Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #5041
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And then there is a flip side. Why is the deficit budget bad for me? Realistically please. Don't do the "saddle ur kids with debts BS" because things don't work like that.

And no, I'm not saying that having deficits is good or preferable. I'm just not in favor of a sales tax.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #5042
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
And then there is a flip side. Why is the deficit budget bad for me? Realistically please. Don't do the "saddle ur kids with debts BS" because things don't work like that.

And no, I'm not saying that having deficits is good or preferable. I'm just not in favor of a sales tax.
Because your province has no fiscal room in the case of a disaster or recession and continued dependence on royalty revenue will hamper the possibility of future economic diversification. You are in the process of turning Alberta into a toilet for future economic investment.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #5043
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Because your province has no fiscal room in the case of a disaster or recession and continued dependence on royalty revenue will hamper the possibility of future economic diversification. You are in the process of turning Alberta into a toilet for future economic investment.
So they borrow. Economy grows, debt gets cheaper. If in trouble, feds run inflation, debt shrinks.
Rinse and repeat. Been done to death.

Governments don't pay off debts the way you or I do.

Fiscal hole or not, this will not matter or me or you. It's political points.

To a point. Just want to make that clear. Alberta can run deficits for a long time and still be in better shape than rest of Canada. And we don't exaclty hear them going bankrupt.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #5044
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
So AB doesn't have to rely on a volatile resource revenue?
Sure, then all those public sector wages that were negotiated on when we did rely on a volatile resource can be rolled back as well. Or are those off limits? Or are those who work(ed) in said volatile resource industry the only ones who have to sacrifice?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #5045
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not sure how adding a PST solves the governments spending problem.
The more we give em the more they'll waste.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #5046
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Speaking as a small-minded consumer; when I make a purchase I want the ticket price to be the final cost. It boggles my mind trying to calculate an additional 5 or 10% at the till. Hide the tax and everyone will pay without all the hatred/drama.
I'm in favor of an HST for Alberta but fall squarely in the camp of NOT showing an all in price. To me it's important we are reminded of the amount of tax in each and every purchase. And it's dead simple to figure out a 10% tax or even a 5% tax, you can do it in your head. The oddball numbers like 7% yeah, it's a little more mental gymnastics but still you can do a pretty accurate estimate in your head.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #5047
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So they borrow. Economy grows, debt gets cheaper. If in trouble, feds run inflation, debt shrinks.
Rinse and repeat. Been done to death.

Governments don't pay off debts the way you or I do.

Fiscal hole or not, this will not matter or me or you. It's political points.

To a point. Just want to make that clear. Alberta can run deficits for a long time and still be in better shape than rest of Canada. And we don't exaclty hear them going bankrupt.
Just out of curiosity, how did you feel when the NDP was doing this?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #5048
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm in favor of an HST for Alberta but fall squarely in the camp of NOT showing an all in price. To me it's important we are reminded of the amount of tax in each and every purchase. And it's dead simple to figure out a 10% tax or even a 5% tax, you can do it in your head. The oddball numbers like 7% yeah, it's a little more mental gymnastics but still you can do a pretty accurate estimate in your head.
True, the math itself is not really an issue but every time you do it you are reminded of a tax you don’t like paying. If you want to profit from consumers’ spending habits you should make each purchase as pleasant as possible.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #5049
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you feel when the NDP was doing this?
They were here for 4 years. How did they hurt you exactly?

By 2024 you will beg for the NDP deficits. We will call them the good old days.

And enough with the NDP. They have become the Trumpers Obama. An excuse for everything. You guys are better than that.

PST crowd. Ask people in PST provinces if their issues got fixed and if they would drop the PST given a chance.

Don't take it from me.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #5050
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The more we give em the more they'll waste.
Who is we, and who is they?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #5051
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Well, at least since deficits are fine we don't have to worry about the price of oil crashing.

(I'm aware houses and governments operate in very different ways and sometimes a deficit is OK. Overall, Alberta's balance sheet is in pretty good shape compared to other provinces but we have structural challenges in the long term if we continue to base everything on the price of oil)
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #5052
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Black Monday sure sucked.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #5053
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
but...why?

taxes are never going away and theres nothing i can do about it, i'd rather just know the final price of whatever i'm buying outright. it is truly odd we dont include taxes in the price of everything. they could include the pre-tax price on your receipt if you're morbidly curious for some reason
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #5054
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Well, at least since deficits are fine we don't have to worry about the price of oil crashing.

(I'm aware houses and governments operate in very different ways and sometimes a deficit is OK. Overall, Alberta's balance sheet is in pretty good shape compared to other provinces but we have structural challenges in the long term if we continue to base everything on the price of oil)
We can collect PST and bail out the O&G sector. Murray Edwards would probably move back to Canada too
Old 03-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #5055
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
We can collect PST and bail out the O&G sector. Murray Edwards would probably move back to Canada too
We can bail them out without a PST. Deficits are fine! Spend spend spend!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #5056
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
True, the math itself is not really an issue but every time you do it you are reminded of a tax you don’t like paying. If you want to profit from consumers’ spending habits you should make each purchase as pleasant as possible.
That is the point, to be reminded of the tax.

From a consumer perspective I want to see the effect of the tax each and every time. But I agree from a government perspective making the tax as transparent as possible by rolling it into the sticker price is desirable.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #5057
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They were here for 4 years. How did they hurt you exactly?

By 2024 you will beg for the NDP deficits. We will call them the good old days.

And enough with the NDP. They have become the Trumpers Obama. An excuse for everything. You guys are better than that.

PST crowd. Ask people in PST provinces if their issues got fixed and if they would drop the PST given a chance.

Don't take it from me.
I'm asking whether or not you supported them running up the deficit, because that's what you're advocating for right now. Really just seeing if you were consistently advocating for deficit spending (frankly, that's a fine viewpoint to have).

I can't even tell with your response what your opinion is.

Last edited by Regorium; 03-09-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #5058
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is the point, to be reminded of the tax.

From a consumer perspective I want to see the effect of the tax each and every time. But I agree from a government perspective making the tax as transparent as possible by rolling it into the sticker price is desirable.
Do we really want every receipt to look like an Enmax bill.

Item 1...XXX Dollars
Service fee
delivery fee
rate rider fee
System access fee
Shelf allocation adjustment tax
Just because I can tax...
Old 03-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #5059
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I'm asking whether or not you supported them running up the deficit, because that's what you're advocating for right now. Really just seeing if you were consistently advocating for deficit spending (frankly, that's a fine viewpoint to have).

I can't even tell with your response what your opinion is.
Sorry, should have answered in the other post. I was for borrowing for infrastructure. I was also for the Olympics. And I was really excited for the transit plans here which some are not shelved. All of which would have put us in the red, but I believe we'd be better off long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #5060
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So should Teck be thanking the protesters now?

What is the break even on oil sands oil? $28/barrel?