Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #5041
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I want to know why everyone kind of forgot about Arya and her super[assassin]powers. No mention during their strategy meeting...do these guys just truly suck at battle strategy?
I think at least she's not soooo open with it. Sure she can throw knives and got the drop on the Night King but I don't know if everyone realizes she destroyed the Freys while using a dead person's face. The extend of her powers are still hidden to most people.

But let's not forget that they have Bran who can literally see everything that's happening and has been very vocal that he can and they still got ambushed by Euron.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #5042
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #5043
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

fata

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #5044
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Do the others know about her "super[assassin]powers"? I think they know that she is skilled with weapons and very sneaky, but I don't think she told them about all her capabilities. Especially if Arya doesn't trust Dany.
I know I'd be asking Arya, So how'd you sneak up on the 8,000 year old super monster with greensight? Anything useful there?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #5045
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
What? are you serious? hahaha

Even Greyworm's balls were sweating and he doesn't have any, after she beheaded his GF.
Public executions are meant to intimidate. It’s a display of power.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #5046
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think at least she's not soooo open with it. Sure she can throw knives and got the drop on the Night King but I don't know if everyone realizes she destroyed the Freys while using a dead person's face. The extend of her powers are still hidden to most people.

But let's not forget that they have Bran who can literally see everything that's happening and has been very vocal that he can and they still got ambushed by Euron.

You would think there would be tons of questions and rumours about who the girl from the north that killed the Freys was (remember she pulled off her mask in front of the staff). No one connected the dots?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #5047
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
You would think there would be tons of questions and rumours about who the girl from the north that killed the Freys was (remember she pulled off her mask in front of the staff). No one connected the dots?
Wait has anyone even mentioned the Freys since that episode?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #5048
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Wait has anyone even mentioned the Freys since that episode?
Jaime did in the same episode to Cersei when they were standing over the big map of Westeros in King's Landing planning the defense... "You heard what happened to the Freys"
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #5049
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The show has reinforced this the last few seasons: As much as Tyrion is praised for being smart and brilliant, he has been constantly misjudging and underestimating Cersei. He has almost no clue about her motivations and thought processes.
I have been thinking this since he has been an advisor/hand to the Queen.

Makes peace with the masters and slavers: Fails and they lose their only fleet of ships. Greyworm and Missandei lose face because they felt obligated to back him.

Convinces Dany to leave Darrio and the Second Sons behind to keep rule of salvers bay. Neutral decision in my mind since Essos is now effectively written out of the show (My guess is she goes back there btw).

Convinces Dany not to attack Kings Landing with her largest force that she ever has. Neutral? Hard to say if this was good or bad knowing what we know now.

Convinces Dany to attack Casterly Rock. Fails immensely. They lose Highgarden, Iron Fleet, Unsullied fleet and the Dornish army while capturing a mostly empty Casterly Rock castle.

Convinces Dany to form an alliance with Jon. Good, now has a strong ally with the North.

Convinces Dany to meet with Cersei. Fails, Cersei never sends her army.

Parlay with Cersei. Fails, Missandei dies.

For all the praise he has received he has been a pretty terrible hand to the Queen if you ask me.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #5050
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Well, tough to be a good Hand when the Queen enjoys joyriding on dragons and misses - you know - that fleet over there. Cause she forgot.

I think Tyrion's really going through a sunk-cost scenario here: hmm, I bent the knee, and she said she'd break the wheel, and she's not Cersei-level evil, but - goddammit, put down the glue, Dany.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #5051
Knut

Exp:

Maybe Tyrion is angling for the throne.

Weaken Dany and do something to weaken Cersei as well. Most die except him.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #5052
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cersei has always been about herself and the power she can wield. She's standing on the top of the forefront of the castle wall, along with all her advisors/allies. She is in direct harm if she unleashes hell.

All she was trying to do was provoke Danyerys to do what Cersei had always wanted her to do: make Dany the enemy by having her slaughtering innocents in an attempt to get at her for revenge.

The writing may not be as sharp as it was, but it seems to be out of grasp for a solid section of fans.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #5053
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speculation that there are 3 more Drogon babies coming? From the opening credits of last episode:

Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #5054
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Speculation that there are 3 more Drogon babies coming? From the opening credits of last episode:

Could just be a representation of Dany's 3 dragons and Balerion, the biggest dragon of the first Targaryen king.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #5055
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Could just be a representation of Dany's 3 dragons and Balerion, the biggest dragon of the first Targaryen king.
Hmm interesting, that could be it, i just wonder what has Euron spooked

Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #5056
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon impregnated Daenyrys with replacement dragons. Who, given the current ignoring of time-space, will fully grow in about two minutes.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #5057
AltaGuy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The writing may not be as sharp as it was, but it seems to be out of grasp for a solid section of fans.
Yeah, the show's just too damn smart now.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #5058
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_12 View Post
hmm interesting, that could be it, i just wonder what has euron spooked

https://twitter.com/user/status/1126246009770774528
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #5059
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post

That has been in the opening credits all season so far not just the last episode.

The images depicted on the astrolabe in the opening credits have always used the lion/stag/wolf/dragon images as representations of the different families in the story.

In the previous seasons, it showed:
  1. A dragon beside a volcano, representing the Doom of Valyria
  2. A dragon being killed by a stag, lion, and wolf, representing Robert's Rebellion
  3. A stag standing victorious as a lion and other animals bow down to it, representing Robert claiming the throne

This season, they changed the images on the astrolabe to depict events that have happened on the show.
  1. Now, it starts with a dragon breathing fire on a wall, representing the Night King and Viserion.
  2. That is followed by the image of a skinless man holding the head of a wolf as a lion watches on with a fish in its mouth. Between them is a large stone archway which has the wolf's body hanging from it, filled with arrows. This represents the Red Wedding.
  3. Finally, we get this image of the large dragon with three smaller dragons and a comet in the sky. The most likely interpretation of this is that the large dragon represents Dany and the three smaller dragons are her "children" dragons. The comet in the sky shows the time frame for this because there was a red comet in the sky during the first season of the show.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #5060
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Cersei has always been about herself and the power she can wield. She's standing on the top of the forefront of the castle wall, along with all her advisors/allies. She is in direct harm if she unleashes hell.

All she was trying to do was provoke Danyerys to do what Cersei had always wanted her to do: make Dany the enemy by having her slaughtering innocents in an attempt to get at her for revenge.

The scene wasn't a huge problem for me, but surely you can understand why people are annoyed with the setup. I mean everyone who tries to kill a Dragon is a crack shot. Bronn hit a dragon, Night King hits one, second dragon is killed with ease. The ballistas destroyed a fleet in a matter of moments. Based on how events have unfolded in the show it seems like Cersei could have easily killed everyone.

I think it's poor writing to have the scene setup how it was in the first place. Perhaps the only reason for the scene was the pregnancy give away by Tyrion? We already knew Cersie is heartless, killing Missandei doesn't need to do that.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote