Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #501
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are you saying people would take advantage of free parking at hospitals? Why? Hospitals aren’t really near anything worth trying to park there for free. Foothills isn’t close enough to anything worthwhile, and PL is next to lots of parking for the malls so nobody would need to use a spot at PL to go shopping at Sunridge.
Hospital staff would probably take up a lot of the spots instead of paying for a parking permit, for starters.

and depending where the hospitals are.
Edmonton University hospital is right on campus. If it wasn't pay parking, you'd never be able to get a spot.

anyway, I just read Bob Newhart is still alive and kicking at 93.
that's pretty cool.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #502
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

As soon as I get an email from someone trying to recall an email, I immediately open and read the email trying to be recalled.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #503
Knut

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567346709365407746
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #504
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d like to record people trying to use the rear-exit door on the bus and compile them all into a huge “Now This” segment for Last Week Tonight.

Also, when I see someone not move their belongings off the vacant seat when a bunch of people get on, I immediately gravitate to that seat just to provide a life lesson in proper bus etiquette.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #505
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I’d like to record people trying to use the rear-exit door on the bus and compile them all into a huge “Now This” segment for Last Week Tonight.

Also, when I see someone not move their belongings off the vacant seat when a bunch of people get on, I immediately gravitate to that seat just to provide a life lesson in proper bus etiquette.
Do some people ride the bus because the are ignorant and selfish or does riding the bus make some people ignorant and selfish

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #506
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Do some people ride the bus because the are ignorant and selfish or does riding the bus make some people ignorant and selfish

Could you imagine them driving?

disclaimer: I am a wonderful driver, but the bus is cheaper.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 09:51 PM   #507
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure if my negative feelings towards this are justified or not, so help me out.

Wife’s on Mat leave. Lots of big changes in her work, total reorg and new managers etc. She asked to be engaged, hasn’t heard from anyone outside of a couple of work friends w/ workplace gossip.

She’s more qualified than several internal candidates yet was entirely passed over for consideration while they were promoted, and I can’t shake feeling it’s because of her Mat leave.

Anyhow, move on to yesterday. She speaks with a manager who wants her to do an assignment as part of the interview process for one of the positions she applied for. And not like, a technical assignment per say, but a multi year strategy for a multi billion dollar company, delivered via PP.

Due Monday. She has to turn all her work stuff in, so she’s at a tech disadvantage with other internals, hasn’t been involved in 9 months in the companies massive changes, and is looking after an infant, and has 3 days to get back into full-on powerhouse mode. For a job she will almost certainly not be offered because she’s on Mat leave anyhow.

Are employers really this dickheaded? Hey, here’s a couple of days notice for a major assignment, hope you weren’t planning anything.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:05 PM   #508
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Are employers really this dickheaded?
Oh you sweet summer child.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #509
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pylon’s custom user title is Not Chris Butler

Chris Butler says he’s not Boring Sean Monahan

Pylon is Boring Sean Monahan
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 08:03 PM   #510
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Not sure if my negative feelings towards this are justified or not, so help me out.

Wife’s on Mat leave. Lots of big changes in her work, total reorg and new managers etc. She asked to be engaged, hasn’t heard from anyone outside of a couple of work friends w/ workplace gossip.

She’s more qualified than several internal candidates yet was entirely passed over for consideration while they were promoted, and I can’t shake feeling it’s because of her Mat leave.

Anyhow, move on to yesterday. She speaks with a manager who wants her to do an assignment as part of the interview process for one of the positions she applied for. And not like, a technical assignment per say, but a multi year strategy for a multi billion dollar company, delivered via PP.

Due Monday. She has to turn all her work stuff in, so she’s at a tech disadvantage with other internals, hasn’t been involved in 9 months in the companies massive changes, and is looking after an infant, and has 3 days to get back into full-on powerhouse mode. For a job she will almost certainly not be offered because she’s on Mat leave anyhow.

Are employers really this dickheaded? Hey, here’s a couple of days notice for a major assignment, hope you weren’t planning anything.
At first glance it might seem she’s getting skipped over and to some degree she’s being bypassed as she is away. If someone else was away for an extended time (mat leave, health, leave of absence, etc) it would be the same. Given it sounds like a total re-org there will be bad decisions and so if/when she goes back and if she is indeed a high performer it’s likely she will be noticed and opportunities may open up. Sh*t happens and to fight all corporate decisions and raise a stink can often back fire. In the big picture this is short term annoying but in a year or more will be meaningless.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:37 PM   #511
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Health Canada is predicting a huge flu outbreak this winter based on the numbers coming out of Australia. Now just imagine the mass confusion in the workplace when someone shows up to work feeling under the weather with sniffles added in.

Is it Covid or is it just the flu and a cold?

Fun times are a coming for employers and employees.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #512
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Living in the Pacific time zone sucks for sports watching
Old 09-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #513
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well, they’re aholes for showing up to work with a cold, covid or the flu. Does it matter what it is?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #514
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Health Canada is predicting a huge flu outbreak this winter based on the numbers coming out of Australia. Now just imagine the mass confusion in the workplace when someone shows up to work feeling under the weather with sniffles added in.

Oh its going to be wild.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #515
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

One would hope that where possible employers would allow their employees to work from home if they are sick or provide a reasonable amount of paid sick days.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #516
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
One would hope that where possible employers would allow their employees to work from home if they are sick or provide a reasonable amount of paid sick days.
This is just going to be a nightmare.

We all know that one jackass who uses sick days like flex days and ruined it for everyone else, or that hardcase boss that could be knocking on Death's door and coming in to work anyways because 'hes tough' or any number of similar confluences.

So the real sick people are going to get screwed because we cant have nice things.

You know what happens to me??

I work alone, so if I'm sick during Tax Season I am screwed. I have cancelled appointments, resorted to drop-offs, etc. but I still have to work but nobody else is getting sick.

But you know what else happens a staggering amount of the time?

"Hey Locke, I called in sick at work today *hacks lung onto floor* so I figured what an opportune moment to get my taxes done!"

Thanks. Just....yeah...thanks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #517
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

It's pretty straightforward at my place of work. If you come in with a fever, cough, etc they will send you home. No sick people allowed. Even if a person just has the common flu you don't want it being spread through work.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #518
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Absolutely best for NFL.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:35 PM   #519
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is just going to be a nightmare.

We all know that one jackass who uses sick days like flex days and ruined it for everyone else, or that hardcase boss that could be knocking on Death's door and coming in to work anyways because 'hes tough' or any number of similar confluences.

So the real sick people are going to get screwed because we cant have nice things.

You know what happens to me??

I work alone, so if I'm sick during Tax Season I am screwed. I have cancelled appointments, resorted to drop-offs, etc. but I still have to work but nobody else is getting sick.

But you know what else happens a staggering amount of the time?

"Hey Locke, I called in sick at work today *hacks lung onto floor* so I figured what an opportune moment to get my taxes done!"

Thanks. Just....yeah...thanks.
Couldn’t you do most of their taxes remotely in this day and age or just tell them you’d rather see them when they are feeling better?

As for the above examples about the abuse of sick days, I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as you’re making it out to be but even if it were it can effectively be addressed with the right policies. As for the boss who shows up sick as hell, their employees have the right to refuse unsafe work do they not?
Old 09-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #520
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't know if it's because I grew up here and it's just what I'm used to, but I've always felt the Mountain time zone was best for sports because 7:00pm ET games are starting when you get home from work, but 7:00pm PT games are still usually over before 11.