with. young directors with the energy to continue doing stuff the hard way instead of just sitting around waiting for CGI to be rendered is what we want. jurassic world guy for Ep 9, eh hopefully he'll pick up enough of the tricks to do more than just a competent job. it's good that Disney is avoiding the potential for lazy old George Lucas / Peter Jackson syndrome.
I love irrational Lindelof hatred, but that aside the director and what get's left in and out from a script I think is hugely important. Pacing, expository dialogue and look and feel are driven by the director as well as demanding rewrites from scripts that aren't quite working.

Perhaps directors get too much credit but leaving JJ in their would likely give you a similar feel to the previous one and the fear is that its easier for him in a sequel to repeat what worked and gloss over what didn't rather than to push it to somewhere else.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #507
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I want a Martin Scorsese Star Wars. Crazy tracking shots, narrators, amazing soundtrack, brutal violence ... Leonardo DiCaprio, etc.
I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic, but I'm glad that they didn't cast some bigshot A-lister as the lead roles in the new movie. Obviously they had to do Harrison Ford for Han, but I think it would have been distracting to a degree having Brad Pitt as Finn and Scar Jo as Rey, for instance. These performers have previous acts that regular audiences associate them with.

Boyega & Ridley being fairly unknown prior to these roles, makes it so much more special. They'll forever be known for being Finn & Rey. Just like Hamill & Fisher are always Luke and Leia in our hearts.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #508
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Watched the whole thing, and he basically sums up all my feelings about the movie. Well done.
HelloGreedo has an amazing Youtube channel. I've been hooked on it for a long time. He's not just an obnoxious fanboy, he's level headed and makes a lot of good points.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #509
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic, but I'm glad that they didn't cast some bigshot A-lister as the lead roles in the new movie. Obviously they had to do Harrison Ford for Han, but I think it would have been distracting to a degree having Brad Pitt as Finn and Scar Jo as Rey, for instance. These performers have previous acts that regular audiences associate them with.

Boyega & Ridley being fairly unknown prior to these roles, makes it so much more special. They'll forever be known for being Finn & Rey. Just like Hamill & Fisher are always Luke and Leia in our hearts.
I dunno, to me Mark Hamill will always be cockknocker in my heart.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #510
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I dunno, to me Mark Hamill will always be cockknocker in my heart.
You'd be hard-pressed to find a better voice actor for Joker than Mark Hamill!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #511
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Alright so here's my take on Rey/Ben sister/brother/cousin/no relation...

I loved the movie, the more that I think about it, the more I like it. I can't wait to watch it again, which I'll be doing shortly. I'm currently reading the novelization, which is canon, so it does elaborate on a few scenes, can't wait to see the deleted scenes from the movie(or a directors cut).

My theory:
Spoiler!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #512
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd find it hard to believe 2 parents wouldn't recognize their own daughter, and I think it would be pretty bad writing to have us accept that. Not that it's beyond Hollywood, but they'd really have to have a good explanation to convince me. Like she was taken while very very young.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #513
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished seeing it for the second time. I feel a lot better about the final lightsaber fight than I previously did.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #514
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd find it hard to believe 2 parents wouldn't recognize their own daughter, and I think it would be pretty bad writing to have us accept that. Not that it's beyond Hollywood, but they'd really have to have a good explanation to convince me. Like she was taken while very very young.
Well in her flashback, she was taken very young. Like 4-6 years old it looks like.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #515
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So would a child change so much in 15 years that a parent wouldn't recognize them?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #516
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #517
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So would a child change so much in 15 years that a parent wouldn't recognize them?
Han and Leia both notice something in Rey... but don't know what. And if you think you daughter is dead via the hands of your son 15 years ago... it maybe understandable that you wouldn't recognize her.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #518
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the books that was released alongside the movie was the Incredible Cross-Sections book for kids: http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Awake...dp/1465438157/

Here's the page for Rey's Speeder:
Spoiler!

It's interesting that it's something she built from scrap she acquired on Jakku, and is difficult for anyone but Rey to pilot. That's basically exactly like Anakin with his pod racer in Episode I.

So, not only does she bear a striking resemblance to Natalie Portman, but she has skills that are remarkably similar to Anakin's before he received any Jedi training.

Add to this the fact that when they announced the Anthology films earlier this year, Disney clearly stated that the numbered Episodes would tell the story of the Skywalker family, I don't see any way that Rey isn't the granddaughter of Anakin and Padme. The only real questions I see are whether she's Leia's or Luke's daughter, and who brought her to Jakku.

I think that Han and Leia know who Rey is. The only question is if they've told her, or if it will be revealed to her at the same time it's revealed to the audience.

If they want to have a "No, I am your father" level shock in Episode VIII, I could see them making it seem like Luke is her father and he brought her to Jakku to save her from Ren's attack, only to have Ren reveal that she is his sister and it was him who saved her in his last act of goodness.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #519
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default *SPOILER DISCUSSION* Star Wars The Force Awakens *POST HERE AFTER SEEING THE ...

I would like to know what the age difference is between Rey and Kylo. Is it possible that Rey is Leia's daughter, not with Han? The relationship and timeline of Leia and Han isn't really known. Did Kylo get messed up a long, long time ago and Leia and Hans marriage / galactic union cease to exist around the time that Rey might have been conceived and given up for adoption / whatever. I like the idea that Rey has the Skywalker lineage in that way, as convoluted as it may be.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #520
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Han Solo knows who she is though -- at the cantina, Maz asks him "Who's the girl?" and he gets kind of a funny look on his face. The camera cuts away before he can respond, then the next scene is her going to get her Force vision and Maz talking all mystically. She's a Skywalker.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote